Alright, I'm teaching someone down the road from me, and his only influence is McFly... (He's 10 give him a break...). He hasn't had any lessons before, so what would be a good song to teach him some major chord changes, and maybe a little lead thing?
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
don't know about mcfly.... umm that.. radio song or whatever is it called?
Quote by Moggan13
Serjem is like a Bishops testicals: Swollen
ಠ_ಠ
IIIIfb * KARKOLI * ytIIII(mostly rock... a little funky, a little hard just the way you want it )
non excistant :p

cant you teach him some actually decent pop punk instead?
like blink 182, good songs and very beginner orientated
like dammit, little lead part and 4 power chords
Quote by pag_slash_2
McFly?
Teach him something good. Whenever he mentions McFly just turn your amps up.

I could see that working well

I remember first learning guitar like 8 years ago and learning nirvana and green day thinking it was amazing! I was also 10 and didn't know better
Why can't people like McFly? Believe it or not people, not everyone likes rock music!

SHOCK GASP HORROR!

Why not 5 Colours In Her Hair, that's a song that would give him some elements of surf and things aswell.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by Lil Macker
Why can't people like McFly? Believe it or not people, not everyone likes rock music!

SHOCK GASP HORROR!

Why not 5 Colours In Her Hair, that's a song that would give him some elements of surf and things aswell.

You can't teach him that, it sounds too much like gay bar by electric 6! wouldn't want to be giving an impressionable 10 year old ideas now would we?
Quote by EatShreddies
You can't teach him that, it sounds too much like gay bar by electric 6! wouldn't want to be giving an impressionable 10 year old ideas now would we?

That makes it even cooler!!

TEACH HIM IT! NOOOWW!
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by Hereiwas
Alright, I'm teaching someone down the road from me, and his only influence is McFly... (He's 10 give him a break...). He hasn't had any lessons before, so what would be a good song to teach him some major chord changes, and maybe a little lead thing?

All About You is the obvious one, it's not too fast and has an easy strumming pattern to pick up.

Y'know, for what they are McFly aren't all that bad, they're a cheesy pop band but at least they can play their instruments. If they're going to inspire a 10 year old kid to pick up a guitar then that's fine by me...it's more than I've ever done.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
"mcfly? hace you heard of paul gilbert?"

*puts on paul gilbert*

*kid dies*

no but seriously just teach him powerchords(easy as hell) then make up a little pentatonic lick he can practice on.
Marty McFly?

Guitars
- Schecter Tempest
- Epi LP Custom
- Ovation Acoustic
- BC Rich Dagger
Quote by suprfly

Amps & Effects
- B-52 AT-100
- Girlfriend (doubles as a Tube Screamer)
- Steve Vai Bad horsie 2

Quote by MightyAl
This strength is built and maintained by masturbation.
Quote by steven seagull
All About You is the obvious one, it's not too fast and has an easy strumming pattern to pick up.

Y'know, for what they are McFly aren't all that bad, they're a cheesy pop band but at least they can play their instruments. If they're going to inspire a 10 year old kid to pick up a guitar then that's fine by me...it's more than I've ever done.

+1, it's better liking mcfly than, say, britney.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Firstly, to some of the people in this thread: Sod you, McFly are feckin' awesome. And that's coming from someone who also has all of Bob Dylan's albums and everything Eric Clapton and BB King have ever done, so don't tell me I don't know good song writing or good guitar playing.

And second, back on topic...

I'd say most of their earlier songs. Their last few releases (especially their latest album) can get surprisingly tricky.

5 Colours is definitely a good one to start on, nice little lead riff and the rest can be covered with a mix of open chords and power chords. After that, Obviously and All About You are two more simple songs with common progressions. If he gets those three down, he should then be comfortable enough with most basic chords that he could start at least learning the rhythm parts of most of the other songs. There aren't many McFly songs that really bridge the gap between 'dull chord rhythm' and 'screaming lead solos', but then I wouldn't expect any 10 year old beginner to be able to play McFly's solos for at least a couple of years. Ever heard one of Danny's improvised blues solos? The guy can really play - if I recall correctly, Danny's been playing guitar for almost 13 years. It's going to be a long time before he can get up to his level, I wouldn't worry too much about anything more than the basics for now.

The main things to get down are:
- All the most common chords, open, barre and the different power chord shapes.
- Learning the notes on the neck
- A couple of basic scales (major scale and minor blues is what I'd suggest if he really is a total newbie, since with those two you can come up with something to fit nearly any song in the charts)
- Basic technique, like slides, one step bends, hammer-ons, natural harmonics, playing both with a pick and with fingers, learning to make use of the volume/tone/pickup controls, and working with a capo (McFly use capos quite often). I wouldn't worry too much about things like heavy metal squealing pinch harmonics and long hammer/pull-off runs and such though.
- Make sure he gets everything right properly and cleanly before moving on to the next thing. It's tempting when you're a better player going over the basics with someone to rush though once they seem to have got it - don't. Take the time to make sure he's playing everything properly before moving on.
- The most important thing, especially with a kid his age, is going to be keeping it enjoyable and be as encouraging as you can. It's easy for anyone to give up on guitar in the first few months, let alone a 10 year old. Keep everything fun and constructive, being some kind of guitar drill sergeant isn't going to help him.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Teach him a song by Chuck Berry. I believe that's what Marty McFly was playing in Back to the Future 1. Probably pretty hard lol.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
I'd say Do Ya,Smile,Obviously,All About You,That Girl,Surfer Babe are rather easy to play.
The list could go on and on,but remember that all of the songs I mentioned(except for Smile and Do Ya)need to have capo at 1st fret.
By the way,Danny plays since he was 6,so that makes 18 years of guitar playing I think.And yes,he IS VERY good and I don't care what you say.
Last edited by Lucas Townshend at Sep 16, 2008,
Funny thing is i started guitar 6 years ago. First thing i learnt was the opening riff to Sweet Child O' Mine, and it was in time. I look back now and think what my teacher must of thought when i was asking for that for my first beginner song, he must of thought i was a clueless twat.
falling in love would b a good choice if he's doin acoustic....its easy and not too fast and its got an easy strumming pattern.
or
if he's doing electric try that girl or 5 colors in her hair. both good