okay, so i'm not a bass player, so i don't know much about this kinda thing, but i saw this on a bass that my friend wants to buy, and neither of us know for sure what it is...

heres the link to the picture of the bass:
http://www.axeseekers.com/galleryimages/1965FenderJazzBass.jpg

what we're wondering is:
What is that metal cover-type thing just above the bridge, the one thats covering the pickup, not the bridge itself, but whats it for?
Quote by Smokey Amp
Aren't all voiceovers performed by Morgan Freeman?

I thought that was like a law or something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1KI2Bxcx8M
^^^^ Please watch this! we need more views to win $20 000!
thats a very nice bass.... anyway, those are used by defferent people for different things, some as hand rests, some for sustain im told but ive never tried myself
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
Your friend is going to buy a '65 jazz bass? Not for less than like 3 grand he won't.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
actually, that was a picture of a different bass... the one he wants is a '62 jazz bass...

EDIT: 'tis the one he is looking at:
http://www.rocknrollvintage.com/prodimages/1964-fender-jazz-bass-sunburst%20b.JPG
Quote by Smokey Amp
Aren't all voiceovers performed by Morgan Freeman?

I thought that was like a law or something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1KI2Bxcx8M
^^^^ Please watch this! we need more views to win $20 000!
it was from back in the good old days before wax potting. notice how guitar humbuckers have a metal cover on them, well it's there to stop microphonic feedback. same thing applies to these chrome covers. now that we have wax potting those covers are just there to look good, they have no function anymore
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
he wants a fender '62 jazz but doesnt know what a pickup cover is...... hmm
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
And where does he think he's gonna find the money for a '62?
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
The date on that picture says '64...
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
it's still expensive. and if it isn't, I'm jumping the wagon before your friend, then using the sales money to go total rig upgrade, baby. and I'm not sure, but some of those things have string mutes in them... though that might have stopped by the 60's...
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by skater dan0
it was from back in the good old days before wax potting. notice how guitar humbuckers have a metal cover on them, well it's there to stop microphonic feedback. same thing applies to these chrome covers. now that we have wax potting those covers are just there to look good, they have no function anymore

Sorry to dissapoint you but bit it was purely cosmetic on the Fender Basses, under the tailpiece cover there was a strip of foam rubber to kill some of the sustain,
My 65 Jazz that I bought new, I used it without the covers for most of it's life which if missing when the bass is valued does affect the price.
Attachments:
OldJazz.jpg
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
wow you learn something new every day, i always assumed the did the same as guitar pickup covers but thinking about it they couldn't as they aren't actually connected to the pickup.

ps john i never get tired of seeing that jazz bass, hopefully my sunburst jazz will age that gracefully
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Have you ever had that thing appraised?
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
Quote by srvflood
Have you ever had that thing appraised?

Sold it in 2004 £3500 Sterling
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
If I remember right John, you paid off your mortgage on that one.

Damn that was a right beautiful bass.