how thick are les paul tops? at the thickest part i mean, to carve them and not go into the base wood under it? i suck as searching so yeah.....
Interesting question. I don't really know, but I guess it varies. An LP junior may very well be one piece solid wood all the way front to back, while that fancy tiger stripe maple you see on some guitars may be less than a millimeter thick. But this is generally speaking; I have no specific knowledge about Les Pauls' on this matter.
What you could do is take off a pick up or any other component that leaves a hole through the top. Looking closely at the inside wall of the cavity you should be able to determine the thickness of the top layer. If necessary, you can scrape off any laquer that obscures your view and even polish the surface to make the boundaries visible.
David Dyke in the UK sells LP tops at 16mm which is just over 5/8 th's of an inch.
Quote by Skeet UK
David Dyke in the UK sells LP tops at 16mm which is just over 5/8 th's of an inch.

That seems far more likely due to the fact that Les Pauls have tops that actually contribute to the tone. A veneer (like what the first reply talked about) wouldn't contribute at all. I've kinda always assumed they were at least a quarter of an inch thick, if not close to half an inch.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Shinozoku
That seems far more likely due to the fact that Les Pauls have tops that actually contribute to the tone. A veneer (like what the first reply talked about) wouldn't contribute at all. I've kinda always assumed they were at least a quarter of an inch thick, if not close to half an inch.

Actually, 18mm thick!

David Dyke

Go to "Catalogue" - "Electric Guitars" - "Facings"
it will be anything from 15mm to 25mm....obviously the thicker the wood the more carving you can do