Hello everybody.I am new to this forum and new to playing the guitar and i have a big problem, i got this book with some interesting scales and licks with tabs and notes.I can play the tabs, but i have no idea how to read the notes.Help?
Conquer your fear, and I promise you, you will conquer death ->
The Anciet King of Macedonia - Alexander the Great
Quote by SaleoMkd
Hello everybody.I am new to this forum and new to playing the guitar and i have a big problem, i got this book with some interesting scales and licks with tabs and notes.I can play the tabs, but i have no idea how to read the notes.Help?

First, you have to know in which tuning your guitar uses, I assume it is standard.
In S tuning, the notes for open strings are like this:

E-(lighter string)
B-
G-
D-
A-
E-(thickest string)

Then you should learn the notes in the first 5 frets or so of the guitar, as a reference at least (you can't start learning the notes in the 24 fret cause that would confuse you a lot more, and it wouldn't be as easy to remember)

If you are taking the C major scale (the first one you could use to learn notes/scales/etc), then it goes like this.

(E)--F--X--G--X--A
(B)--C--X--D--X--E
(G)--X--A--X--B--C
(D)--X--E--F--X--G
(A)--X--B--C--X--D
(E)--F--X--G--X--A

( ) are open strings...

the X represent non-natural notes, aka altered notes, like C#/Db, F#/Gb, etc (you can get a keyboard to know which these are by looking at the black keys in said keyboard).

Once you learn those notes, and are familiar with them, and also are familiar with the distance between each of them (2 frets/1 tone between D-C, 1 fret/1 semitone betwee E-F, etc) then you can go further into the fretboard and learn the notes.
To go further into the fretboard you can also try to make the same note higher in strings and closer to the head/nut/whatever and see which note it falls into (afterwards you can do this instantly when knowing which fret you are in)...

If you have

G-----
D--7

You can memorise it as

G--2
D---

Then you realise it is an A, then you note which note you are fretting
Every guitarist should know how the musical staff works. Sight reading is less important, especially if you're a young punk who just wants to rock out and kick ass ("punk" is usually an insult from me, but I mean it in a good way here) right now.

Guitar is written on the treble clef. Each line represents a note, as does each space. The lines go E G B D F and the spaces go F A C E. Face is easy to remember, but a good pneunomic device for the lines is "every good boy does fine."

This wiki link will explain the more complex stuff better than I can:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ledger_line

Look at everything and have a working knowledge of the staff.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Every guitarist should know how the musical staff works. Sight reading is less important, especially if you're a young punk who just wants to rock out and kick ass ("punk" is usually an insult from me, but I mean it in a good way here) right now.

Guitar is written on the treble clef. Each line represents a note, as does each space. The lines go E G B D F and the spaces go F A C E. Face is easy to remember, but a good pneunomic device for the lines is "every good boy does fine."

This wiki link will explain the more complex stuff better than I can:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ledger_line

Look at everything and have a working knowledge of the staff.

You know, I am always angry when I have to read like 10 ledger lines above the trebble cleff...
Isn't there another cleff that can be put above trebble?
Like the E in 3rd cleff?