so my buddy says that i wont get a good tone out of my tube amp unless i use the tone on the amp.
well i have tried everything and messed with the EQ and i couldnt get a good tone.
so i bought an overdrive pedal [bad monkey].
i messed with that for hours and got a decent tone, but now theres a really bad buzzing when i dont play.
so i was wondering if i get a pedal, will i really not getting the full potential of my amp? i do plan on getting one / some, but also i was wondering what i should get:
-a multieffect pedal
-a buncha stompboxes / individual pedals
-boss or digitech or line 6?
-any specific models you would recomend?
judging by his profile, he plays on a valveking.

and if you get a buzzing noise.. then..
um.
unless it's so loud that you hear it while playing it shouldn't be a problem.
most people that play guitar.. play when their amp is on with the guitar in it..
so it shouldn't be a problem.. and if you need to stop playing for a part in a song or something then just switch the pedal off.
Last edited by TechnicolorType at Sep 12, 2008,
that and multieffects blow, just get separate pedals
you get, dedication to that affect, only the effect you want, nothing extra to distract you
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
hard to say

what amp
what do you play
what kind of effects do you want

peavey valveking
metal/ deathcore / melo death
i want like a volume control, distorsion, and maybe wah
Quote by TechnicolorType
judging by his profile, he plays on a valveking.

and if you get a buzzing noise.. then..
um.
unless it's so loud that you hear it while playing it shouldn't be a problem.
most people that play guitar.. play when their amp is on with the guitar in it..
so it shouldn't be a problem.. and if you need to stop playing for a part in a song or something then just switch the pedal off.

yea but like some parts i cant just shut it on and off. like if i was playing stacatto and my other guitarist is playing a kick ass riff and the drummer is muting the symbols, you know what im talking about?
get an ISP decimator or some other noise gate/reduction pedal to stop the buzzing
Gear:

MIA Fender Stratocaster
Jackson Kelly KE3
Ibanez Universe
Marshall JCM 800
Orange Jim Root Terror
Mesa 2x12
Ovation Custom Balladeer
pedals and such in profile
Quote by chillage656
yea but like some parts i cant just shut it on and off. like if i was playing stacatto and my other guitarist is playing a kick ass riff and the drummer is muting the symbols, you know what im talking about?

once more a noise cancellation pedal, just try out a few and see what you like because some of them change your tone or rob sustain, so really look into it
dude if you're playing something you won't even hear it..

the only way to make my amp sound to my liking is by using an overdrive pedal and I get an annoying buzz to, but the volume is about 50 times louder then it.
like seriously. if I stop playing you can hear it but when I play it is so much louder that you could never hear it when playing in a band or something.

heck, if I remove my hands off my guitar and wait a second or two it starts giving this high pitched scream and I don't complain about it.
Quote by TechnicolorType
dude if you're playing something you won't even hear it..

the only way to make my amp sound to my liking is by using an overdrive pedal and I get an annoying buzz to, but the volume is about 50 times louder then it.
like seriously. if I stop playing you can hear it but when I play it is so much louder that you could never hear it when playing in a band or something.

heck, if I remove my hands off my guitar and wait a second or two it starts giving this high pitched scream and I don't complain about it.

that scream is called feedback, and the buzz will muddy you up at low volumes, which alot of people play at
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
Quote by ShredGod George
that scream is called feedback, and the buzz will muddy you up at low volumes, which alot of people play at

exactly. so like when i play i can hear the buzzing. and when i play live the same happens and it just sounds like shit when i play and even worse when i play
noise reduction. that's what happens when you play high gain stuff. some people dont like it, but you obviously need a noise reducer.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
your tone isn't going to really change with pedals. A bluesy amp with a metal muff on it still isn't going to sound right for metal IMO.

the best thing would be something like a tubescreamer. OD pedals are designed using soft clipping. the tubescreamer actually uses softclipping and combines it with your original signal to help keep the amps same sin curve, which helps keeps its tone.

maybe someone could explain it better? But most of your tone comes from your amp. If you think your amp has bad tone, I would suggest getting a new amp, but I know money isn't easy to come by, especially if you are younger lol
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Some buzz is normal with a high gain pedal, especially if you're using single-coil pups, but if it's overwhelming then something is probably wrong.

Are you using an external power supply with the pedal? If so, you might have a cheap power supply with poor filters or regulation. Try it with a battery and see if it clears up.

If you get feedback even when the strings are muted then you may have microphonic pickups. Next time you change strings try holding the guitar up to your amp when the strings are removed and crank up the gain. If you get feedback then your pickups are microphonic, and need to be potted.