I've got a Gibson SG Special Faded, and I love the thing to death, but it's just not versatile enough for some of my favorite music, particularily Vai's whammy-laden songs. I would love a JEM, and I have the funds for one, but that's alot of money and I'm trying to save for college. So, I'm looking for something that's still excellent, can handle Vai, and 1,000 (USD) probably hits the cieling. Also, a floating tremolo is a must, but that should be obvious. Scalloped frets higher up would be nice, but not neccessary. Jumbo frets, thin profile neck. It all sounds like something IBANEZ to me, but I'm just not sure what.
Ibanez RG 2550?

Also, don't forget about Joe Satriani's JS1000.

Those play really nicely, and are pretty lightweight.
Last edited by TheArcadeFire at Sep 13, 2008,
LOL xD Look at the Ibanez rg prestige series, go play them all, then pick one that you like!

also, make sure you play an ibanez s series before you get the rg, I personally like it a lot more.
Gear?!

Fender Champion 600

Weeping Demon Wah
Metal Muff
Blues Driver

Member 6 of the CARVIN CLUB!!

Ibanez S320 Budget:
0/500usd
Last edited by Oblivian at Sep 13, 2008,
Quote by TheArcadeFire
Ibanez RG 2550?

Also, don't forget about Joe Satriani's JS1000.

Those play really nicely, and are pretty lightweight.

The RG for Vai. Just change the pickups to some good DiMarzios.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Vai basically uses two kinds of JEMs: Alder with Evos (his main), and Basswood with Breeds. If you get a used RG550 and put Breeds in it, you would hardly be able to tell the difference between it and a JEM.
RG prestige guitars are EXCELENT instruments! I highly recomend them. I own one, and have played many and they are all very fine instruments. If you stick some Dimarzios in them, they are easily comparable to a JEM soundwise. as others have said, a 2550 would be great.

I was in the exact situation you were a few months ago (well, excuding hte college bit and the amount of money) and i went for an RG1570. great great guitar.
Also, don't forget that he also play his universe (7 string) too, so get a good 7 string.
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
BluesJr 1996-B + cathode follower + texas Heat
Crate CPB150
Homemade 4 x 10 cab Bass closeback
Metal Muff
^He doesn't play his 7's anymore, and only used them on certain songs.
Dave Weiner plays all of the 7 string rhythm parts in Steve Vai's band, as much as I love 7's, I don't think it'd fit what he's looking for right now.
Ibanez S series are really nice guitars, but if you want 24 frets, the newer S prestiges are probably out of your price range. I say RG Prestige series is your best bet and put some Dimarzio's in it.
The RG2550 is most likely the one. However, if I put in Breed pickups with the basswood body, it would stand up to those songs such as Bad Horsie, where the Breed's shine, but most of my favorite songs are infact recorded on EVO, which uses the Evolutions... So.... nearly perfect match or all around?
1. If you can live without a trem, Ibanez PGM.

2. If you can live with 22 frets, Ibanez JS.

3. If your a modder, get a strat of some sort, put a 24-fret Wizard neck on, a Floyd Rose and a locking nut, and swap the pickguard with an HSH one and load it up.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Quote by necrosis1193
1. If you can live without a trem, Ibanez PGM.

2. If you can live with 22 frets, Ibanez JS.

3. If your a modder, get a strat of some sort, put a 24-fret Wizard neck on, a Floyd Rose and a locking nut, and swap the pickguard with an HSH one and load it up.

Option 3 could be difficult, as the fretboard overhang on a square heel Wizard would mean no neck pickup, and the AANJ neck wouldnt fit properly. I dont know if a square heel one would either.
^ and it would mess up the innotation
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Just follow "which ones pink"'s advice and get a used RG550. I have one myself from '87, and I can vouch for it's capabilities. It comes cheap as chips these days, but you'll probably want to replace the stock pups (since they aren't too awesome). I recently bought a Steve's Special and an Air Norton. It's a matter of an extra $200 or something I reckon.

Scalloped frets on the higher frets seems useless since the spacing between the frets is minimal (or it could just be my fingers). You could scallop yourself, it doesn't have to come pre-scalloped.
Guitars:
Ibanez IC400BK
Ibanez RG550BK

Amplifiers:
ENGL Screamer 50 Combo
Ibanez S Prestige. Pick one.

S2170FW
S2170FB
S5470
S2170SE
S5470F

or RG Prestige series
the S series is definetly something to look into if you can't afford prestige and don't like RG's. also look into some of the older second-hand RG's, some of them are similar to the JEM and play like a dream.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

along with fire escape routes...

Go for the RG, it was created as a more affordable JEM. It's pretty much exactly the same except a different trem and pickups, and no monkey grip. Unfortunately, they only come in basswood and mahogany. Ibanez is going to have some new RG prestiges, maybe some of them will be alder.
The S series play pretty nicely too.. I was in a similar position and went with an S470.

I dont know what models are out there now, I just know how to play the thing. But if theres something similar, it might work for you very well.

I have no regrets at all, none whatsoever..
"I don't mind making sissy rock. I'll rock your ass sensitive style" - John Mayer
does it HAVE to be ibanez? if so then go with an RG Prestige. ive played many and all left me in awe(sp?).

if not then you should try out one of the higher end jacksons. either a high-end ipmport or a lower-end USA model. they have thin necks, 24 frets(most of them do), FRs, and really good pups.
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B