I'm thinking of joining a boxing gym and was wondering if any UGers box.

I have some questions,
What kind of training should I expect?
How long do you think it would take someone with no fighting background (unless hockey counts) to be able to fight amateur?

I know these questions are kind of vague but I just need to know the basics.
i never took boxing but i know you will be doing allot of conditioning
d[(x)(x)]b

Quote by TomD03

we'd sit in the basement and i'd do a little "I'll show u mine if you show me yours" so i had 3 baby vaginas staring at me

R.I.P. Billy Mays
I do some at the mixed martial arts school I "train"at (I really only go for a couple of styles and I am still a beginner). You should give it a shot if you're really interested, but don't expect things to happen for you right away. You have to learn proper footwork, how to effectively use your weight, how to go from defending back to attacking and so on, so there is a lot to learn.

That said, if you decide to give it a shot I think you'll enjoy it. You get a great work out, let out some aggression and learn some really cool things. Be patient and have fun man.
Miss Scourge? PM me.

I am the mistress of ManWithoutAHat . This pleases me.
I train muay thai, but our gym also has boxing. Get ready to do a lot of conditioning. Get ready to do a lot of rounds of just shadow boxing and working on the bags. It gets boring but just stick with it because thats the only way you get better. Becoming a amateur fighter takes time. It is really up to you, and how hard you want to work at it.
frog_friend and WGP: UG's Kramer brotherhood

Ug's 4th ENGL endorser
Randy Rhoads is god
founder of the "ENGL amps" fanclub. PM me to join
I've been doing boxing for three years now, but have only been training for amateur fighting over the past 8 months or so, as opposed to solely boxing for fitness. The training is very intensive, due to the very high physical nature of the sport as far as strength and speed is concerned. You'll mostly do lots of running, punching and the usual push-ups, crunches etc.

Some people get into amateur fights very quickly, but at least expect to be training for a couple of months first. As for casual sparring as part of your training, you should be able to start that perhaps only after a few training sessions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VgvOGc0qWY <- This'd be a video of me (the one with golden gloves, and long hair being the metalhead that I ma :P), from back in april, about 4 months after I started doing training for amateur fighting.

As a sport, I love it, it's very challenging and physically demanding, I enjoy it a lot. And definitely recommend it.
Ha nice video. I need to cut my hair because it keeps getting in my eyes when I spar. I could wear a headband, but I look dumb lol.
frog_friend and WGP: UG's Kramer brotherhood

Ug's 4th ENGL endorser
Randy Rhoads is god
founder of the "ENGL amps" fanclub. PM me to join