this mite have been answered before and i did use the search bar and could not find anything relevant to this musical concept.

how to construct a 9th chord

i know all my triads and sevenths (even both diatonically to the major scales AND to those weird egyptian/hungarian weirdo scales that sound funny)

but how do i make 9th chords? whats the formula and rules to these? is it as straight forward as triads and 7th's? or is it something completely different?

thats all, post up por favor
schecter hellraiser c-1 fr
GAS list...
Mesa roadster with 2/12 recto cab
PGM 301
98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels
Where X represents any note, just like in math...

Xmaj9: 1 3 5 7 9
X7: 1 3 5 b7 9
Xm7: 1 b3 5 b7 9
Xm/maj9: 1 b3 5 7 9

The fifth can usually be left out at the descretion of the performer/composer.
9th chord = 1 3 5 7 9
or you can make an add 9 which is just 1 3 5 9
^^yip what BGC said. The 9th chord is a seventh chord plus a Major 9th.

So XMaj9 = Xmaj7 plus a Major 9.
X9 is a dominant 7 plus a Major 9.

11th and 13th chords are constructed in the same way.

On a side note a triad plus a Major 9 = Xadd9
Si
Quote by samburl
9th chord = 1 3 5 7 9
or you can make an add 9 which is just 1 3 5 9

Extensions beyond the seventh imply a b7 unless explicitly stated otherwise.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
I forgot all about add chords!

Add9 chords.

Xadd9: 1 3 5 9
Xadd11: 1 3 5 11
Xadd13: 1 3 5 13

I think you, TS, should be able to detect the pattern and figure out minor add chords yourself. Post them here and I'll tell you if you're right.

Quote by Archeo Avis
Extensions beyond the seventh imply a b7 unless explicitly stated otherwise.
Explicitly stating it would be something like Cmaj9, where you play B instead of Bb as the seventh.
Last edited by bangoodcharlote at Sep 12, 2008,
wow, thanks so much for the help. what would the formulas look like if i used the incriments of 3rds?

ie: Xm7=m3+M3+m3
XMaj7=M3+m3+M3

do you guys understand my formulation?
schecter hellraiser c-1 fr
GAS list...
Mesa roadster with 2/12 recto cab
PGM 301
98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels
Quote by xFinnellx
wow, thanks so much for the help. what would the formulas look like if i used the incriments of 3rds?

ie: Xm7=m3+M3+m3
XMaj7=M3+m3+M3

do you guys understand my formulation?

That is right for construction of the seventh chords.

9ths are not quite the same. They are seventh chords with a M9 from the root added. They are not constructed by stacking thirds in the same way. The 9ths are always Major.

If you really really wanted to you could work it out.

E.g.
X7 = M3+m3+m3+M3
Xm7=m3+M3+m3+M3
XMaj7=M3+m3+M3+m3
Xdim7=m3+m3+m3+Aug3

Just add whatever it takes to get from whatever seventh interval you have (major minor or diminished) to the M9.
EDIT: Doing this you'll see how it's different. In 7th chords the resulting quality of the 7th degree varies depending on what kind of third you stack.
In 9th chords the 3rd added to the seventh chord is determined by what is required to reach the M9. If that makes any sense.
Si
Last edited by 20Tigers at Sep 12, 2008,