Hey guys,
So, I have been thinking about becoming a guitar tech, it seems fun and useful. But do any of you guys know where to start? I can already do basic stuff like change strings ect.... but is there a tech guide or book somewhere? What exactly would be the basic stuff I need to know?

Thanks,
ReChord
google possibly??

umm basically how to fix any problems with the guitar, for example if the guitars not giving out any signal, why??
getting the best tone out of a guitar i spose?

its mainly down to fixing problems with the guitar i would think?
perhaps theres a guitar tech on here somewhere though lol

hope ^ helps
Happy birthday Slash
Quote by Shred-Hed
What do you think the odds are that he'll read this...?

Quote by TJ1991
A lot higher than Chinese Democracy ever being released.
Pretty much you need to know every aspect of a guitar including wiring and such and how to change strings fast and know how to fix every little problem that could go wrong. Also you'll need to know everything there is to know about amps.

Basically you have to be a guitar and amp guru i suppose.
How to set-up intonation, action, pick-up hight, clean the guitar including fretboard, take care of the electrics and pick-ups. Also be comfortable setting up locking vibratos...

Origionaly Posted by CTFOD
Origionaly Posted by hownowbrowncow:
Get a new bicycle
Then you can ride it with no handlebars.

No handlebars.

No handlebars...
I would just learn all you can about fixing the guitar, getting good tone, etc. Then ask local bands if they need a guitar tech and kind of gain some work experince from that.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
your best bet would be an apprenticeship with an experienced tech.
and of course dont stop learning the instrument, a great player understands what a great player needs out of a guitar.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
haha my guitar teacher's teaching me some good skills, so i can work on my friends gear, who have no idea how to fix any problems at all. a few don't even know how to correctly restring :P
if you have a guitar teach or know someone experienced with guitars, ask them
if they don't do their own stuff, ask who does.
I can't stand watching people waste their money on horrible gear.
if you wanna become a guitar tech changing strings should be the last thing you are worrying about knowing... lol

but some kind of college classes would be very beneficial, such as a physics two course. this will give you the basics on circuits and how to learn about resistors and capacitors and what changes the circuits (such as parallel or series) also gives you can give you a good understand on why things are grounded and the uses behind it... And things such as why do different values of a capacitor allow more or less treble signals through, and similarly resistors with bass.

also some good wood working skills would be desirable. For instance if someone wants new tuners and needs to drill out the correct holes, or at least being able to fix minor problems.

Buddy of mine got a killswitch added to his esp, which of course your going to need to drill the hole and know how to wire the thing. And of course your going to need to learn about setting up different guitars, fixed and floating trems, bigsby's etc...
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Read Robert Pirsig's Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. It has nothing to do with guitars, but neither does it say a lot about motorcycles or Zen for that matter. All the above handles skills and knowledge, which are important, but Pirsig points out how to get into the right state of mind, which is even more essential. With the right attitude, within a few days you'll be a better guitartech than a lot of those self proclaimed professionals working at guitar shops. They fail not because of lack of skills, but because they're only interested in what they're doing when pushing the buttons on the cash register.

Another tip I can give you; start working on crap guitars. Worn out Sonjjings. Staggs and Vintages are ideal for learning. Their cheapness keeps the costs of failure down, and you don't have to wait 50 years for something to break down on them. Out of the package they're so badly set up that you can start virtually from scratch to make them playable, which is exactly what a beginning guitartech needs.

And most importantly:
Have a lot of fun
Last edited by Marcel Veltman at Sep 14, 2008,