My gf surprised with a new Schecter Hellraiser FR. She picked it because she liked how it "looked". ;-)

Well since she splurged I decided to go ahead and buy myself a new amp to go with it. I have a Crate GT212 and a Pod XT Live. I really like the pod when practicing, but I can't seem to get it to sound good live. Connecting it to the crate always sounds "flat" either direct or through the effects loop. It does sound a little better through the pa, but the other guitarist has a Carvin tube amp that is just overpowering me and everyone else.

So I just bought a Spider Valve 212. I am struggling with coming to terms with it - it is soo loud and I live in an apartment. So I went out and got a HotPlate Attenuator to try and quiet it. There are so many things that affect volume and tone it is hard to find the right setting - master volume, channel volume, attenuator settings, all in addition to the modeling and effects.

I have tried it during practice the day I got it, and had a hard time finding the right settings that sound good. I think I just need to spend some time with it to get used to it.

But now that I am $1000 poorer I am having second thoughts.

The band thinks I should keep it...but I wonder if I should have gotten a smaller tube amp?

All I really want is a way to make the pod sound good live.....

Should I keep it or return it?

Thanks for any advice
I'd return the spider and get something a lot better for the price. Getting a new amp won't change how good the pod is, your tone will only be as good as the worst piece of equiptment in your setup.
What is your budget? What type of music do you play? Do you mic your amp when you gig? Would you buy used, and if so, what major city do you live near?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
This is going to be a difficult choice for you. I've run my POD through alot of amps. Including a crate gt1200 so i know what your saying about a flat tone. i also run my POD through a peavey windsor head and a phonic power mixer (not to mention the little SS amps I've got here). The best tone i get from my POD is with the Valve Junior, but that won't fit your gig situation. I use it in a Dokken cover band and mic through a PA, but seriously I'm pushing the limits of this setup and it depends alot on the room dynamics. Sometimes i pull the Vj out of the loop, but my tone instantly suffers because of it. What I'm considering is this:

http://www.atomicamps.com/products-112-18.html

They also have 50 watters that are backordered. Everyone at the Line6 forum swears by these so I think i'm going to take the plunge. i feel your pain on the settings adjustments. Everytime i plug into something different it's tweak time, but in the end it's usually worth it. If I can just get the Vj tone from something in the 18 to 30 watt range I'd be pretty much done buying amps.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Epi Valve Standard or Senior? Both 15 watts I believe.
Quote by gregs1020
Epi Valve Standard or Senior? Both 15 watts I believe.

Might be a good option for the TS. The part that concerns me is the 6L6's, It won't sound the same as the el34's in the Vj.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
It would likely sound better/fuller and have a broader tonal range. That is my experience with 6L6's generally.
I don't know. I don't have any experience with 6L6's. I know the el 84's in a buddies fender make alot of difference and I like the tone from the VJ better. Tone is a hard thing and it doesn't take much to change it (often times for the worse). Like I said the TS has some tough choices to make.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD