Hey i,ve been playing for too many years and the fingers are worn and the beards grey, i play acurately and pretty fast but am in awe of the younger shredders now with warp speed playing,my question is this ,,is it getting too fast and too furious i mean people like Kirk Hamett and Dimebag (god bless) are my type of guys but people like Herman Lee ,Sinister Gates and crew seem to be batteling for supremecy, it ain't a bad thing its actualy inspiring but but are we losing the basics here, one day there will be no voacls,base or drums just a guy solo'ing for an hour and that gets old pretty fast.
What do you think?
my bagder stares at me.....
There's plenty of music today that isn't shred-centric.
It's Only Rock and Roll, But I like It
I think metal is very diverse, you should try listening to other metal bands, Meshuggah for example, they have jazz influenced solos. Also Atheist have some great solos.

The 1000 note per second solos can only go on so far, look at Yngwie, he's lost his steam
I don't think this speed thing will be kept up for much longer. I mean almost every song from Dragonforce sounds like the one befor hand, and the same goes for a7x.
*sigh*
Prepare for genre/band bashing. I don't like DForce, their studio songs are ok though. I do like a7x, granted i don't like all of their songs.
Wait, i dont like all of their songs?! That must mean... they aren't all the same!

Anyways, i think you're just not looking into other genres of music enough/
Quote by kr46
Hey i,ve been playing for too many years and the fingers are worn and the beards grey, i play acurately and pretty fast but am in awe of the younger shredders now with warp speed playing,my question is this ,,is it getting too fast and too furious i mean people like Kirk Hamett and Dimebag (god bless) are my type of guys but people like Herman Lee ,Sinister Gates and crew seem to be batteling for supremecy, it ain't a bad thing its actualy inspiring but but are we losing the basics here, one day there will be no voacls,base or drums just a guy solo'ing for an hour and that gets old pretty fast.
What do you think?

Although I listen to instrumental music, I don't really know a whole lot of people who do. It certainly isn't mainstream enough to become so popular it completely eliminates the concept of a rock band, so I wouldn't worry about that.

I personally think there aren't enough good solos in todays music. Very few popular modern rock bands actually have significant solos like Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, and Van Halen. Almost every modern rock band solos in their songs, but only progressive bands like Tool or The Mars Volta really emphasize their solos like bands did in the late 60s to the 80s.
Quote by zObiPhiOn
I came at the

-"Oh Lars, seek and destroy my backside"
-"yeah Kirk ride my lightning!"

██████████████████████___________██████████████████████
______________________███████████████████
██████████████████████___________██████████████████████
Synyster Gates and Herman Ri are both ****ing jokes. And dime could play twice as fast as either in his day (accurately too). But I agree, there's a point where it's just meaningless and boring. I have much more respect for an adept jazz player than any of the fastest shredders (Gilbert, Petrucci, Vai etc. notwithstanding).

Synyster Gates' supposed mastery of sweeping: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEydKC680Ik

Herman's idea of sweeping: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=se9dl0UxoOY

Real sweeping: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87Iz3RHZNDQ

Sorry that kinda turned into a Gates/Li bashing post
Last edited by .StringTheory at Sep 13, 2008,
Thanks guys some structured thoughts here , i usualy mix a lot of my playing around different styles and am always open to the sounds of youth , but listen to people like Eric Johnson and Billy Gibbons some root bluesy playing and ahead of their time,saw an interview with Sinister Gates from asf and was inpressed to see he uses a lot of older players styles like Dimebag, i like Dragon force very entertaining live but they may get stereotyped as a novelty band if not carefull.
Quote by .StringTheory
Synyster Gates and Herman Ri are both ****ing jokes. And dime could play twice as fast as either in his day (accurately too). But I agree, there's a point where it's just meaningless and boring. I have much more respect for an adept jazz player than any of the fastest shredders (Gilbert, Petrucci, Vai etc. notwithstanding).

Synyster Gates' supposed mastery of sweeping: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEydKC680Ik

There's a flaw in your post....That video of Gates is like 3 years old....
Quote by .StringTheory

Herman's idea of sweeping: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=se9dl0UxoOY

Real sweeping: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-WzXGVnSGI

Sorry that kinda turned into a Gates/Li bashing post

I doubt Dimebag could play as fast as them (at least Herman Li), and he was also sloppy.

I hate Dimebag fans boys.
Not a fan boy, I honestly don't listen to Pantera all that much, I just know a good guitarist when I see one. Herman Li as well as gates are both horribly sloppy, there's no denying it.
They write catchy music no doubt but they get much more credit than they deserve.

Did you know Herman ties a sock around the end of his fretboard in the studio to hide his sloppy picking? Did you know he also has never played some of their songs live, because he simply doesn't have the ability? And did you know that Gates has admitted himself several times that he writes way over his head in the studio and can't actually play some of it live?

And it doesn't matter that the video was 3 years old, I've seen recent live videos and he still can't manage any clean chops.
Everyones entitled to their opinoion i suppose and different styles for different smiles but lets not forget that it was people like Dimebag who pioneered a lot of the tone screaming patterns we see in most bands these days and sometimes when your buried into a song you do miss a few notes hey were human but hates a strong word and the guy ain't here to stick up for himself but a million die hard fans are.

I listened to a lot of retro playeres today hell i listened to zz top and had a big smile on my face Billy Gibbons plays smoothe man and listened to Eric Johnson and he is surely a pioneer.
dimebag>>>>>>>li(maybe not in speed but in general skill & playing)
and li > gates
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
What did you have to go and do that for? Now we have to let this thread go on for 5 pages of people repeating the same posts:
"RIP Dimebag!" "Shredding has no emotion" "I like A7X because I'm not a closed-minded moron" "Each to their own" and finally this exact post I'm doing now.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by kr46
What do you think?

This isn't a thread about who's best its a thread about diferent playing styles and applying different styles into your playing and wether you think fast shredding is important so please lets not make it personal.