Page 3 of 6
My SD-1 is incredibly noisy at the moment when boosting lol, because my pedalboard is like two foot away from the amp for space convenience, so like if I leave one string un-muted the feedback is deafening with my DSL master vol. on 2.
Quote by FoolOnThePlanet
Thanks. Yeah the OD-3 isn't that high on my list. I already have a BD-2 and it would seem that they are similar, but the BD-2 is more for dynamics, so I already "have" what I want, I just don't liove the tone.

What about the Monte Allums H20 mod for the BD-2?
Anyone have any experiance with it?

There's this guy in the modding part of the forum, don't remember the name, but he did a thread about the ultimate BD-2 mod, says it sounds better than the ones out there.
^ Yeah, its seems a lot of the Boss OD's benefit from a bit of modding, I'm far too electrically inept to do any of that, plus I'm happy enough with my pedals. Though, does anyone know the benefits of a Keeley mod for a TS808?
As far as I remember, more sensitive, more gain-range, less treble/bass drop so it tames the mid-hump a bit...
Quote by Goldenglove
As far as I remember, more sensitive, more gain-range, less treble/bass drop so it tames the mid-hump a bit...

Ah ok, well I like the fact that it has little gain and adore the mid hump lol, I guess its not for me...
I couldn't help noticing that the Fulltone Fulldrive isn't included on the list.

I think.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by rhcp_freak
I couldn't help noticing that the Fulltone Fulldrive isn't included on the list.

I think.

Added.

EDIT: Tis there, twice in fact
I'm looking for a distortion pedal that cuts off alot of higher tones and is very thick (if I understand the FAQ as I should). I currently have the DigiTech rp80, and I don't get alot of control with it. I'm looking to play grungy stuff, but still have a very tight sound. Any options?
Quote by minibrowny
Ah ok, well I like the fact that it has little gain and adore the mid hump lol, I guess its not for me...

The keeley mod is a few components to reduce bass loss and remove the mid hump, one of the components also lowers the amount of gain when the drive is at zero. He uses a 1meg pot for the gain to increase max gain.

808s really benefit from experimenting with the clipping section, germanium diodes really open up the compression on it, but lower its ouput. LEDs can lend a somewhat crunchy quality, almost marshall like some people say.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Ninjamonkey767
I'm looking for a distortion pedal that cuts off alot of higher tones and is very thick (if I understand the FAQ as I should). I currently have the DigiTech rp80, and I don't get alot of control with it. I'm looking to play grungy stuff, but still have a very tight sound. Any options?

What amp do you have? Are you looking to use it solely as a gain channel almost, or will it be complementing the overdrive of the amp?
Quote by minibrowny
What amp do you have? Are you looking to use it solely as a gain channel almost, or will it be complementing the overdrive of the amp?

I currently have the Frontman 15g, but I'm going to upgrade to something a little bassier. I might get the pedal first, though.

I don't use overdrive on the amp.
Hey I want to get the Fulltone OCD, But then I saw Fulltone made the GT-500, it has overdrive AND distortion, will I get the same overdrive that I would with the single OCD?
Posting again

If I wanted deep, creamy metal distortion, what pedal would I get? I was thinking about the Subdecay Blackstar
Quote by Le_Bunny
Money doesn't fuel good music. Passion does.

Quote by (Metal)lica
Posting again

If I wanted deep, creamy metal distortion, what pedal would I get? I was thinking about the Subdecay Blackstar

Which? The Dist or the DistX? I like mine, the only issue i have is that its noisy, and a lot of people hate them, I suggest trying it out to see what you think.
UM. STUPID QUESTION TIME.

What's True Bypass Exactly? No noise when cranked or? Or tone sucking?
Quote by Ishereel
UM. STUPID QUESTION TIME.

What's True Bypass Exactly? No noise when cranked or? Or tone sucking?

True bypass means that the pedal doesn't suck any tone or signal, if a pedal isn't then you lose signal and tone.
Thanks Minibrowny.

Fulltone ODC OR Ibanez TS-9 OR FUlltone GT-500?

(I have a Crate V33-212)
Quote by Ishereel
Thanks Minibrowny.

Fulltone ODC OR Ibanez TS-9 OR FUlltone GT-500?

(I have a Crate V33-212)

Eek, thats a tough one, well the TS9 is the worst out of the three, but its still a fantastic pedal. I suggest trying them out, none of them are bad pedals, so all of them would do fine. I suppose you're using them to tighten up the gain on the amp?
Yeah, the channel with gain is really crappy, and I was planning on using the clean channel with pedals, that would work good right?

And If I knew that the OD on the OCD is the same on the GT-500 hundred I think I'd get that, it has most of what I need to start up.
Quote by Ishereel
Yeah, the channel with gain is really crappy, and I was planning on using the clean channel with pedals, that would work good right?

And If I knew that the OD on the OCD is the same on the GT-500 hundred I think I'd get that, it has most of what I need to start up.

Ah, I'm afraid I don't know that, you'd have to check on the Fulltone website.
I have a DS-1, Deralectro OD, and a DigiTech Blues. Either of the Fulltones would sound better right?
Quote by minibrowny
Which? The Dist or the DistX? I like mine, the only issue i have is that its noisy, and a lot of people hate them, I suggest trying it out to see what you think.

I am talking about the SUBDECAY BLACKSTAR DISTORTION thats just the name, its not Blackstar the company

Quote by (Metal)lica
Posting again

Now can someone answer please?
Quote by Le_Bunny

Last edited by (Metal)lica at Sep 28, 2008,
Quote by minibrowny
True bypass means that the pedal doesn't suck any tone or signal, if a pedal isn't then you lose signal and tone.

Absolutely NOT true and 100% irrelevent.

True bypass means the signa is disconnected at the input and output. I.e when off the circuit is bypassed entirely, which means it behaves like a cable basically.

Non true bypass can take many forms.

Older pedals like the Fuzz Face only disconnected the output when the pedal was off. So you get a big load (from the input which is still connected) and THAT sucks tone.

Some pedals switch like this, but have an input (and output of course for when the pedal is off) buffer. What this does is re-establish the correct input impedance so that the bypassed tone doesn't lose treble by the otherwise added capacitance.

Think of it as a door. If your signal is bigger than the door, then it passes, but it loses some of it to the edges. If it's smaller, then it passes in without issues. That's input impedance.
When the signal comes out, you gotta lower its impedance so it can go through the next door.

Then other pedals like Boss actually use electronic switching which is yet different, but also buffered.

Some people think buffers suck tone too, which could be true of badly designed ones. Great buffers are a benefit to your signal chain as you can then run long cables without loss of treble.

So true bypass basically adds cable length, and that is, regardless of circumstances, 100% guaranteed to suck tone, no matter how minimal it is.

Think of it this way... One cable, + all true bypass pedalboard, + cable to amp. Add all the length together. That's a lot of capacitance, especially live (with longer cables).
Put a buffered pedal in there and impedance is somewhat restored, capacitance diminished and your treble are back.

All TB = tone suck
Bad buffers = tone suck
Older bypass = tone suck

IDEALLY you'd love to have guitar -> cable -> buffered 1st pedal -> all TB -> buffered 2nd pedal -> cable -> amp

I hope this made sense.
The Blackstar is not very creamy, and it's fuzzy on the edges, I wouldn't say it's a modern metal distortion. Think Plug in baby by Muse (lead voicing). Hear that hint of fuzz in there? The Subdecay gives you that.
Quote by Pott
The Blackstar is not very creamy, and it's fuzzy on the edges, I wouldn't say it's a modern metal distortion. Think Plug in baby by Muse (lead voicing). Hear that hint of fuzz in there? The Subdecay gives you that.

What would you recommend?
Quote by Le_Bunny

Turn it off, turn off the power. If it's TB, then there will be signal. If not, it simply won't work. That's one test. For the buffered, no clue. Look at the schematics. Or do a test with a true bypass pedal. Put the main pedal in its loop, switch it on and off using long cables and a clean sound. If you hear more treble when the main pedal is engaged (but off) then it's buffered. That's if it's not TB of course, or else it'll all sound exactly the same.
Quote by (Metal)lica
What would you recommend?

There are a boatload of distortion pedals out there that are capable of 'creamy lead tone'. That means very little. What kind of thing are you looking for? Do you want a full band EQ, a lot of options, multichannels, for live, recording or bedroom, what's your price range etc...
Quote by Pott
There are a boatload of distortion pedals out there that are capable of 'creamy lead tone'. That means very little. What kind of thing are you looking for? Do you want a full band EQ, a lot of options, multichannels, for live, recording or bedroom, what's your price range etc...

Metallica, Black Label Society, Sabbath, basicly Heavey Metal type stuff
I would like an eq with some options, multichannels isnt needed
For home recording like uploading audio stuff on UG (in the future) or youtube vids
Nothing over 180 USD
Quote by Le_Bunny

These bands all have very different sounds. You will never sound like bands anyway, even if you use just their rig. Can't help you if it's how you describe the sound you want.

Heck a Metalzone could get you close enough to these
Then whats a heavy metal creamy distortion pedal? Forget the bands
Quote by Le_Bunny

So this is probably a completely n00b question, but can you have an overdrive pedal (such as a tubescreamer or something) on a ss amp? or a hybrid?
The name's Austin
Quote by Leo Tolstoy
Music is the shorthand of emotion.
Quote by Friedrich Nietzsche
Without music life would be a mistake.
Quote by danyellenik
nice job! this is looking good.

I'm going to be buying a nice boutique OD at the end of the month, and I'll contribute then.

I'm looking a lot at the diamond j-drive mk3, beautiful pedal

or an xotic BB preamp, or a fulltone OCD, or a maxon od-808

opinions on what OD to get to play blues/classic rock on the clean channel or boost my OD channel on my classic 30 to metal?

I have a Fulltone GT-500

Best classic rock overdrive with a decent tube amp, works as a really nice boost aswell, gets a really warm fat tone.

The distortion sounds like a heavy overdrive as oposed to a distortion, think marshall JCM 800 gritty, "brown" overdrive tone
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
Quote by (Metal)lica
Then whats a heavy metal creamy distortion pedal? Forget the bands

I hmmmmm, if you're talking the like the into solo to fade to black, have a fiddle with a Boss HM-2, keep it really clean (dont take the distortion past 9 oclock), as for the colour mix, that really depends on the flavour you're looking for, keep the gain low, nobody outside of nu metal has any respect for it *flame sheild on*
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
Excellent explanation, Pott. I would also like to add that it's impossible to have the perfect buffer (though some come too close for anybody to tell the difference), and really the cleanest sound is: guitar-cable-amp. True bypass works really well for short pedal chains. Also, you can use a combination of loopers and signal routing switches to shorten your pedal chain. But if you've just gotta have 15 different pedals feeding into the same signal, the buffer is the only way to go. Using high-quality cables also becomes important at that point.
Keep in mind my explanation is very simplistic, but unless you want to get into deep electronics (Which I certainly don't want to), it'll have to do
Add Ulbrick 12AXE and Megaladon to the ever growing list.

Boutique pedals from Australia. Supposedly really good. (Apparently Larry Carlton and Robyn Ford we're impressed and each got one when they we're in Australia.)
http://www.ulbricksound.com/default.asp?p=CR&id=7

Haven't become popular yet, so there is shit all in terms of sound-clips, but they are rated extremely highly on harmony central, and from what ive heard are excellent.

The only youtube video featuring either of the pedals.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqKF5dhuC4A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVQpjihgytQ