I'm going to start giving guitar lessons to kids to earn some extra cash for this guitar i want to buy. Real young around 5- 12 years old.

The stuff i'm teaching will be pretty simple but im wondering what do you think would be a good starting point? Any other tips would be great.
Jesus Christ mate. Get ready to deal with a massive amount of irritation. Kids that age find it hard to play and never ever practice. I just hope you have the patience

I'd start with finger exercises and simple songs played on one string
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Wiggy = legend.

Devil's Advocate
Tell them to get naked, take pictures, sell them to strange people on the internet, make money faster.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Quote by bendystraw
Ouch...

i am so happy, my computer speakers actualy blew up about 20 seconds into it.

karma is good to me today
Quote by bazmeister
smoke on the water

no one can fail at it

oh wait... http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=C8MM3dXh3z0

*facepalm*

There is no way that that is serious. He has to be ****ing around.

But still . . . why did that whole video happen at all?
WHY?!

@Guitarfreak

Try teaching them some open string chord shapes and maybe even the major scale.
Also teach them really simple songs that they might enjoy, something that might even want to make them practice.
Teach them a power chord and tell them to go down the neck one or two frets at a time. I taught my seven year old cousin that and now my aunt wants me to give him formal lessons because he's "coming along fine". :|
Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up.
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit.
Give them a little variety in the material you teach them. Start with some notes on the fretboard, a few chords, maybe a scale. Then it's easier to get them to pay attention, though there's never a guarantee that they'll practice their lessons at home.
No animals were harmed in order to bring you the above post. However, several photons were greatly inconvenienced.

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNO-TOAD
How much should i charge and i was wondering if i should let them pick the lesson length. They might get bored, so i was thinking i should let them have the first lesson so i can make it really fun to make them want to come back.
Give them Ring Pops if they do a good job that day. Damn I'm a genius.
Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up.
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit.
Quote by Guitarfreak217
How much should i charge and i was wondering if i should let them pick the lesson length. They might get bored, so i was thinking i should let them have the first lesson so i can make it really fun to make them want to come back.

Well, that kind of depends on where you are at, but i would make the lessons 30 mins, and charge about $15.
I charge $10 for a 30-minute lesson. My old teacher charged me about $12.50 for a 30-minute lesson.
No animals were harmed in order to bring you the above post. However, several photons were greatly inconvenienced.

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNO-TOAD
Quote by Quintessence153
I charge $10 for a 30-minute lesson. My old teacher charged me about $12.50 for a 30-minute lesson.

You DO realize that if you add the 5+1 and then add the 2 and the 0, but count the 0 as a 4 and THEN add those two together and divide it by 2 making it 6 then finally put all those together then you get 666?

Well OBVIOUSLY, your old teacher was the dark lord himself and he infused you with his talent and that, my dear friend, that, why you have so many students.
I feel bad for kids like that, they just don't have any common sense whatsoever.
"My jedi powers are far more superior than yours"
Pork and Beans

Easiest song ever. You can start with the main riff, which is four notes, and then eventually work your way up to the "hard part", that being the chorus, with it's four power chords and all. I taught it to my friend's slow younger brother, and even though he wanted to give up about four times and kept saying "guitar is really hard" he eventually got the first part down.
Last edited by Castlebravo at Sep 14, 2008,
Quote by Guitarfreak217
You DO realize that if you add the 5+1 and then add the 2 and the 0, but count the 0 as a 4 and THEN add those two together and divide it by 2 making it 6 then finally put all those together then you get 666?

Well OBVIOUSLY, your old teacher was the dark lord himself and he infused you with his talent and that, my dear friend, that, why you have so many students.

you sure read between the lines!

EDIT: i actually do have something i'd like to add to this thread

i teach around 7~8 kids between the age 8~15. i think the lay back approach is good. kids wanna play and mostly likely to have fun. so if you teach stuff you think they would have fun with that's great. as for theory slowly ease into it and try explaining it as simple as possible.

i usually try and imagine myself as a 12 year old and what i wish my teacher would teach me and how cool my teach should be
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Last edited by Aftertime at Sep 14, 2008,