Hello UGers, Im currently saving up to buy a bass body of of Warmoth but i thought it would be pretty cool to have no control knobs, just have everything set as i would like and leave it be, and i just wanted to know if this is a good idea or not.?
You could just hide the pots in the control cavity; be sure to tape them up so the metal doesn't touch anything metal.. If that happens it won't make sound :O
Quote by OzarkMDaredevil
I masturbationed on my bus driver.
Quote by bob farrell
This man speaks the truth. Pleez to be videoing your horrific death kthxbai.
Volume pedal. Problem solved.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
it wouldn't be hard, all you would have to do is connect the pups to a switch, and the output straight to the output jack, no pots or anything...

but if you knew what values you wanted, you could measure the resitance of the pot at the specific point, and get resistors to match that values to make those settings permanent...

but I would definately recommend a volume pot. A volume pedal does not do the same thing as a volume pot. Although you could make a pedal that did the same thing as a volume pot. But the volume pot on your guitar is just as good for adjust how much you drive your amp to adjust gain as to adjust volume.
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
What about having a volume knob or button on the back or side of the bass instead? Also the cable jack of the bass recessed upside down on the back of the body like a Jet Guitar. This way the front of the bass will be completely clean if you want to have a killer wood grain translucent finish or special paint job (minus the bridge and pickup).
^ Yeah I was going to suggest a functioning pot that is hidden away in the sides or the back or something.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
If its on the back you gotta becareful your tum tum doesnt roll the volume down...

Guitars
- Schecter Tempest
- Epi LP Custom
- Ovation Acoustic
- BC Rich Dagger
Quote by suprfly

Amps & Effects
- B-52 AT-100
- Girlfriend (doubles as a Tube Screamer)
- Steve Vai Bad horsie 2

Quote by MightyAl
This strength is built and maintained by masturbation.
a good idea would be to get a couple of volume pedals, and mod one with a capacitor so you have tone and volume when playing live. nick oliveri the bass player from qotsa had a volume pedal instead of a pot on his guitar.
put the knobs hidden on the side like the jack on a telecaster

Guitar : Fender CIJ Mustang and a Telecaster
Amp : 76 fender champ
Pedals : BBE green screamer, Big muff, Ibanez LU20 Pedal Tuner, boss loop pedal
How about the knobs are like the knobs from \70s streos. They are like the edge of a coin thick and sticking out only half way so you roll them. This way it could be on the under part of the body and hardly seen. If I can find a picture of what I'm talking about later, I'll post it...
have a slide potentiometer that would be kool
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
If you don't want to have a knob, that's cool. you would basically be playing with your nonexistant volume pot at 10, all the time.
If you want to deal with that, that's your choice, but I imagine myself not liking the lessened control over my overall sound (tone and volume), especially in live sound situations. But what do I know, I'm not a bassist.

Also, if you wanted the controls later, you could always rout them out later and pop them in, if you for some reason didn't like not having control pots.

Do whatever, man. Let us know how it turns out.
Quote by Mr.Bungle
a good idea would be to get a couple of volume pedals, and mod one with a capacitor so you have tone and volume when playing live. nick oliveri the bass player from qotsa had a volume pedal instead of a pot on his guitar.

There's a new fender pedal that is both in one, up and down for volume, left to right for tone.

edit* I like how everyone comments on the lack of a volume knob but seems to happily accept that he'd never ever be touching a tone knob. That's a big no-no in my book at least.
A no-no? It's his sound man, not yours. If he likes his volume and tone at 10 on whatever pickups he like through whatever what he thinks his body will sound like, he should go ahead. Pedals for working with tone and volume can be worked out later if he decides he didn't like what he had in mind.
Last edited by Bebopspike13 at Sep 16, 2008,
Everyone beat me to the Nikki Sixx bass. It has a killswitch but no pots.

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
I'd say go fot it if you don't require them in a useable place. I never really use my knobs at all- and if the wood looks nice, why cover it with knobs?
Quote by supergerbil
I'd say go fot it if you don't require them in a useable place. I never really use my knobs at all- and if the wood looks nice, why cover it with knobs?

On that point, maybe make a mtaching wooden knob for volume?

Or you can recess a knob or slider into the back. That way you can use it if you wanted to, but it'd also be pretty hard to move it by mistake.
Whilst I realise it'd be a bastard and you'd have to get a custom pot you could probably put a Volume control onto the very end as an extension off the strap button.
Skeet UK is awesome, he can get WD Music parts discounted.
Quote by Baconfish
Whilst I realise it'd be a bastard and you'd have to get a custom pot you could probably put a Volume control onto the very end as an extension off the strap button.

Genius!
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.