Hey guys, I just got an Ibanez RG3EX1 (Honey Sunburst) and I want to make some changes. First of all I am planing on switching out the "designed by EMG" pickups with a set of DiMarzio DP 220 and 219 D-Activator pickups. But being this is my first time replacing pickups I don't know if I should get regular or F-Spaced ones. The other thing I want to do is replace the stock knob setup of 1 volume and 1 tone, making it a 2 volume (each pickup with their own) set up with push pull setup for coil taping. Does Anyone have experience with this?
Well i dont know if this will help, but Ibanez has the wiring diagrams for their guitars listed on the website. No idea if this helped but just thought i would tell you

I am assuming (i have no experience with this) that you have to replace the tone pot with a volume pot, and wire the pickups individually to each pot.
Quote by mikeyElite
here's your wiring diagram

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=2h_2v_3w_2pp

and you're going to want regular pickups for that guitar since its a hardtail.

That is a good diagram but there is a small problem. The color wires on the dimarzios will not match the colors on the seymour diagram. Read the manual for your dimarzio pickups to see which is the hot and which wires are the coil splitters.
And deffinately regular spaced. F spaced pickups are only for guitars with vibratos.
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
All Ibanez RG's use F-spaced pickups in both positions....string spacing over the poles is 51.5mm.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Would the DiMarzio 500k push-pull pot for $14 be one I can use to replace the current volume and tone pots? And is it F spacing or regular? So far I have one person telling me regular and one person telling me F.
Quote by DaisXiled
And is it F spacing or regular? So far I have one person telling me regular and one person telling me F.

im probably wrong, i'd trust steven over myself.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Quote by DaisXiled
Would the DiMarzio 500k push-pull pot for $14 be one I can use to replace the current volume and tone pots? And is it F spacing or regular? So far I have one person telling me regular and one person telling me F.

Measure the string spacing for yourself, over the pickup poles...48mm is standard, 51.5mm is F.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by ValoRhoads
That is a good diagram but there is a small problem. The color wires on the dimarzios will not match the colors on the seymour diagram. Read the manual for your dimarzio pickups to see which is the hot and which wires are the coil splitters.
And deffinately regular spaced. F spaced pickups are only for guitars with vibratos.

I believe Seymour Duncan has a color code diagram on their website.

If not, guitar electronics does.
I can't measure the spacing from the poles because the pickups are designe by EMG's so there aren't any visable poles to measure from.
Don't pay $14 for a push pull pot. You should be able to get one for less than half of that.
why dont you get push-push pots instead easier to use onstage.
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33