While it seems obvious, I have to ask before I spend...

Is the resonant frequency a good gauge to the overall tone of EMG's pickups?

I ask because I just had the pleasure of playing a 707-TW equipped, 26.5" scale Hellraiser 7-string which I absolutely LOVED. I notice on EMG's website that the RF of the 707-TW present in said guitar is 2300Hz in Dual-coil mode. The pickups are Alnico which I'm sure contributes to the final tone, but at the end of the day, if the RF is similar between two of EMGs pickups, will they sound similar even if the magnets are different?

Sorry, this isn't easy to word. In short, I'd like to load up my Donais model to sound closer to that of the Hellraiser I just played, but my options seem kind of limited. The 85 that's in the guitar has an RF of 2500, the 89 is 2400, the 81-TW is 2225 (I think) and the 81 is 2000. I'm thinking the 81-TW would be closest, but the magnets are different.

If you can make sense of this gibberish, please help me!
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words......uh huh
Quote by jm1681
While it seems obvious, I have to ask before I spend...

Is the resonant frequency a good gauge to the overall tone of EMG's pickups?

I ask because I just had the pleasure of playing a 707-TW equipped, 26.5" scale Hellraiser 7-string which I absolutely LOVED. I notice on EMG's website that the RF of the 707-TW present in said guitar is 2300Hz in Dual-coil mode. The pickups are Alnico which I'm sure contributes to the final tone, but at the end of the day, if the RF is similar between two of EMGs pickups, will they sound similar even if the magnets are different?

Sorry, this isn't easy to word. In short, I'd like to load up my Donais model to sound closer to that of the Hellraiser I just played, but my options seem kind of limited. The 85 that's in the guitar has an RF of 2500, the 89 is 2400, the 81-TW is 2225 (I think) and the 81 is 2000. I'm thinking the 81-TW would be closest, but the magnets are different.

If you can make sense of this gibberish, please help me!

The RF is just the frequency at which the pickup has the highest DC impedance (roughly equates to highest output), so for a pickup with a higher RF, you'll have a brighter character, those with a lower RF will have more rolled off high end and more emphasized mids and low end.

In general the RF can tell you a bit about the voicing of pickups but ceramics and alnicos just have different character. Also, things like the wire gauge, the turns per coil, all affect the tone and characteristics of the pickup. I don't really know a whole lot about pickups, this is just as far as I know.

Hope that helps.
Last edited by al112987 at Sep 13, 2008,
um...i don't understand the technical gibberish, but the 707 is basically a 7 string 85, and the 707TW is probably a 7 string copy of the 89, so maybe an EMG 89?
Quote by RG_FANMAN
um...i don't understand the technical gibberish, but the 707 is basically a 7 string 85, and the 707TW is probably a 7 string copy of the 89, so maybe an EMG 89?

I think the TW versions are just coil splitting sets.
Quote by al112987
I think the TW versions are just coil splitting sets.

EMG 89 = EMG 85 with coil tapping. Since the 707 is a 7 string 85, the 707TW would be the equivalent of an 89.