I currently have a 4x10 cab that is, unfortunately, stuff with poor speakers. Seeing that it was used with my CPB150 (SS) amp, I am wondering if it's a worthwhile investment to upgrade the speakers.

Issue is:
a) currently using with CPB150. Chances of using it as a bass amp: 50%
b) Chances of using it with a 50w amp head: 10%. It's unlikely I will be using a 50w tube head.
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
BluesJr 1996-B + cathode follower + texas Heat
Crate CPB150
Homemade 4 x 10 cab Bass closeback
Metal Muff
if all those scenarios are unlikely and it was from a cab for a ss head my guess is no it is not worth it.

what is the amp and cab btw?

even cheaper speaker like warehouseguitarspeakers.com are almost $70 a pop so over $300 with shipping. Good speakers will be $500+. I'd rather just have a nice combo myself.

do you gig?
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
if all those scenarios are unlikely and it was from a cab for a ss head my guess is no it is not worth it.

what is the amp and cab btw?

even cheaper speaker like warehouseguitarspeakers.com are almost $70 a pop so over $300 with shipping. Good speakers will be $500+. I'd rather just have a nice combo myself.

do you gig?

That's the thing. I do not forsee my self as gigging (only play with friends for fun), and the only reason why I would use that cab and amp head is for bass use only.

The amp is CPB150, and the cab is a bass style-homemade cab out of unknown wood. It is made to the style of traynor, with two "rubber band" on the side, and blue vinyl covering.

Since I already have a BluesJunior, for the most part, I am satisfy with running it to the cab, which I had upgraded to a Texas Heat (when I need more metal sounding)
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
Crate CPB150
Metal Muff
huh?

so you're running your Blues Jr into the cheap 4x12 cab that you upgraded to Texas Heats (already)?

and now you want to use it as a bass cab for a bass guitar?

and you are wondering if you should upgrade the speakers?
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
huh?

so you're running your Blues Jr into the cheap 4x12 cab that you upgraded to Texas Heats (already)?

and now you want to use it as a bass cab for a bass guitar?

and you are wondering if you should upgrade the speakers?

No. what happen is this:
I have a Blues Junior, which I have upgraded its speaker to texas Heat. I also have a 4x10 bass cab, and the CPB150 SS amp head.

Currently, I connect the texas heat in the Blues Jr to the CPB150 for practice purpose, as BluesJr is loud.

I plan to upgrade the bass cab, and use the CPB150 as a bass amp, with a possiblity of using it for an actual tube head. However, since the chance of me playing a gig is small, I am wondering if that is a worthwhile investment.
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
Crate CPB150
Metal Muff
Last edited by Jestersage at Sep 12, 2008,
wow dude. my head is spinnin...

let me think about that and i'm not an expert so....

can you make a simple diagram? or the > > > thing

if your CPB150 is ss now how are you going to use it as a tube head? Or did i screw that up? Sorry if I'm not following. I don't even know what a CPB150 is. All i know is that you shouldn't plug a bass guitar into a guitar amp. Other way around is OK tho.

uuumm, so you have the speaker in the BJ connected to the CPB now?

*goes to take a bio break*
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
wow dude. my head is spinnin...

let me think about that and i'm not an expert so....

can you make a simple diagram? or the > > > thing

if your CPB150 is ss now how are you going to use it as a tube head? Or did i screw that up? Sorry if I'm not following. I don't even know what a CPB150 is. All i know is that you shouldn't plug a bass guitar into a guitar amp. Other way around is OK tho.

uuumm, so you have the speaker in the BJ connected to the CPB now?

Okay...

This is CPB150 PowerBlock , which I wrote the review on. As many on the internet had pointed out, this amp may sucks as a main guitar amp, but works well as a bass amp and backup amp. Furthermore, for a small room metal sound, it sounds better than the Blues Junior, which gets too loud.

Since a cab is a cab (factoring into quality, speakers, etc), if I decide to upgrade my gear, I can plug in a real amp (which must have tubes). The issue is whether it's worthwhile to upgrade the speaker or not.

And yes, I have the speaker in the BJ connected to the PowerBlock now. as long as I don't plug the BJ in and turn it on, it will be fine.
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
Crate CPB150
Metal Muff
Ok...

thanks. i'll re-read but understand better now.

ok, ya...i get it. Didn't know you could run those into a 4x12. 150 watt RMS huh? Impressive. It has tons of interfaces. I can see why you might want to upgrade speakers. I'm def out of my leage so...
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Sep 13, 2008,
So what you're saying, is that you:

1: Want to use you CPB150 as a bass amp.

2: Want to know whether or not it's worth bothering to upgrade your speakers in the cab.

3: Want to know if getting a tube head would be worth it considering you won't be gigging.

Am I correct?
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
Quote by SSL27
So what you're saying, is that you:

1: Want to use you CPB150 as a bass amp.

2: Want to know whether or not it's worth bothering to upgrade your speakers in the cab.

3: Want to know if getting a tube head would be worth it considering you won't be gigging.

Except #3 is more like close to unlikely instead of outright no, you got it right. The heads that interest me, aside from 50watts, also include but not limited to Valve Senior Head and any other small wattage head, as their power and functions are already duplicated by my Blues Junior.
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
Crate CPB150
Metal Muff
Last edited by Jestersage at Sep 13, 2008,
yeah, i would get a smaller wattage tube head and run that into your cab after matching ohms of course. At that point your Crate pre/power amp thing might be able to be used in other ways. Can you hook your guitar to Crate box to BJ? what happens?

i think i want something similar to this but only really fro XLR in and USB and headphone jack out.

so what about the bass guitar again? you're talkin bass tube head right?

Can you -

guitar > Crate box > tube head > cab?

bottom line, i wouldn't change speakers until you get a new head unless you are worried about low frequencies and depending on your budget. sorry,...it's late
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
yeah, i would get a smaller wattage tube head and run that into your cab after matching ohms of course. At that point your Crate pre/power amp thing might be able to be used in other ways. Can you hook your guitar to Crate box to BJ? what happens?

i think i want something similar to this but only really fro XLR in and USB and headphone jack out.

so what about the bass guitar again? you're talkin bass tube head right?

Can you -

guitar > Crate box > tube head > cab?

bottom line, i wouldn't change speakers until you get a new head unless you are worried about low frequencies and depending on your budget. sorry,...it's late

Okay, to connect my PowerBlock to the Blues Junior, I first have to disconnect the amp from the power socket, then disconnect the speaker from the Blues Junior's speaker output, then connect it to the spk out of my Blues Junior. basically, I just use it as a cab.

And the bass amp, the powerblock works nice for a bass amp by itself, so I am planning:
bass>Flipster pedal>powerblock>4x10cab

Yeah, so i guess I will have to think about it a bit. Maybe get a bit wages first.
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
Crate CPB150
Metal Muff