Hi everyone,

I have an Epiphone G-400 and I hate changing strings and more often than not screw up. So, I've thought of getting Sperzel locking tuners to put on to make string changes easier.
I use D'Addario EXL115 strings, gauge 11 to 49 and usually play Drop D.
Are there any gaping flaws in my plan that I have missed?

Thanks in advance
only losers have signatures
Well locking tuners are awesome, but... changing strings is really easy, like mint said i'd save the money and learn how to change strings.
Part-o-Caster
Ibanez Destroyer
Ibanez 321MH
If you want to change tuners to save time then go for it. But if you can take ten minutes to change a set and save yourself $60...

I changed my tuners to improve tuning stability, the time saving was a bonus. If you are rich the w/e but otherwise perhaps take the time to change strings normally.
I would only change tuners if the tuners on there suck and won't keep it in tune.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
Quote by WtrPlyr
Why would locking tuners make changing of the strings easier?

A lot of them now have an string cutting and securing mechanism, so you literally feed the string and hit a button, then start to wind.
I have an epiphone sg-400. If yours has the same tuners as mine (Grovers), you shouldn't need to replace them. They stay in tune great! Playing in drop D doesn't effect what tuners you should get either. I would suggest keeping the tuners and taking an extra 5 minutes to change strings.
They tuners on the G-400 aren't great. They'll stay in tune ok, but they're not very accurate. If you can afford to swap them then I would (I have planet waves trim-loks on mine) but they're adequate if you can't change them. You should def learn to restring the guitar tho... yeah its a bitch but its basic maintenance.
2004 Fender Mexican Fat Strat
2003 Epiphone SG-400
Marshall DSL-401
Electro-Harmonix Small Clone Chorus
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Boss PH-3 Phase Shifter

http://www.myspace.com/realityfracture/
... 'Aren't great'? 'Not accurate'? They're Grover 18:1 Rotomatics. You don't get any more accurate and stable.

In fact that's pretty much the only thing the new Chinese Epis have right; their basic build sucks, the pickups aren't up to much and quality control is sleeping on the job, but the hardware is fantastic. Full Alpha pots, the best (non-locking) Grovers around, and the locktone stopbar is a little work of genius that actually outshines even what Gibson Standards are equipped with.

By all means replace their nuts, pickups, strap buttons, mounting rings, have it refinished, refretted... but you've got to be pretty stupid to start throwing out the good hardware they have.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
... 'Aren't great'? 'Not accurate'? They're Grover 18:1 Rotomatics. You don't get any more accurate and stable.

In fact that's pretty much the only thing the new Chinese Epis have right; their basic build sucks, the pickups aren't up to much and quality control is sleeping on the job, but the hardware is fantastic. Full Alpha pots, the best (non-locking) Grovers around, and the locktone stopbar is a little work of genius that actually outshines even what Gibson Standards are equipped with.

By all means replace their nuts, pickups, strap buttons, mounting rings, have it refinished, refretted... but you've got to be pretty stupid to start throwing out the good hardware they have.

Listen to this man!^
Quote by MrFlibble

yep. Although, My Chinese made Epi is pretty good. no major flaws at all.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I agree with Mr Flibble on this one. Sure, he might be a homocidal penguin hand puppet, but when it comes to guitar maintainence, there's none finer.

All the locking tuners I've seen seem to have a much lower ratio (Sperzels are like 12:1, I think) which makes it pretty damn hard to accurately tune them to concert pitch, you have to settle with 'almost in tune', which is annoying as f*ck.

I have a set of sperzels on my jag, and they piss me the f*ck off. Changing strings isn't even any quicker, because you have to piss around with the locking mechanism, and it's tricky to get the strings through the tuning pegs because the holes don't have much ground clearance. On top of that, they're bloody expensive.

I was having a few problems with tuning stability on my les paul, but as soon as I changed my nut, and installed some of those graph-tech bridge saddles, I found tuning to be as stable as doc martens.
Quote by forsaknazrael
^I don't have any problems tuning my Sperzels..Tune up just fine.

Fair enough, my guitar has a thicker headstock, so there's in theory not a height problem.

The locking part IS a pain though.
You know the little stick with the rounded end inside the mechanism that gets pushed up into the hole? That always seems to get stuck!

I've installed two sets, the other was on a friend's strat, and had exactly the same problem.

Maybe I've just been doubly unlucky!

Or maybe I should undo the locking mechanism and smear the pole with a bit of grease. Although that'd probably just clog it up.
Quote by vizun
Well locking tuners are awesome, but... changing strings is really easy, like mint said i'd save the money and learn how to change strings.

Hot damn this here boy's a genious!
Quote by BrianApocalypse
You know the little stick with the rounded end inside the mechanism that gets pushed up into the hole? That always seems to get stuck!

I've installed two sets, the other was on a friend's strat, and had exactly the same problem.

Maybe I've just been doubly unlucky!

Or maybe I should undo the locking mechanism and smear the pole with a bit of grease. Although that'd probably just clog it up.

Sounds like you've just been unlucky! I've never had a problem like that.
^The set on my strat has no problems either. Quick, easy to use and efficient.
Quote by forsaknazrael
^I don't have any problems tuning my Sperzels..Tune up just fine.

Learn how to string your guitar...? Crazy idea, I know, but I have a feeling it'll work.

Here:
http://www.stringthis.com/howtostringu.html

No, it's not a crazy idea. But thanks for making a random assumption about me.

I came here for help, not to be ridiculed.

But I won't plague you any longer with my "stupidity."

Goodbye.
only losers have signatures
IMO, locking tuners are a luxury and you should really only have em if they come stock or if you order something custom. otherwise, just practice changing strings buddy its better to know how to change strings and be good at it.

plus, if worse comes to worse you can always work at a guitar shop and get paid to change strings for n00bz
"Would you tell Picasso to sell his guitars?" - Jack Black

Quote by Lt. Shinysides

my dick is generally better than yours, and is more pleasing to look at and hold.
your dick understands and accepts this, and is willing to just move on.
Quote by sharky133
No, it's not a crazy idea. But thanks for making a random assumption about me.

I came here for help, not to be ridiculed.

But I won't plague you any longer with my "stupidity."

Goodbye.

Woah! In your first post you say you often screw it up. How is it a crazy assumption?

And seriously, save yourself the $60