Page 2 of 6
i waws going with the valve special because of the EQ and Gain control
thought that would be a better option for my needs especially if i want to play at night with a bit more gain.
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Custom Built Acoustic
Epiphone Valve Special
Marshall Guv'nor GV2
tanglewood 1000 pu resonator
washborn acoustic
My Build
Alright.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Hey, TS, maybe you could make a list of all ODs and Boosts out there? Even if there aren't any reviews for them yet, it would still be cool to know what you can choose from if you're buying an OD/boost.
Finally - a better OD/Dist thread.

Well done!
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Perhaps there should be threads like this one for other effects too? At least for weird stuff since people often ask about weird-sounding effects.
Thanks Darkarbiter and SSl27, both added

EDIT:

Quote by Goldenglove
Hey, TS, maybe you could make a list of all ODs and Boosts out there? Even if there aren't any reviews for them yet, it would still be cool to know what you can choose from if you're buying an OD/boost.

I heartily agree, I'm about to go out, but I'll get onto it.
I perhaps could try to do such a list and pm it to you for editing.
I'm also worried that there are sooo many distortion pedals out there'll be too many reviews.
Quote by Goldenglove
I perhaps could try to do such a list and pm it to you for editing.
I'm also worried that there are sooo many distortion pedals out there'll be too many reviews.

You're list was the tits, edited in
EHX LPB-1 Review

Great little od and very cheap and sturdy as hell. Its pretty much two pedals in one, but with one convenient knob. When going from 1-4.5 on the knob your going to get a pretty big clean boost and going from 4.5-10 gradually increases gain and fullness. That said its not a clean boost pedal you can dime and go on about your way because it will color your sound. So take it slow and you will be just fine. Adds in a hell of alot of clarity to your tone as well if you keep it in that 1-4.5 mark. Right now im using it as a clean boost to tighten and add a hair more fatness for metal purposes.

Pros- Sturdy, Cheap, Small Foot Print, Sounds great
Cons- A bit noisy when cranked.

Ill add in some more reviews when I get some more time. God knows I have tested/owned my far share of boost pedals lol
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Sep 14, 2008,
Quote by IbanezPsycho
EHX LPB-1 Review

Great little od and very cheap and sturdy as hell. Its pretty much two pedals in one. Has one knob which is convenient going from 1-4.5 is going to give you a pretty big clean boost and going from 4.5-10 gradually increases gain and fullness. That said its not a clean boost pedal you can dime and go on about your way because it will color your sound. So take it slow and you will be just fine. Adds in a hell of alot of clarity to your tone as well if you keep it in 1-4.5 mark. Right now im using it as a clean boost and to get a hair more fattness for metal purposes.

Pros- Sturdy, Cheap, Small Foot Print, Sounds great, Two pedals in one
Cons- A bit noisy when cranked.

Ill add in some more reviews when I get some more time. God knows I have tested/owned my far share of boost pedals lol

Added even though its not a complete clean boost, I'll stick it in the boosty section
Quote by minibrowny
You're list was the tits, edited in

Thanks
But I suggest you make the "OD" and "Boost" lines bold, so that it will be easier to see where the ODs end and the boosters begin.
Your list is missing the Marshall Guv'nor and Jackhammer.

Good cheap pedals - are very usable. If you're on a budget, these things are great.

If you have an infinite budget, do you need an OD if you have an expensive custom made hi-gain amp?
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Quote by Simsimius
Your list is missing the Marshall Guv'nor and Jackhammer.

Good cheap pedals - are very usable. If you're on a budget, these things are great.

If you have an infinite budget, do you need an OD if you have an expensive custom made hi-gain amp?

Hmmm, well a lot of guitarists have ultra high gain amps and still use it to tighten up the sound. And aye, I'll edit the Marshall pedals in a mo, I retired my Jackhammer but its a cracking pedal for the price.
I made a list of ODs and boosts, and I thought that these Marshall are more on the distortion side, but it's quite possible I was wrong.
I'm amazed at the Maxon range...
Quote by Goldenglove
I made a list of ODs and boosts, and I thought that these Marshall are more on the distortion side, but it's quite possible I was wrong.
I'm amazed at the Maxon range...

They are meant to be ODs (Jackhammer has an OD and Dist mode - dist mode is useless).
The pedals have more dynamics then you'd expect. I use them into my clean channel - not a bad sound, quite nice if I get my new speaker + tubes.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Oh mini, I made a bit of a typo in my review. I said "the voicing knob all the way to the left makes the amp voiced like a TS808", Instead of "amp", I meant "pedal".
Also, if you could just add the 7 to my name in my review, that would be nice.

Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I noticed a couple of doubles in the list that you might want to take out to help conserve space. They're the Carl Martin AC-Tone and the Keeley Time Machine.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
Well, I listed 'em twice cause they can work as an OD or boost, and my list was originally in two parts - the OD part and the boost part, but somehow the tags got lost, I guess.
And has anyone done a full comparison of all the Maxon ODs?
maybe you should devote a paragraph explaining the differences between soft and hard clipping, and why OD pedals are usually prefered because they use soft clipping to help preserve the original signal form.

I think a lot of people don't really understand the differences between distortion and overdrive. While overdrive is a form of distortion with guitar jargon its different.

where as the distortion obviously just cuts the signal. This is why distortion pedals can usually reach insane amounts of gain, but you loose a lot of the original signal.

Whereas with soft clipping there is not plateauing. Most of the original signal is still preserved keeping the same shape, which is why it changes your tone the least. My two cents, but pretty cool post.
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Last edited by ICANSEEYOU7687 at Sep 14, 2008,
Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive

Quoted from MusiciansFriend.com:

"The Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive pedal gives you the dynamic punch of a clean amp, and the sustain and warmth of an overdriven amp, all in a single stompbox! Sparkle Drive's unique Clean control lets you blend its overdrive circuit with a boosted clean signal for a rich, layered guitar tone.

With the Clean control off (fully counterclockwise), the overdrive circuit has the same classic tones as a vintage 808. With the Clean control all the way up, you get a super transparent, 100% clean boost with tons of output for driving the front end of your amp! Just spend a few minutes dialing-in the Clean control with your setup, and you'll find a sweet spot that no other single pedal can deliver! Sparkle Drive features true bypass switching, a heavy-duty metal switch and on/off status LED. Hand built in the U.S.A. and fully backed by a 5-year warranty."

Well with that out of the way, this is indeed an awesome little pedal. Cut the clean, you get a 808 clone. (A good one at that.) Cut the gain and you have a great clean boost. The volume is self explanitory, as is the tone. Roll the tone to the left, you got a great, fat lead tone, roll it to the right and you got a bright bit-o-crunch. Mix and blend and you can get a believeable "tube" sound through a decent solid state. But do NOT take that as an excuse not to pick up a tube amp. This is where the Sparkle Drive really shines. I run it on the clean channel of a Mesa F-50. I get a great bluesy, indy and mid-gain classic rock sound. Switch to my gain channel and its an awesome boost. Adds a little more definition and saturation.

Pros: Great, versitile sounding pedal that has MANY different applications. Fairly priced as well at $130 USD.

The only con I have is, like any OD, is there is a little bit of noise. Then again I am running it on a daisy chain and not an isolated power supply. When I have time to try that I will change the review and see how it runs alone. (Amps and pedals are at home, I am an hour and a half from school)

Add, remove, change and correct as needed!
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Last edited by LaidBack at Sep 14, 2008,
Distortion/ODs pedals I've OWNED stock for any length of time

Boss DS1 (a whole 10 minutes)
Boss SD1
Subdecay Blackstar
Subdecay Stupid Box 2.0
Carl Martin Plexitone prototype (different clipping from stock PT)
Carl Martin AC Tone prototyope
Carl Martin Hot Drive and Boost custom
Big Muff
Seymour Duncan Power Grid
MI Audio Crunchbox
MI Audio Blues Pro
DIY GGG Brown Sound In a Box II
Digitech Bad Monkey
Paul Cochrane TIM
Line 6 Uber Metal
AMT Diststation

I THINK that's it... there may have been more, can't recall.

Ones I modded:
SD1
DS1
Carl Martin Hot Drive and Boost
Changed the chip on the Blues Pro as well, though that's not really modding

If anyone would like any reviews on any of those pedals I'd be glad to provide.
Quote by Pott
Distortion/ODs pedals I've OWNED stock for any length of time

Boss DS1 (a whole 10 minutes)
Boss SD1
Subdecay Blackstar
Subdecay Stupid Box 2.0
Carl Martin Plexitone prototype (different clipping from stock PT)
Carl Martin AC Tone prototyope
Carl Martin Hot Drive and Boost custom
Big Muff
Seymour Duncan Power Grid
MI Audio Crunchbox
MI Audio Blues Pro
DIY GGG Brown Sound In a Box II
Digitech Bad Monkey
Paul Cochrane TIM
Line 6 Uber Metal
AMT Diststation

I THINK that's it... there may have been more, can't recall.

Ones I modded:
SD1
DS1
Carl Martin Hot Drive and Boost
Changed the chip on the Blues Pro as well, though that's not really modding

If anyone would like any reviews on any of those pedals I'd be glad to provide.

i'd say reviews of the two MI audio pedals, and the big muff would be AWESOME!!!!
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Well my Muff is one of the latest Russian versions, it's bog standard. Modded it some, didn't like it, back to standard. Nothing's leaving that PCB for now!

As for the two MI Audios... ok let me concoct something.

I used two Crunchboxes, a stock MI Audio one and one I built, without the presence control. The DIY one is darker and slightly smoother, I actually prefer it even though I need to keep the tone all the way up to treble.
It's got LOADS of gain, but I wouldn't use it for very modern metal sounds. The midrange and bass are quite different, more 80s like. I'm not saying it's not possible, just that to me it sounds a little bigger and more old school. With a boost in front it tightens things up nicely.
It doesn't clean up that well from the volume pot, and it's not a pedal that does a lot of things very well. It's made to do one thing: rock out. And it does that for cheap, a GREAT build quality and above all, sounds great on most amps. Most Marshall emulations I tried are quite picky about amps.
It can also under certain settings be a bright pedal, so watch out. But it's a perfectly usuable one, especially live as it cuts very well.

The Blues Pro is basically the perfect OD pedals, for that price at least. Very transparent, easy to use, and yet every tones out of this box is useable. I use mine as a standalone OD, not as boost like I'd use the stock SD1 or most Tubescreamers (which I usually dislike strongly). It cleans up nicely, has great dynamics and at lower gain settings, can make you sound simply like you have more of everything. GREAT little box for a great price.

BP + crunchbox stack up VERY well together. You can set the BP for low gain, into the CB set for medium gain, and both together will bring you a quiet, brilliant and ballsy metal sound. Real good combo, made for each other.
^ Thats gona be a long-ass list
Quote by Le_Bunny
Money doesn't fuel good music. Passion does.

Well, the idea of having a list of all of them is going to be damn near impossible.

theres SO many pedals, its ridiculous.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
^ I agree, but thanks, now that I've added your list and Potts reviews, can you both delete your posts to save space? Ta.
I have to respectfully disagree with the 666 settings on the 808. I'm not sure if the reviewer was confused or what, but the best way to use a ts to tighten up an amp is gain 0 and level at or near 10, and set the tone knob to taste.

I would also mention something about General guitar gadgets' and Build your own clone's 808 copies which are just as good and much cheaper. Downside is that you have to put it together yourself, which may actually be a plus if you're into that kind of thing.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
I have to respectfully disagree with the 666 settings on the 808. I'm not sure if the reviewer was confused or what, but the best way to use a ts to tighten up an amp is gain 0 and level at or near 10, and set the tone knob to taste..

Well, i disrespectfully disagree The 666 setting hardly adds any gain, but its different than using it as a straight clean boost. 'Best' is subjective anyway, 666 makes my amp tighter with better mids, using it as a boost just gives it a bit more gain and slightly tighter, its preference.
That's cool

I'd still mention the gain 0 and level 10 thing and definitely put something on there for GGG and BYOC. You can get a boutique quality OD from GGG for 60 bucks.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Here are my choices for my new OD. I'm looking for something versatile, dynamic, and responsive. Which do you reccomend?

Boss OD-3
MI Audio Blues Pro
Fulltone Fulldrive II
Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drve
Barber LTD

I'm leaning BP or SD, though the OD-3 or FDII aren't far gone. The Barber I think is least on the list.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
The only ones out of those that I have played Fool, are the SD and te Boss. And obviously the SD wins out. The sparkle drive, like i said, has the Clean side and the Drive side. use em individually or mixed. I found mixed is best.

What I would really like to do would to get 2. One as a Tightener with some slight gain and leave it on at all times and another one as a sole clean boost....but i dont have ANOTHER $130.

So my biased opinoin says the Sparkle Drive. But you know the drill...try try try and keep doing research.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Thanks. Yeah the OD-3 isn't that high on my list. I already have a BD-2 and it would seem that they are similar, but the BD-2 is more for dynamics, so I already "have" what I want, I just don't liove the tone.

What about the Monte Allums H20 mod for the BD-2?
Anyone have any experiance with it?
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell