Hi, I went into a music shop today and played a P Bass for the first time and I absolutely love the tone, but, it just feels horrible. I was very bulky and the neck was a bit too thick. Is there any chance of finding a bass with the same(ish) sound of the Fender P but with a different body and possibly a little more control (EQ wise). I dont want to break the bank so £650 is my absolute limit (its already a stretch so no more stretching.)
I personally would say that a P bass is quite ergonically designed and although it seems bulky, the wood is relatively light and the shape is very comfortable, once you get used to it.

Anyway, my advice would be to get a hybrid bass with a jazz neck and P pickups. i think the aerodyne jazz has something similar to this (albeit with a P AND a J pickup) and that's definately in your price range.

I could be wrong, so do your research first.
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.
You could try a Deluxe active P. It has an added J pickup and an ative pre amp, so you'll have a very versatile bass, for around £400-500 I think.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Quote by fleajr_1412
You could try a Deluxe active P. It has an added J pickup and an ative pre amp, so you'll have a very versatile bass, for around £400-500 I think.

This will be your best bet if you like P sound, but don't like the feel. I believe it has a Jazz bass neck, which is much thinner. And you can just set the pickup pan completely to the P pickup, and you're good to go.
How's your fretting hand technique? If you don't play properly, yes, those necks can feel really clunky. However, if you play with your thumb as an anchor and your fingers parallel to the frets, one finger per fret, they're fantastic.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
or, you could buy a p bass and a jazz neck and just do it yourself, if you're up to it. sell the P neck from the bass, and you shouldn't have too much of a price difference.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
or, you could buy a p bass and a jazz neck and just do it yourself, if you're up to it. sell the P neck from the bass, and you shouldn't have too much of a price difference.

This.

Lots of people seem to do this with satisfactory results.
Now it's 1984
Knock knock at your front door
It's the suede denim secret police
They have come for your un-cool niece
Like thefitz, I find the P bass neck very comfortable if you use the right fretting technique. I also find the body more comfortable than my jazz because it's smaller. P basses can be very comfortable if you play with good technique

EDIT: To threadstarter, NOTHING sounds like a p bass. If you want p bass sound simply get a precision bass. You'll get used to the body and the neck isn't as bad as people make it out to be. I actually like the chunky p bass neck more than my jazz's slim neck. A Jazz with its neck pickup solo'ed can sorta sound like a p bass but not close enough to use in a p bass setting.
Fender FSR Standard Jazz Bass(Sapphire Blue finish!!)
Squier VM TB Bass
Squier Precision Bass(heavily modified)
Behringer 180 Watt Combo<--My EQ pedal made this sound decent O_o until I get my Gallien-Krueger half stack
Last edited by FenderAmpeg93 at Sep 13, 2008,
get a jazz bass and but P bass pickups in it?
Quote by metalcore123
I hate trying to cover up my cheese in school because the bimbo next to me dislikes the smell of pure love.

I'm bringing farts back!
Quote by SoftParade1967
get a jazz bass and but P bass pickups in it?

nonexistent. except the mark hoppus but... it's not much of a bass. and but one knob.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Either the deluxe active P or either aerodyne basses (p or j) would work and be in your price range. But remeber that the active p has (obviously) active electronics, meaning that it won't sound the same as a regular P. Personally, I'd go with The Humanity's advice and buy a J neck (Ebay or Warmoth are great places to look, especially ebay if you're on a budget, and you seem to be), then sell your p neck
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
doesn't allparts sell them too? and I saw one in Sam Ash the other day...
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
nonexistent. except the mark hoppus but... it's not much of a bass. and but one knob.

i meant buy a jazz bass and put P bass pick ups in it.
Quote by metalcore123
I hate trying to cover up my cheese in school because the bimbo next to me dislikes the smell of pure love.

I'm bringing farts back!
Quote by SoftParade1967
i meant buy a jazz bass and put P bass pick ups in it.

the holes don't correlate. and the aerodyne would be much easier, and about the same price if he's buying real pickups.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
doesn't allparts sell them too? and I saw one in Sam Ash the other day...

ya I think so. It's just that ebay is cheaper and Warmoth has a wider range of woods and options. Allparts is good too, though
Quote by C0_0kie

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
KK, I looked up the deluxe active P, I'm not sure where it's made but it seems good. I'm sure I can used to the body but the neck has got to go though, when I was playing the P Bass in the shop the next felt like a log (probably cos I'm used to the lovely Jazz neck).
Changing the next can't be that difficult can it? I'm assuming the P and J necks are the same size where they are bolted on so its just a matter of bolt on then bolt off. I wouldn't sell the spare P neck I'd simply whack it on my first bass which also has a chunky neck but has a shitty headstock thats disintergrating at the screws.

So...
1. Save up £600ish (I need a job first)
2. Buy Deluxe P
3. Buy Jazz Neck
4. Replace mustard coloured pickguard, yuck.
5. Jam
The Deluxe Active P Special is made in Mexico. Mine has a GREAT feel to it. It comes with a Jazz neck and the pickguard looks MUCH better in person than it does in pictures. I have it in maple/blizzard pearl.

Quote by thefitz
How's your fretting hand technique? If you don't play properly, yes, those necks can feel really clunky. However, if you play with your thumb as an anchor and your fingers parallel to the frets, one finger per fret, they're fantastic.

This. And then some. And don't give me that "my hands too small" because I can play a MIA P Bass and love that neck and tone.

The Deluxe Active P Bass is a good option though, but the sound is only about 90% there to my ears to a true Precision bass. Maybe I'm being too picky.

And Miss G you are now hereby declared the official photographer of the Bass Forum. Damn girl--your photos fuel quite a bit of GAS around here.
^^^ It already has a jazz neck!? Well thats over £50 off.
I can't stand gold coloured things, so evewn if I hadn't seen it in a photo and it was just written down I would still say its horrible, I'll probably get the bass in black and put a red shiny (you know the kind I mean) pickguard on it.

I must say, despite the pick guard, that bass does look rather tashty.
My fretting style is very bad. I'm self taught so I have a shitload of bad habits, the worst being that while the neck is at a 45 degree angle from the ground I hold my hand horizontal to thje ground (sounds weird but it works for me) and I have my thumb resting on the top of the neck as an anchor which is why the bulky neck is a problem.
how much for Precision pickguards? though if you sell the precision neck afterwards, you can get away with paying less on the neck. some do like Anthony Jackson, get a P neck for the J body. anyone else remember old Career Girl?
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

the P special and the aerodyne jazz both have jazz necks and a P pup
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
ok while your there, buy Hal Leonard's Bass Methods Book, and teach yourself some bass
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Quote by the humanity
the holes don't correlate. and the aerodyne would be much easier, and about the same price if he's buying real pickups.

true. i was about to say that.
Quote by metalcore123

I'm bringing farts back!
Quote by anarkee
This. And then some. And don't give me that "my hands too small" because I can play a MIA P Bass and love that neck and tone.

The Deluxe Active P Bass is a good option though, but the sound is only about 90% there to my ears to a true Precision bass. Maybe I'm being too picky.

And Miss G you are now hereby declared the official photographer of the Bass Forum. Damn girl--your photos fuel quite a bit of GAS around here.

I thought the pickguard was ugly, I still do but it has grown on me. I'm lazy so I haven't bought a new one yet. The ONLY place I've found that makes a pickguard that is a perfect fit is here http://www.pickguardheaven.com/ its pattern number 13054

The jazz neck is comfy, its more trebly than a regular P bass so I put some flats on it and it really thumps.
Quote by the humanity

I would suggest this as well.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
I'm tempted to just get a Mexican Standard P as my Effects Box has a pretty good EQ on it.
That'd cut my budget by about £150.

PS: There aren't any basses that can imitate Ps are there?
Does the standard MIM P have the option of a maple neck? Cause if so I'm gonna get me a black with maple and a black pickguard. But I expect I'll have to get a hwy1 or something to get the maple option.

Oh scrap that, looks like the Deluxe P has the option I forgot MissG's lovely P had a maple neck.
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206
Last edited by Rywad at Sep 14, 2008,
Quote by Rywad
Does the standard MIM P have the option of a maple neck? Cause if so I'm gonna get me a black with maple and a black pickguard. But I expect I'll have to get a hwy1 or something to get the maple option.

Oh scrap that, looks like the Deluxe P has the option I forgot MissG's lovely P had a maple neck.
Unfortunately no, it the Standard MIM P dosen't have a maple neck. The cheapest maple neck p fender makes is the Deluxe Active like Miss G has or the MIM 50's Precision bass.

EDIT: Even Highway Ones don't have the maple neck as an option. I'd kill for a highway one precsion bass in a 3-tone sunburst finish with a maple neck. The mods I'd put on it would be the bridge and covers.(a.k.a. ashtrays) With the faded finsh on the Highway 1's it would look like a vintage P.
Fender FSR Standard Jazz Bass(Sapphire Blue finish!!)
Squier VM TB Bass
Squier Precision Bass(heavily modified)
Behringer 180 Watt Combo<--My EQ pedal made this sound decent O_o until I get my Gallien-Krueger half stack
Last edited by FenderAmpeg93 at Sep 14, 2008,
Quote by Ippon
Interesting! I'm doing the opposite ... installing a PBass neck on my JBass.

you guys should work together and ship each other your necks.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Buy a Fender Mexican P bass, get a Warmoth jazz neck, slap it on. Warmoth necks are nice and smooth, very thin, very comfy, and they'll take care of that nasty mexican fret buzz.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
Quote by the humanity
you guys should work together and ship each other your necks.

Seriously, that not a bad idea
Quote by C0_0kie

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Quote by fleajr_1412

I've got a Squier version of this. Yes its really worth it, I love the sounds you can get on this thing, but I've played the Fender one, that's your best bet, the squier doesnt last long. IF you do get the squier think about a replacment then.