Lets say someones playing D7 A7 E7 in the background (Correct my chordproggression if its wrong), the strumming is slow and each chord is repeated few times...

I can't find on the theory lessons which scale sounds good to improv on with these chords in the background...

I've been reading alot on different books and lessons(UG) and Im very confused with the modes and scales(and much more).
When D7 is playing does this means I have to play dorian mode?
When the chord changes, do I keep playing or do I change scale aswell?

thanks in advance
I could answer your question but you nickname is Chavez and i don't like it.
Quote by sucay

Hehe its my surname and I'm not in any way related to the president.
Well if you want a major progression in the key of D you should use Imaj7 IVmaj7 V7 = Dmaj7 GMaj7 A7.

But if you want to use that kind of a progression you are gonna have change scales/modes over chords.

Let's say your tonal centre now is a D and your using those chords D7 A7 and E7 You could use a D mixolydian over D7 (D F# A C) because it's got a flat 7 and of course as we all know a 7 chord comes from 1 3 5 7b. D mixolydian is D E F# G A B C D. Do not confuse this mode with G major scale, it has the same notes but not the same tonality.

Over the A7 (A C# E G) You could use just a normal D Ionian wich has notes D E F# G A B C# D.

Over the E7 (E G# B D) would go under a D lydian mode (D E F# G# A B C D)
鋼の錬金術師
Sounds like A is the tonal center to me, and A major works for all of it. If you want to get picky, the b7 in A7 (G) and the b7 in D7 (C) are slightly out of place, but it still sounds good.

Could also use B, C#, or F# minor pentatonic. Again may be one or two out of place notes when over the A7 and D7, but those can sound cool.

If you want to mode change and be super strict while you're at it, you'd pretty much go D mixolydian, A mixolydian, E mixolydian or their relatives.

@punkismygod, all of the modes you say have the same notes as just shifting mixolydian so they work, but is there any reason for your specific choices? Just personal taste?
Last edited by CloserToTheSun at Sep 13, 2008,
I would hear this as A also, a IV I V progression. With all those 7th chords, it has a blues sound, so A minor pent would work, you could play that over all the chords. However, just like the blues, when you're over the I chord (the A7), experiment with bending some of the C notes up to a C# (or anywhere in between). That's one of the signature sound of the blues, taking the minor third and bending it up a half step to a major third (or anywhere in between, that fuzzy area between the minor third and major third).
Quote by CloserToTheSun
@punkismygod, all of the modes you say have the same notes as just shifting mixolydian so they work, but is there any reason for your specific choices? Just personal taste?

Yeah my personal taste. Even it has got the same notes the tonal centre D (wich I use in this case A will work also and will work better but I use the D in this one) is used only with D modes, I like it that way when using modes. I can't really explain it 100% so I'll put a link where I learned my stuff:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=187159
鋼の錬金術師
That's a very common blues progression (I7-IV7-V7). The standard approach would to use the A minor pentatonic over the whole thing. I would strongly recommend against approaching it modally.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by sucay
*reported*

Back to music:

That progression is a variant of a Blues in A, so all your blues licks will work, though your transition licks (the lick that goes from A7 to D7) may be affected.

You could also use each chords' corresponding Mixolydian scale; this will give a jazzy sound.

If you're going to pick a single scale or key, it's A, not E or D.
Quote by Declan87
use the D blues scale or minor pentatonic.

*facepalm* didn't read the chords properly. A blues or minor pentatonic should work best.