Just keep using instrument cables, that's what I use in my stack and they work great? Get gold ones if you really feel like you're losing something?
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
Quote by herestolife1000
i really need to get a speaker cable for my stack, i've been using instrument cables and i just don't want anything to happen

i also have a best buy giftcard, and it's such a low amount i can't use it on anything, so

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8565652&type=product&id=1208561582796

is that a speaker cable or guitar cable?

That's an instrument cable.

Regardless of what anyone says, do NOT use instrument cable for speakers. Instrument cables were designed for high impedance, low level signals that are highly susceptible to electromagnetic interference. They were NOT designed for low impedance, high current signals like the output from an amplifier.

Seriously, unless you're running a high powered amp through a really long cable then you're not likely to hurt your amp by using instrument cables. However, the capacitance and series resistance of an instrument cable are much too high for the output of an amp. The output from the speakers is going to sound weaker and the highs are going to be more muted than if you used proper speaker cables.

If you can't afford a decent speaker cable then cut the ends off an old AC extension cord and solder a 1/4" jacks on the end. It will work and sound a LOT better than using a coaxial instrument cable.
At low volume a guitar cable will work. And at high volume a guitar cable will work for a little bit then there will be a sudden drop in sound and if a tube amp probably fry the amp. If you can afford a stack amp you can afford 10 bucks for a proper speaker cable.
Quote by amp_surgeon
That's an instrument cable.

Regardless of what anyone says, do NOT use instrument cable for speakers. Instrument cables were designed for high impedance, low level signals that are highly susceptible to electromagnetic interference. They were NOT designed for low impedance, high current signals like the output from an amplifier.

Seriously, unless you're running a high powered amp through a really long cable then you're not likely to hurt your amp by using instrument cables. However, the capacitance and series resistance of an instrument cable are much too high for the output of an amp. The output from the speakers is going to sound weaker and the highs are going to be more muted than if you used proper speaker cables.

If you can't afford a decent speaker cable then cut the ends off an old AC extension cord and solder a 1/4" jacks on the end. It will work and sound a LOT better than using a coaxial instrument cable.

+1 to all of that.

You'll be surprised when you hear the difference using a proper speaker cable has.
Quote by Nolly
+1 to all of that.

You'll be surprised when you hear the difference using a proper speaker cable has.

Ignore my first post lol!

I gotta get my hands on a speaker cable now.
Quote by sargasm
Quote by `digitaL.braVo

If you use a solid state amp, it doesn't matter quite as much in terms of safety, but failure in a cable connecting the speaker and amp in a tube amp, it causes impedance mismatches and can fry your entire output stage.
Yeah it's solid state... and a 3' speaker cable is only $12 so I am thinking it's worth it?
Quote by sargasm
Quote by `digitaL.braVo

Do, you won't regret it.

While we're at it, the idea that gold-plated contacts improve signal transmission is a complete myth.
I never believed it. Only to the extent that if you are a serious audiophile you may notice. But in a "real life" situation with drums banging and a circle pit.

No. One. Cares.
Quote by sargasm
Quote by `digitaL.braVo
I never believed it. Only to the extent that if you are a serious audiophile you may notice. But in a "real life" situation with drums banging and a circle pit.

No. One. Cares.

Well, even in theory it doesn't offer any advantage. What it can do is prevent oxidisation, but if you take care of your cables that's hardly a problem.
Yeah I feel very sorry to the guys who actually listened to the people who advertised gold cables as being higher audio quality.

Nice Diezel by the way. I gotta go wipe my mouth off...
Quote by sargasm