Hey. basically i dont know much about the best pedals instuff. My amp does quite a nice classic rock Guns N Roses sound without any pedals without a problem but i need to get a pedal that will get me a heavier sound. I would like to get a quite heavy sound like what Foo Fighters have on some of their songs like Monkey Wrench. Can anyone help me in my search?
well what are youre settings right now?
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
hmmm...i am not 100% sure, but isnt the classic 30 a british voiced amp? grohl uses mesa roadkings, an american voiced amp. sooooo....the only thing i can really advise for you other than another amp is either an EQ or this: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Tech-21-SansAmp-GT2-Tube-Amp-Emulator?sku=480208

it basically is an analog emulator. not too bad either. my friends dad has one... but i would say mess with your onboard EQ first...then if you cant get anything close check out an EQ. finally, use this as a last resort.

as for your onboard EQ check out the ultimate settings sticky at the top or just do what your ear likes.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
ProCo Rat ? Boss MD-2?
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
of course your probably not going to match the sounds perfectly, but I would definately recommend a good OD pedal, not a distortion pedal.

A good tubescreamer or a badmonkey. my two cents
and of course a good EQ pedal in an effects loop does wonders
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Quote by Foo Fighters!!
gain - 6/7
Treble - 5
middle - 4/5
bass - 3
these are my basic setting at the moment

Peavey Classic 30 doesn't have a gain control. Only Pre and Post.
(I have the same amp and love it)

Quote by 08L1V10N
ProCo Rat ? Boss MD-2?

X2 on the Boss MD-2. As long as you don't use the idiot settings (max everything) this is a very good and versatile pedal.
I have yet to hear a Tubescreamer on this amp, let me know if you try this route.
The Classic 30 is based on Fenders, so Im pretty sure its American voiced.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Peavey Classic 30 doesn't have a gain control. Only Pre and Post.
(I have the same amp and love it)
urrggh u no what i mean lol
Quote by Foo Fighters!!
the peavey classic 30 is based on fenders?

Well, I thought it was like a Bassman clone sort of thing. I've been told they're a poor man's Fender.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
i stand corrected. the peavey's must be fender-based.

anyway, if youre looking for gain off the wazoo....go for the ProCo Rat.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by lespaul#1
The Classic 30 is based on Fenders, so Im pretty sure its American voiced.

Wrong Wrong Wrong!!
The Classic are driven by EL-84s (a british valve) and are diffenitly not American voiced. Stock they try to walk a fine line of a some where in between amp with the blue marvel speaker, but really it does nothing to make it sound American voiced. IMO The best amp to compare the Classic's tone to is some where between a OD'n plexi and Vox AC30, ultimitly sounding like like niether. They don't even sound similar to a Bassman, lots of gainy OD, and really dark vox/marshall cleans. The may look like bassmans but that were the similarites end
TS what power tubes do you have in your classic? I could easily get a Foo Fighters gain level out of my C30. Also what guitar?
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
ive left everything stock in the c30 because i dont know what im doin when itcomes to replacing speakers etc. Ive got a squire strat but im gonna get a new axe soon.I was thinking maybe a tele
^ The guitar is your problem, not that its a Squire, its the fact that is uses single coils. The classics are really reponsive your guitar and a mid-high output humbucker will give your amp a lot more gain. Also these amps seem to love JJ EL-84s that will give a big gain bost as well. With a humbucker amp JJ power tubes you should be able to aproach Iron Madian gain level. Really though the Foo Fighters don't have a really ton of gain, you could try adding a OD pedal in front of the amps OD Channel, dime the volume and keep the level below 9:00. Or just crank the amps volume way up to dive the tubes more it will get real nasty if you turn the pre gain and the post gain all the way up. It will be very heavy, but very loud as well.
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
ok cheers. so i need a guitar with at least on humbucker. any suggestions? i like les paul shapes butcant afford a gibson. the most i can spend is £500
i have an epiphone les paul custom, and i play it through a peavey classic 30, and you can get a great rock sound great for most foo fighters songs, but you still may need a boost to get some extra gain.