alright, so i started guitar about four years ago and skipped learning notes and chords and just played songs. in the past 6 months, i have become very serious about guitar playing. What chords should i learn to be considered advanced? i play metal. thanks.
Well, no matter what you play... you're gonna need to know all the basic chords, such as A, C, D, E, F, G, and a few variations of each such as the 7, 5, minor, etc.
mm four years and you dont know any chords?
well you got to learn all the major and minor open chords first, then barre chords, power chords. and the construction of chords is very important to know. ehh i can't really explain all of these so i'll let someone else do it.
My Gear:
-Laguna LE322
-Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
-Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal
-Yamaha Bass (Idk what model)

To Get:
-New Humbucker Pickups
Learn whatever chords you can. Best way to do it is apply them to songs you already know. If you know there's a bunch of single notes, just see if there's any chord that encompasses them. Personally though, in Metal, I hardly ever find my self playing with chords unless the song specifically calls for it.
Quote by RoamingConflict
In Soviet Russia, GAS deals with you.

Quote by Lumiere Rouge
A reviewer on Amazon.com reviewing an album by the band "HiM", said that HiM is "fag metal".
Can someone explain to me what is this sub genre of fag metal? I have never heard it before.
Quote by Trowa21
mm four years and you dont know any chords?
well you got to learn all the major and minor open chords first, then barre chords, power chords. and the construction of chords is very important to know. ehh i can't really explain all of these so i'll let someone else do it.

+1 chord construction knowledge is an important ally
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
i know all the basic chords like a, b, c, d but not their variations. and i only consider myself to have really played guitar for about six months
Quote by Deep*Kick
+1 chord construction knowledge is an important ally

+1, go here: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/general_music/the_crusade_part_i.html and start learning, keep learning until you reach the end of the series and understand what you're doing.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.