Hello UG.

For christmas I may be getting an amp and a head. Now, I have a couple choices but I have always loved ampeg. I found this particular combo on musicians friend for about 900 bucks on sale.

I was looking at a Ampeg B1RE Bass Head and a B410HE 4x10 cab. This combo boasts a 300 watt, 3 band EQ and four ohms. Plus poweramp and pre amp settings. I don't know much about amps and heads, but this sounds very good.

I do have other choices, probably ranging up to about $1,000.

here is the musicians friend link

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ampeg-B1RE-Bass-Head-and-B410HE-4x10-Half-Stack?sku=481728

thanks
DB Player
What will you be using the amp for? If you're not in a band and no future plans for doing shows or anything, (no point is having a bulky 4x10 unless you'll be putting it to use) I'd maybe look into the high end Ampeg tube combos like this:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ampeg-BA300210-2-x-10-Bass-Cab?sku=601117
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
I'm in a band. I am also in my schools jazz band and concert band. I'd like to have my own *not* practice amp, and I found that this would be great.

It isn't exactly my *budget* but it is for christmas and I know my mother is looking into getting me something to do with bass, and will spend up to $1000.

Keep in mind I am in Canada, also.
DB Player
I don't want to say terrible, but that is for sure not the best way to go, even if you do go Ampeg. If you go Ampeg, get a used American one of some kind, whether it be a B2R or an SVT of some sort.

Of course I'll mention Carvin, they sell factory direct, which is a large part of their relatively low prices. Combine this with an Avatar Cab, and you could have a 1200 watt head moving 400 watts into a 4x10 or 2x12, and space for a subwoofer.

There are tons of other companies to look at, browse the brands list on Musiciansfriend and go to a store where you can try said brands. Hell, if you don't need much wattage, you could get an Eden or EBS combo of some sort.
Well i would look into geting a b2r or b2re second if you can. The 9 band eq will be better you get slightly more wattage and better tone options. And there's also the svt 450 h which for a ltlle more gives you a soft tube sound and its plenty of tone options. But either way get what you like.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
What doesn't kill us, only makes us stronger

Bass: Ibanez Gsr200
Bass amp: Ibanez sw100 stack

Guitar: squier starter pack

never buy a squier!