I've currently got a Traynor YCV-20, and I love it, but I'm looking to upgrade.

I want something with more power (30+ watts should do the trick)

The most important thing for me is cleans. I want an amp to have AMAZING cleans (I'm talking Dr.Z or Carr quality here....but without the price). It also needs to have a lot of clean headroom (another reason for the power upgrade).

Gain is important as well. It doesn't need to have a ton of onboard gain, but it needs to be able to handle high gain well enough (not get flabby or shrill). I would also prefer a decent tone from the gain channel. One with definition and a strong attack.

2 channels (or more) is preferred.

As for features, none are required, but of course it would be nice to have an fx loop and onboard reverb.

My budget is about $1000 USD, and I like to play a lot of jazz and jazz/blues. I occasionally go on a metal streak and play a lot of 80s metal/pop. Every once in a while I'll play a classic rock song cuz thats all people want to hear...

Basically, I want to be able to start with some Joe Pass, go through some Zep and GNR, and finish with some Mr. Big and Whitesnake.

EDIT: I want an amp that can do all these things on its own. I don't want to have to fix everything with compression, OD, and a speaker swap.

EDIT 2: I would like it to have a very responsive EQ.
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee
Oh Shit! I Have A Weird Growth On My Body!

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/tonelife/
Last edited by USAPeavey at Sep 13, 2008,
Perhaps a used JSX combo or Peavey XXX/Ultra combo? I can't really think of anything in your price range that can play "everything but the kitchen sink" AND has a very responsive equalizer.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
hmm, fender reverbs and any of the reissues are grand. as are the vox AC-30s. either of those may be a bit expensive for your budget, but never underestimate craigslist. also, don't be afraid of buying a distortion pedal or two to your rig. the ibanez TS-9s are very very good and seem like they'd be right up your alley tonewise (its typical to buy them in pairs so you can use one for light distortion and another for heavier), or you can look into fulltone. im reccommending gear thats a wee bit pricey only because you seem to know your stuff and should get the best quality for your dollar.
Phish Phan
DeadHead
Moe.ron
If there's a jam out there, I'm probably listening to it.

Check out the Bodatious Banana Extravaganza: http://myspace.com/bbeboston
Quote by JilaX^
I seriously doubt that amp exists in your pricerange...

If it does tho... *drool*

Yeah I thought it might come to that...

OK then. I'll take any suggestions. Even way out of my price range. I just want to know whats out there, and I'll do my best to find a good used one.
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

I've looked into the V3, and it really is a spectacular amp on paper. But I have yet to hear one in person.

And the Fender reissues of their boutique reverbs are very nice, but I don't think that their gain capabilities would suit me.
Quote by jackbauer

Quote by guylee

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

V3 would be a good choice
I think perhaps a mesa f-series (they have reeeeeeeaaaally great cleans) amplifier, F-50 maybe?
Kustom Coupe 36.

Read the reviews on musicians friend, most if not all of the things you mentioned are listed at some point or another, and price is under 1000 USD.
YCV50? Or is that too "low rent" for ya?

Try a Fender SuperSonic as well, seriously.

Edit:^ Does the coupe get that much gain? I have yet to try that amp but it's on a short list.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by USAPeavey
I've looked into the V3, and it really is a spectacular amp on paper. But I have yet to hear one in person.

And the Fender reissues of their boutique reverbs are very nice, but I don't think that their gain capabilities would suit me.

I have a 66 Super Reverb and when cranked (6+) it starts to get really gainy and has that Zep/GNR sound. With a boost it would most definetly get heavier. And anything under 5 has really nice cleans.
I checked out the Kustom 36 on youtube, and it sounds really good. I just need to find one in a store near here now.

Right now, these are my two top choices:

Kustom '36 coupe
Mesa Lonestar 1x12

The Mesa is quite a bit more expensive, but they are pretty similar as far a features and quality go. It all comes down to what I can try out locally now.
Quote by jackbauer

Quote by guylee

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox