I'm looking for high gain pedal and a low-mid gain pedal that can get a good crunch.

I'm designing a distortion/EQ pedal that has two switchable distortions and i need a few pedals to base the distortion circuits on. These are the ones I have schematics for so please choose from this list.

BOSS DS-1
Bigg Muff
Ibanez Sonic Distortion
Distortion+
Rat
Fuzz Face
Marshall Guv'Nor

Update:

Ive narrowed it down to the Rat and the Sonic Distortion or the Guv'Nor.

Its now a choice between the Guv'Nor and the Sonic Distortion.
Last edited by Final !mpact at Sep 13, 2008,
I'd go for a ProCo Ratt
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Metal Muff?
Quote by JeanMi36
Back when I was a teen, I was making out with this girl, when I had the bright idea of putting my hand inside her panties.

She had her period.

I'm scarred for life
I know you asked for one off the list, BUT I was in the local music shop today trying out the Steve Vai Jemini - and it's truly orgasmic. So I'd check it out anyways.
Quote by metal4all
Just, no. Locrian should be treated like that gay cousin. Just avoid him cuz he's weird, unstable, and is attracted to the wrong thing.

Quote by steven seagull
Big deal, I bought a hamster once and they put that in a box...doesn't make it a scale.
I need TWO distortion pedals so if you could, please suggest TWO pedals. A high gain and a lower gain one.

If your going to make a suggestion please specify whether its high or low gain thanks.

EDIT: I was thinking of the rat. Everyone seems to like it. Il have to find sound clips.
Quote by yM.Samurai
I know you asked for one off the list, BUT I was in the local music shop today trying out the Steve Vai Jemini - and it's truly orgasmic. So I'd check it out anyways.

Quote by Sumlover41
Metal Muff?

Thanks i will have a look at these, however If the pedal is really complicated/ big i wont use it. With the 8 bands of EQ its already going to be pretty big.
Quote by Goldenglove
Big Muff and Rat, I would say.

I have no experience with either. Which one is high gain and which is low gain?
Big Muff and Rat. I'm not sure if i'm right, but i believe the Big Muff would be high gain.
Quote by sSyLc
Looking for a bj from an unsuspecting animal eh?
Member of The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society
Quote by denizenz
I came, I saw, I cleaned it up.
Quote by Nevermind1299
The DS-1 is pretty great, I have one.
I guess it'd be high gain

Quote by Grönis
Big Muff and Rat. I'm not sure if i'm right, but i believe the Big Muff would be high gain.

Neither would be high gain imo. The Big Muff is a fuzz pedal and clips differently than a distortion pedal.

The Muff is in-between an OD and a fuzz, it gives a huge amount of sustain and sounds cool when used before an overdriven amp. The Rat can get pretty high-gain, I think.
Quote by Goldenglove
The Muff is in-between an OD and a fuzz, it gives a huge amount of sustain and sounds cool when used before an overdriven amp. The Rat can get pretty high-gain, I think.

I think there's a different kind of Ratt that's high gain actually... The Pro Co Turbo Ratt

I wouldn't call the original rat low-gain. Depends on what schematics the TS has, the Rat is said to have changed very much over the years.
Quote by Goldenglove
I wouldn't call the original rat low-gain. Depends on what schematics the TS has, the Rat is said to have changed very much over the years.

I know.. but i still wouldn't consider it high gain, or at least not enough for what now is considered high gain aka metal. The Turbo Rat has more output than the regular one though. Maybe TS can use that one's schematics for his high gain pedal.

Quote by evening_crow

Neither would be high gain imo. The Big Muff is a fuzz pedal and clips differently than a distortion pedal.

I didnt have the heart to *facepalm* him

I'm not really interested in fuzz, however it has a fair bit of distortion and its very thick sounding. Besides its going through 8 Bands of EQ so i should be able to cut out a bit of fuzz.
Quote by evening_crow
I know.. but i still wouldn't consider it high gain, or at least not enough for what now is considered high gain aka metal. The Turbo Rat has more output than the regular one though. Maybe TS can use that one's schematics for his high gain pedal.

It depends on how you define hi-gain, I guess. For me, Nazareth and The White Stripes are high gain enough to be called hi-gain...
But I would suggest finding some older schematics, since Robert Keeley states on his website that the new Rats sound terrible and stuff.

EDIT: TS, I suggest you listen to a Big Muff demo on the EHX website, it sounds very warm and not fuzzy, a lot depends on the amp settings.
Quote by Final !mpact
I didnt have the heart to *facepalm* him

I'm not really interested in fuzz, however it has a fair bit of distortion and its very thick sounding. Besides its going through 8 Bands of EQ so i should be able to cut out a bit of fuzz.

Well, the Turbo Rat has a slightly fuzzy sound too imo. Actually, i personally enjoy both of their sounds but both should work out good for what you're looking for. Plus on the good side, you'll have a more "signature" tone.

The original RAT and especially the TurboRAT both get fairly high gains, but the RAT2 not quite as much. Really though, none of those are high gain pedals, which is probably a good thing since most of the cheaper high gain distortions (under $100) suck.

If it's the original RAT and not the RAT2, then I'd go with that for your high gain sound although it won't be ultra high gain.

Ibanez Sonic Distortion would be my favorite for low gain. I've heard great things about the original Sovtek Big Muff (would love to try it out one day), but the EHX clone isn't too shabby either.

EDIT - Just noticed the MXR Distortion+ in there, which I have no idea what that sounds like, so I'm not sure if it's high gain or low gain or what.
Last edited by FlyingBeerman at Sep 13, 2008,
Ive narrowed it down to the Rat, the Sonic Distortion and the Guv'Nor.

Its now a choice between the Guv'Nor and the Sonic Distortion.
Sonic Distortion + Rat it is

EDIT: I dont like the Big muff to much. Its got heaps of gain and its thick as hell but its to damn fuzzy...

Hmm... If i EQ the shit out of it can i remove some of the fuzz?
Last edited by Final !mpact at Sep 13, 2008,
Quote by Final !mpact
Sonic Distortion + Rat it is

EDIT: I dont like the Big muff to much. Its got heaps of gain and its thick as hell but its to damn fuzzy...

Hmm... If i EQ the shit out of it can i remove some of the fuzz?

Sure you could. It also depends a lot on your amp settings and pickups, as well as the pedal's too.