Im sorry if there is an 'ultimate frett buzz' thread, but I cannot find it (im sure there was one).

Just a couple of questions, what causes it, and how do I prevent it.

Ive had 2 guitars that have suffered with it, and now ive just bought my 3rd im becoming cautious.

Cheers
Customized Fender Stratocastor Standard
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Lag GLA200BCE
Well, there're 4 causes of fret buzz (to my knowledge, anyway):
1. Sometimes, new strings buzz for a while. Not really sure why. Not much you can do about this apart from play hard, with lots of bends and so on; they should settle after a bit.
2. If your action's too low, you'll get fret buzz. So raise it.
3. If your neck is bowed back because the truss rod is too tense. I don't know much about this one, so you'll have to ask someone else.
4. Worn down frets. Again, I've never had this problem, but I think this is pretty much a job for a guitar technician.
There's other causes that mimick fret buzz but have nothing to do with the string to fret buzz at all. Loose parts. Loose tuner knobs, beauty rings, an acoustic's internal bracing that's come loose, an A/E guitar's electronic parts rattling and loose like the battery holder, an electric guitars parts that could have worked loose such as the plug jack. Basically, if it's bolted, screwed or glued together, it could come loose and give you a false string buzz noise. Other causes include incorrect string gauge for the current setup of the guitar. This is a common one as everyone seems to want to put these huge strings on their electrics to get that low down deep metal sound, but neglect to properly set up the guitar to accept those strings. Things like nut slots, saddle position, tremolo tension, and so on are all effected. The above posters list are the most common for actual fret buzz, but be aware that it could be something completely different.
on a standard strat a tiny allen wrench to lower these two pegs, and lift a string if it's rubbing on a fret while you play.

if it's a loose part, ^like said, then strum the guitar acoustically, and touch various parts until you find out which one seems to be rattling.

in the future, if you want a setup question answered, you can click the Q & A in my sig.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
thanks alot,
Im gonna give my electrics to a pro to fix (i dont trust myself all that much)
but I now know how to keep my acoustic soundsing good
But cheers for the reply
Customized Fender Stratocastor Standard
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Lag GLA200BCE
really tho, if it's a low string on the strat, there's no way to screw up raising the strings.

just move the pegs down a little.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011