I've got an Ibanez RG321 with some upgraded pickups. I'm happy with the guitar, it plays smooth and has a nice tone from the pickups. But alas, I got suckered into buying a spider amp when I was a noob. I'm a much better player, and now need an amp with a good tone, and good enough for gigging.
So I've been shopping around for a tube amp, and I believe a Valveking is what I want. I play all types of metal from Metallica to Killswitch Engage to Lamb of God to Trivium. Can the Valveking get this heavy distortion? Will I need a OD/Distortion pedal? My price range is around $500-$600, but can extend up to about $700-$800 USD (maybe).

Sorry for the wall of text
Gear:
B-52 ATX-100
Mesa Oversized recto 4x12
Jackson DKMG (w/ BareKnuckle Warpigs )
Ibanez Acoustic

Feel free to add me or PM me.
search for "the valveking thread" common response is it cant do metal without a OD boost pedal, such as a tubescreamer.
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Fender Spalted Maple HH Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV Combo
Mesa/Boogie Rectifier 212

www.myspace.com/shapesofgrey
Id look into a used 5150combo or engl screamer for 800 bucks or maybe a jsx combo. Im not familiar on the used price on those though
well if he's asking about the VK i highly doubt that his budget can afford a 5150 or JSX combo.

The VK is a good amp, just not for those genre's u listed. You can make it hit close to the tone you want with an OD, but i can guarantee your not going to get the tone you want with the VK. I suggest a Peavey XXX combo. you can find them used for cheap and they can get very heavy
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
5150 Combo
Bugera 6260 Combo
ENGL Screamer
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
Quote by bjovi400
well if he's asking about the VK i highly doubt that his budget can afford a 5150 or JSX combo.

The VK is a good amp, just not for those genre's u listed. You can make it hit close to the tone you want with an OD, but i can guarantee your not going to get the tone you want with the VK. I suggest a Peavey XXX combo. you can find them used for cheap and they can get very heavy

he stated he can get 800 bucks tops which puts the 5150 pretty much in his price range. Im a big fan of the xxx myself and that would be an excellent choice as well
No, Valvekings will do rock, blues, etc. with ease, but you need a different amp if you a heavy tone. I have a Valveking, and the tone gets muddy when you try and play heavy stuff, so I just stick to blues and rock for now.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
go for a bugera 333xl 212
Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
SCHECTER JEFF LOOMIS C7 FR
Quote by Colgate Total
No, Valvekings will do rock, blues, etc. with ease, but you need a different amp if you a heavy tone. I have a Valveking, and the tone gets muddy when you try and play heavy stuff, so I just stick to blues and rock for now.

I agree. The Valveking's stock speaker is too muddy for metal, IMO (but that muddiness can be swept away somewhat with an overdrive pedal) But with some tricks of the trade and some upgrades the Valveking can be pushed into metal territory.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??