Some of you may remember, I recently bought a cheap Strat. Anyways, I hate the saddles on it. They look really poor quality, and I'd like to upgrade them. However, I'm confused over whether to get some cast saddles, or bent ones, and what the differences in tone etc are, if any. The saddles on my Strat currently are of the "bent" variety.

They work OK for the moment, but the guitar is pretty new, and they don't inspire me with confidence. I don't really want to judge all bent saddles based upon how I don't like the ones on my really cheap guitar. So, can anyone tell me if there's any tonal difference (or sustain, etc) between these two:

?
Bent is what was used on the old fenders.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
well one's solid and one is sheet metal. Different tone more than anything else, I think.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
If by cast you mean like cast steel or w/e the way the make cast iron, it makes the molecular bonds in the metal less stable, causing it to be more brittle.
That's pretty much all i can offer.
Quote by Martin Scott
OK, cool. Does anyone know if there's a difference in sound or anything like that? There must be a reason why Fender went over to the cast ones.

They probably switched because it is cheaper.
Yeah i would imagine that bent gets better resonance and sound wave transfer than cast due to weaker bonds. Maybe you could try the Guitar Customizing forum?
i'm not a vintage expert by any means, but i think if you want a more vintage-accurate tone, go with bent.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well, I dunno the science behind it, but intuition tells me that bent saddles will sound thinner and twangier, due to their smaller contact area with the string and rest of the bridge.

I prefer block saddles myself, cos I rest my hand on the bridge a lot. 'Tis comfy on block saddles.