Part 1: I want to try out Ubuntu. Can i buy an External hardrive and if i have a ubuntu DVD can i boot from the DVD and install ubuntu on an external hard drive. I know if i could i would have to boot from it when i startup but it wouldnt worry me.

Part 2: Does anyone know of some video editing software for Vista?
I want to make some stop motion films and i would like to be able to put a soundtrack and some decent titles on it and of course it must be photo able.

Thanks.
GEAR
Legend LP
Nylon Acoustic
Legend 10D Amp
Korg AX3G

flickr
1: Haven't tried it, but apparently Ubuntu is a LiveCD -> i.e. you can run it off the CD before you actually install it.
Otherwise, yes, generally you can install the OS to an external harddrive on any computer made in the past 4 years or so (you can even install it on a USB memory stick if you want)

2: Adobe Premier is pretty good
Well, ubuntu fits on a CD, not a DVD, you can just use it as a live cd if you want to try it out with no changes made, you have more or less full functionality of ubuntu. The latest edition is 8.04. You could do it on an external drive, but to save money you could just use the easy inbuilt partitioning software that comes with ubuntu and allocate it at least 5-10GB of your harddrive.

And for video editing software, you can use windows movie maker, which is free from the microsoft site, (but a bit shit) or Sony Vegas. Dunno the price on sony vegas, I have it installed on my old computer though and it's good.
If i buy say a 2GB Flash Drive will it be enough to try ubuntu out with minimal changes?
Do you need any special software to boot from a USB port though?

And yeh i have movie maker it is a bit crap.
GEAR
Legend LP
Nylon Acoustic
Legend 10D Amp
Korg AX3G

flickr
Quote by jake_1234
If i buy say a 2GB Flash Drive will it be enough to try ubuntu out with minimal changes?
Do you need any special software to boot from a USB port though?

And yeh i have movie maker it is a bit crap.

probably, but you might need to go pretty light on the applications

no special software needed, just make sure its enabled in the BIOS
might need to do some things to get it to work, just google "installing ubuntu to flash memory"

and like mentioned, you can try it out running it directly from the CD
Don't buy anything until you've tried the liveCD, that way if you don't like it then you haven't lost anything, apart from a blank CD