Page 1 of 2
i want to get a half stack but dnt know wat to buy, i heard from alot of ppl to stay away from the marshall mg and avt series. r the bugera 33xl or 6262 heads good? and if soo wats a good cabinet to go with it price range round 1000 aus. (1000 for the head and 1000 for the cab)
Why do you need a half stack?
What genres are you going to play?
What gear do you currently have?
Seriously, read the stickies.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
ur gonna need a half-stack sized flameshield for this one buddy
Gear

Guitar:
Squier Strat

Amp:
Fender Roc Pro 1000 Half Stack

Pedals:
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Digitech Cool Cat Chorus
Quote by theoreticmusic
Why do you need a half stack?
What genres are you going to play?
What gear do you currently have?
Seriously, read the stickies.

i just like half stacks better then combos. im going to play mostly metal, put some rock and watever category u put steve vai into
well i currently have a srat but im going to get a ibanez rg2550e soon
i just think a combo is pointless cause wen my band starts gigging then imm ganna have to buy a stack so theres no point for a combo
Don't waste your money on a half-stack because you think "you like them better" but you aren't really sure. A 100W combo is just as loud for your needs as a 100W half stack, and it will generally be less expensive. And certainly more practical and portable. So, with your new and improved $2000 AUD budget, buy something like a Peavey 6505 Combo.

Don't judge me.
Quote by nathan549
i just think a combo is pointless cause wen my band starts gigging then imm ganna have to buy a stack so theres no point for a combo

wrong, wrong, wrong as hell.
Don't believe everything you see on TV.
You're just going to mic that stack, right?
So mic the damn combo.

Presto.

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic
Don't waste your money on a half-stack because you think "you like them better" but you aren't really sure. A 100W combo is just as loud for your needs as a 100W half stack, and it will generally be less expensive. And certainly more practical and portable. So, with your new and improved $2000 AUD budget, buy something like a Peavey 6505 Combo.

NO, Stacks are for people who play stadiums unmicced.

A 50 Watt tube combo is probobly overkill for your volume needs. Plus with 2000 Dollars you could get a amazing combo, or get a sub-standard half stack.

Edit: Damn I just quoted the wrong person......
American Strat:
Area 61 Neck, Area 67 Middle & Bridge
Spretzel Locking Tuners
Graphtech Nut & String Tree
Lots O' Love!

JSX + Orange Cab
Fender Blues Deluxe
Deluxe Memory Man
Fulltone Full Drive 2 & OCD
H2O Chorus/Echo
Last edited by Ninja Penguin77 at Sep 12, 2008,
you don't need a stack.
once you start gigging your going to half to carry all of that around and it won't be that much louder. Just 'cooler'

be smart with your money.

does a site like this help for at least looking at some quality used amps?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Music-instruments/Instruments/Guitar-bass/Guitar-amps/auction-176008974.htm
Quote by Ninja Penguin77
NO, Stacks are for people who play stadiums unmicced.

I've never seen an un-miced amp period in a venue i've been to. Its a matter of soundman control, not whether or not it's loud enough. And, uh. With a band, you'd need to mic a stack in a stadium.

Don't judge me.
Combos are more then loud enough, kiddo.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
In my opinion just having 4 speakers going thickens up the sound immensely, it's just much more full.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
Quote by gwitersnamps
In my opinion just having 4 speakers going thickens up the sound immensely, it's just much more full.

So get a 2 x 12 combo and a 2 x 12 extention cab. Still Cheaper.
American Strat:
Spretzel Locking Tuners
Lots O' Love!

JSX + Orange Cab
Fender Blues Deluxe
Deluxe Memory Man
H2O Chorus/Echo
The Bandit is Hybrid. Which means that it's basically SS volumes.
But, uber nub, its good for what.

Don't judge me.
Quote by Ninja Penguin77
So get a 2 x 12 combo and a 2 x 12 extention cab. Still Cheaper.

what are some good extension cabs?
Quote by theoreticmusic
I've never seen an un-miced amp period in a venue i've been to. Its a matter of soundman control, not whether or not it's loud enough. And, uh. With a band, you'd need to mic a stack in a stadium.

If you sell out a stadium, then you can buy a halfstack. It's all on your needs. If your gonna be running loud gigs, then get one. You might also wanna get a 112/212 combo. If the watts are the same, and the OHMS etc. are the same, then it's just a matter of the sound you want pushed through. 412 will give you more air to push through the speakers, therefore a more pronounced low end and mid which will cut through the sound of the band. But! you're not gonna need 100 W. One of the guitarists in my band bought a 150 Watt 212 combo tube. And he can't play past one in practice because it's so overkill. He's gonna have to buy a hotplate now, which is another 300 dollars.

So you, sir, just need to get a combo, because you're not gonna sell out stadiums, so shut up please.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Quote by nathan549
what are some good extension cabs?

Avaitar (spelling?) and Vader are two great brands that are highly regarded in these forums.
American Strat:
Spretzel Locking Tuners
Lots O' Love!

JSX + Orange Cab
Fender Blues Deluxe
Deluxe Memory Man
H2O Chorus/Echo
Quote by K!!LsWiTcH
but i mean like is 60w good for most things? except maybe giging?

uh...i'm just curious. there aren't many other things besides "giging". Practice with a band, sure.

Don't judge me.
If the man wants a halfstack then he should damn well be able to get a halfstack, provided it's for the right reason.

Preferring the sound of a 4x12 cab to a combo amp = right reason.
OMG HALFSTACK AM AWEZOME = wrong reason.
Quote by Weeping_Demon7
If you sell out a stadium, then you can buy a halfstack. It's all on your needs. If your gonna be running loud gigs, then get one. You might also wanna get a 112/212 combo. If the watts are the same, and the OHMS etc. are the same, then it's just a matter of the sound you want pushed through. 412 will give you more air to push through the speakers, therefore a more pronounced low end and mid which will cut through the sound of the band. But! you're not gonna need 100 W. One of the guitarists in my band bought a 150 Watt 212 combo tube. And he can't play past one in practice because it's so overkill. He's gonna have to buy a hotplate now, which is another 300 dollars.

So you, sir, just need to get a combo, because you're not gonna sell out stadiums, so shut up please.

ok not everyone buys half stacks to play in "stadiums" thats a load of bullshit its a matter of personal prefrence wat you like better. and IMO stacks have a better and fuller sound like the other dude said before, so shut up thank you
Quote by nathan549
ok not everyone buys half stacks to play in "stadiums" thats a load of bullshit its a matter of personal prefrence wat you like better. and IMO stacks have a better and fuller sound like the other dude said before, so shut up thank you

Did you notice the other thing the guy said?

"=ZoMg awesome"?

We get alot of those people around here, so I believe most of us just make that assumption.

If you want to make that choice based on sound preference, fine.

SAY THAT AT THE BEGINNING.

It makes life easier.

My 6505+ advice still stands in half stack form.
Its a killer amp.

EDIT: There's a sizeable handful of people here who know what they're talking about. We're all giving solid advice, based on our knowledge (at the time of posting) of your needs (both presumed and stated). Just because someone says what you want to hear doesn't automatically make them right and disqualify everyone else.

Don't judge me.
Last edited by theoreticmusic at Sep 13, 2008,
Quote by whiteraven119
If the man wants a halfstack then he should damn well be able to get a halfstack, provided it's for the right reason.

Preferring the sound of a 4x12 cab to a combo amp = right reason.
OMG HALFSTACK AM AWEZOME = wrong reason.

lol haha atleast you know what your talking bout
Quote by theoreticmusic
Did you notice the other thing the guy said?

"=ZoMg awesome"?

We get alot of those people around here, so I believe most of us just make that assumption.

If you want to make that choice based on sound preference, fine.

SAY THAT AT THE BEGINNING.

It makes life easier.

My 6505+ advice still stands in half stack form.
Its a killer amp.

well i wouldnt of thought that people would just buy it because it looks cool or whatever thats a stupid reason,thats y i didnt say it at the beginning cause its pretty obvious i was going for sound prefrence
Quote by nathan549
well i wouldnt of thought that people would just buy it because it looks cool or whatever thats a stupid reason,thats y i didnt say it at the beginning cause its pretty obvious i was going for sound prefrence

no. it's not obvious AT ALL. seriously. hang around this forum for a while and read some of the absolutely idiotic posts that come through, and youll understand.

Anyway.

Peavey 6505+
maybe....a Mesa Dual or Triple Rec?
maybe a Laney GH100L or VH100R? I've never played the Laneys, so I can't offer too much help other than a name there.

Don't judge me.
in my opinion a 4x12 half stack is not going to be that much louder. Fuller sounding and probably better? - yes, but only to a degree.

i recognize the inflation you guys have in Aussie on amps do to the market so it never hurts to get the most bang for your buck. I think that is what some of us have been saying.

good luck either way.
Quote by theoreticmusic
no. it's not obvious AT ALL. seriously. hang around this forum for a while and read some of the absolutely idiotic posts that come through, and youll understand.

Anyway.

Peavey 6505+
maybe....a Mesa Dual or Triple Rec?
maybe a Laney GH100L or VH100R? I've never played the Laneys, so I can't offer too much help other than a name there.

ahk well sorry for the confusion lol my comps being all slow so im replying heaps ****ign late.
It's not that 4 speakers sound more full, it's that there's more room in a 4x12" cabinet for the sound to develop.
That said, a detuned 2x12" cab can sound just as good, if not better. A 2x12" combo can still sound very full, too.
Hell, my 2x10" open back combo has plenty of low end, and very full.

That said, the reason why people are recommending you get a combo is because, especially in Australia, buying a combo will make your dollar go further. You can get a better quality amp.

In the US, for example, 500-600 dollars would get an awful halfstack. However, it can get you a pretty good combo amp.

In Australia, gear prices are marked up quite a bit...So for 1000 AUD, you still might not be getting quality stuff.
Quote by forsaknazrael
It's not that 4 speakers sound more full, it's that there's more room in a 4x12" cabinet for the sound to develop.
That said, a detuned 2x12" cab can sound just as good, if not better. A 2x12" combo can still sound very full, too.
Hell, my 2x10" open back combo has plenty of low end, and very full.

That said, the reason why people are recommending you get a combo is because, especially in Australia, buying a combo will make your dollar go further. You can get a better quality amp.

In the US, for example, 500-600 dollars would get an awful halfstack. However, it can get you a pretty good combo amp.

In Australia, gear prices are marked up quite a bit...So for 1000 AUD, you still might not be getting quality stuff.

well thats true everything here is so ****ing overpriced. well anyone know some nice combos that i should try out aswell (as the peavey 6505 stack) for like $1500aus?
^it's a mixed answer on the bugera's imo. i would search bar that sucker in the mean while i found an amp in AUS that i liked but what city are you in?

edit for inturdnet
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Sep 13, 2008,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^it's a mixed answer on the bugera's imo. i would search bar that sucker in the mine while i found an amp in AUS that i liked but it what city are you in?

im in sydney.
Quote by nathan549
im in sydney.

Go into allans in sydney. Pretty certain they stock bugera's there.
I dunno. Im from melb, but there selling them on there internet site.
Not necessarily Sydney but I bet you folks can ship things around pretty well right?

I see a bunch of stuff on this site. Is this a decent site? I honestly don't know. Marshall JTM, Peavey Rage, that Soldano I linked earlier. I'm just sayin' - at least check it.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/CategoryListings.aspx?mcat=0343-0892-1118-1319-

Laney for 450AUS
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Music-instruments/Instruments/Guitar-bass/Guitar-amps/auction-175159121.htm

Just asking. Bugera might be the way to go I've never played one. Good luck man.
Quote by andy_h04
Go into allans in sydney. Pretty certain they stock bugera's there.
I dunno. Im from melb, but there selling them on there internet site.

yeh thats where i would be going cause i saw some bugeras on there site, and i dnt think billy hyde sell them
Quote by nathan549
yeh thats where i would be going cause i saw some bugeras on there site, and i dnt think billy hyde sell them

Nah billy hyde dont.
Also, allans will drop the price maybe $50-$100 off the price listed on there site.
Page 1 of 2