So i've been trying tapping on my bass guitar but every time i tap i get this weird out of tune sound. How can i not get this sound?
My Gear
  • Squier Jazz Bass
  • Ibanez Gio GAX Bass
  • Yamaha F-130 Acoustic Guitar
  • Epiphone SG special edition Guitar
  • Traynor Bass Mate 25
  • Boss ME-20B
  • Boss OBD-3
You have to play amplified. This is because the string can vibrate both in front and behind where you are tapping. The amplification makes sure only one gets amplified, though you may just about hear the other one's acoustic sound.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Your intonation is probably off if you're playing through an amp.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster
Your intonation is probably off if you're playing through an amp.

Nope. I am right. If your bass is set up properly with a slight neck curve, tapping produces a note either side of the fret you tap down on.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
Nope. I am right. If your bass is set up properly with a slight neck curve, tapping produces a note either side of the fret you tap down on.

Yes, I'm aware of that. If you're playing unplugged, as I said before. It gives off a doubletone, which is obvious to anyone who's played a bass and tried to tap on it. IF, hes playing THROUGH AN AMP, like I also said and you failed to see, and the issue is still presenting itself, he's probably comparing it to the lower octave note of the same name and finding it off, or that it doesn't match the progression as it should above X fret. This is due to INTONATION being improperly set or the truss rod needing adjustment.

So you can walk around and proclaim "I"M RIGHT, I'M RIGHT!!!" all day long, but you're only evaluating one side of the possible issue.

And you're also arrogant. You're not here to be right so you can inflate your ego - you're here to help someone who may be less experienced fix a problem they've come in search of helping for.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster
Yes, I'm aware of that. If you're playing unplugged, as I said before. It gives off a doubletone, which is obvious to anyone who's played a bass and tried to tap on it. IF, hes playing THROUGH AN AMP, like I also said and you failed to see, and the issue is still presenting itself, he's probably comparing it to the lower octave note of the same name and finding it off, or that it doesn't match the progression as it should above X fret. This is due to INTONATION being improperly set or the truss rod needing adjustment.

So you can walk around and proclaim "I"M RIGHT, I'M RIGHT!!!" all day long, but you're only evaluating one side of the possible issue.

And you're also arrogant. You're not here to be right so you can inflate your ego - you're here to help someone who may be less experienced fix a problem they've come in search of helping for.

Watchingmefall has exactly my point. If it were intonation, it would happen all the time. And most of the time, intonation inaccuracies are very subtle errors, which are easy to go unnoticed until you start playing with others, or if you have a very good sense of pitch.

Now, he said this happens when he taps only, so intonation cannot be the problem. It has to be the double tone, as you called it. If it were intonation, he would have picked up on it during regular playing.

Please think before flaming next time. I do tend to think through my responses, rather than just blurting out any solution that may match the problem, in this case, you shouting out intonation due to it being out of tune.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
gm jack knows everything
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything

+1
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
well plugging it in works, i just never thought it would make a difference

thanks
My Gear
  • Squier Jazz Bass
  • Ibanez Gio GAX Bass
  • Yamaha F-130 Acoustic Guitar
  • Epiphone SG special edition Guitar
  • Traynor Bass Mate 25
  • Boss ME-20B
  • Boss OBD-3
I practice unplugged loads.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything

Except how to speak to other people.

The way he talks, he'd better be touring with a successful band and be named Victor Wooten.

And for the record, watchingmefall did what BOTH of us should have done - asked a follow up question. Then it would have been clear. At the point my suggestion was made, that specific detail, which is a little more than kinda important, hadn't been pointed out yet.

Additionally - I wasn't flaming. I was pointing out that you were talking like your virtuosic skill gave you right to be arrogant.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
GM Jack is right here, about everything, you flamed him, admit to and we can all move on.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Before this goes any further, this is closed. And strat0blaster, you may want to think through your knee jerk reactions before posting btw...