We can't all be rockstars. If i do a degree in music but somehow fail to become the world's most famous guitarist/short person, do i still have a future with my guitar. What different careers are actually available and are they hard to get into?
session artist
Fender 5 String Jazz Bass
Fender Precision Bass
Peavey TNT 115
EHX Bass Big Muff Pi
Daneletro Cool Cat OD V2 (excellent pedal)
Paul Reed Smith SE Custom Semi-Hollow
Peavey Classic 30
Vox V845 Classic Wah Pedal
im looking into doing some studio work i think thatd be cool if i could not find personal success with my geetar
Quote by altoidwithmelon
You dont lose your virginity, you voluntarily misplace it.

Quote by Ur all $h1t
You should bottle up all of your emotions till they become a problem that requires professional help.
It's good for the economy.

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/rabidpitweasels/
Songwriting aswell, maybe not the lyrics, but actual music behind it aswell. A record producer would be good aswell, because you'll know how to get all the guitars sounding aswell.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Almost every career involving guitar, or music in general isn't 'hard' to get into, you just have to know the right people and if you happen not to know the right people you could always develop a grand reputation via unpaid work. As you can gather from what I've described the degree does nothing for your credibility but it will make you a better musician.

But alas, I'm in the same boat, studying Music production and engineering whilst whoring myself to bands for free to develop a clientele which, might I add, grows by the week now.

Then it's a matter of graduating, buying a d*ckload of gear, soundproofing half my house and only then can I charge gratuitous amounts for my services.

Still, it'll be worth it one day, good luck with the pro-guitar-ing TS
This water's dark and coldGod's not where you hopedThis moment come and goneIt's time we all moved on
Quote by Shredder XXX
Almost every career involving guitar, or music in general isn't 'hard' to get into, you just have to know the right people and if you happen not to know the right people you could always develop a grand reputation via unpaid work. As you can gather from what I've described the degree does nothing for your credibility but it will make you a better musician.

But alas, I'm in the same boat, studying Music production and engineering whilst whoring myself to bands for free to develop a clientele which, might I add, grows by the week now.

Then it's a matter of graduating, buying a d*ckload of gear, soundproofing half my house and only then can I charge gratuitous amounts for my services.

Still, it'll be worth it one day, good luck with the pro-guitar-ing TS

Forgiveme for hijacking the thread but Id like to know about your Bugera 333xl.

i want to buy one for myself, but I am afraid as to reliability. How is it holding up for you? What can you say bout it?
since i figure ill never be a rockstar ive always just wanted to open a
little guitar store & repair shop and work on guitars and stuff all day
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
Quote by yourface?
We can't all be rockstars. If i do a degree in music but somehow fail to become the world's most famous guitarist/short person, do i still have a future with my guitar. What different careers are actually available and are they hard to get into?

If there is any lesson to be learned by screamo/emo/hXc/punk music it's that:

Yes we can. Every single one of us can be utterly famous by the garbage that idiots in high school will buy.

Don't sell yourself short(lawlpun) if you want to be famous make it happen!!
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
Quote by `digitaL.braVo
If there is any lesson to be learned by screamo/emo/hXc/punk music it's that:

Yes we can. Every single one of us can be utterly famous by the garbage that idiots in high school will buy.

Don't sell yourself short(lawlpun) if you want to be famous make it happen!!

^ makes a good point, if you can bitch about your life, and scream, you can be really famous these days
Edit: theres always the markrt the jonas brothers and hannah montana have hit, and theyre big as hell with minimal talent
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
Exactly. If they can be famous, I can chase my dog around while she barks and make money.
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
thanks for all the replies and advice, i didn't expect so many so soon.

The reason i made this thread is that i've only gotten really serious about my music in the last month, though i'd been doing a good amount of practice for almost 2 years before. I'm going into my final year of school now and i have to seriously think about college. Until recently I'd wanted to go for medicine, though I'm unsure whether that would be very fulfilling or just depressing. Should i really take the risk and go for a career in music?

I don't want a boring life, but I should be realistic about what I can achieve.
(probably should have said all this in the original post)
Anyway, have any ideas on what I should do?
Quote by Darksucker
If you cannot do, teach.

If you cannot teach, teach PE.

[/school of rock]

I'm gonna study Electronic Engineering and learn to build musical technology, like amps and PA systems and stuff.
But for the moment, I'm not giving up my immature dream of playing in a rock band.

If you think about it, with today's huge variety of musical styles, you can find an audience for any kind of music. Plus, with the whole indie movement, and with the internet, it's easier than ever to get your music out there. Think about it this way: if (insert indie band here) made it, so can you.

I think, perhaps naively so, that if the music is good, then the only thing that keeps you away from success is publicity. Think about it. You can play small gigs all you want, but it's only the local crowd that hears about you. But with publicity and stuff, you can the whole world to know. The Arctic Monkeys did it.

But then again, publicity costs a shitload of cash

EDIT: also note that in some fields of music, talent and education is not really a prerequisite. Sure, shredders, jazz players and composers may know it, but the most popular musicians of today probably don't have a clue.
Last edited by sashki at Sep 13, 2008,
I have a degree in music, it really is one of the most worthless degrees you can have if you play a modern instrument.

BUT, you get several years of playing a huge amount and you have to be socially inept not to make a huge number of contacts as you go along.

Unless you're in one of only a few cities worldwide, their is basically no session scene anymore, but there's always the odd recording you can get work for.

I'm no longer a full time musician, I was for about 5 years, now I have a different full time job but am still a working musician and enjoy it far more as it's not purely bill-paying.

Whilst I was full time, I earned a living by doing some recordings, a lot of gigs playig other people's original music, loads of depping for function and wedding bands, a few recordings for adverts and gigging original music.

It's not hard, but you do have to be perfectly happy to play other people's music for the most part, also, being good at not attracting attention is the key. If you EVER become the focal point of most bands you'll play with, the singer (who is almost invariably the boss) will be giving you the sack. So all in, be happy to stand at the back and play chords :P
Domine Non Es Dignus
teacher, guitar maker, guitar repairer, guitar salesmen, guitar store owner, etc.
i say go for doctor... thats what i want to do
Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
SCHECTER JEFF LOOMIS C7 FR
Quote by madshatter
teacher, guitar maker, guitar repairer, guitar salesmen, guitar store owner, etc.

You'd probably need a buisiness degree....I can't see how having a degree in music help you get either of those... May be a bonus if you're applying to be a salesman, but certainly just being able to play music will not get you a job as a salesman...

Same thing goes for anything guitar tech-ish, it's irellevant to being able to play a guitar really well when you're fixing / making one... OBviously it wouldn't hurt though..
Quote by sashki
Eschaton, what job do you have now?

I worked for a couple years selling instruments and doing PA installs, now I run a warehouse for a large pet store chain. A bit of a switch but it's the family business. And I finish nice and early every day to go home and do musical things
Domine Non Es Dignus
I want to make the theme tunes for tv lol. power rangers theme is actually pretty sick, and crystal maze lol
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
i will never give up to my guitar
GEAR
Schecter Omen-6 FloydRose (Gloss Black)
Boss: Metal Zone
Boss: Pw- 10 v-wah
Boss: Ac-2
Crate: BX-40 Bass Amp
Classic Guitar
Schecter: Omen-4 Diamond Series Bass (Walnut Satin)
Peavey huge amp (I dont have it yet just saw it 1 time)
You could always be Kirk Hammet's Wah dealer.
Quote by Brunnis Jetrel, Eve-Search Forums
oh the good old days of launching strawberries at point blank range into people's faces with a ballista... brings back mammaries

Quote by SkyValley
Kick your OWN ass before he has a chance to get to it.

Clicky --->
Quote by yourface?

If you work hard, learn hard and play hard (to keep happy lol) you could become a teacher. I am a guitar teacher, and I teach a range of kids aging from 5 to my oldest student which is now 12. The part which will catch you out right now as you read this is the fact that I AM ONLY 14. My guitar teacher was getting too many students, and he rejects new people who want to learn from him, so one day he turned around to me and said, if you practice this and this and get it right I will pay you to teach these kids. So here I am.

Also there is another guitar occupation which I am currently working in. I fix, service, and sell guitars at my local music store, and now my mates come to me and say how much to get this fixed, I say if you give it to me privately I will charge you less.

The main thing you have to remember mate is this one thing, which I say to everyone wanting to work in the guitar industry.

Work Hard, Play Hard, and Try Hard, you can achieve anything you want.
<|ĐÞŞ|>
Dead Puppy Society
=When the going gets tough, the tough get going=