well, ive been playing guitar for about 5 years and i love it. but more and more ive been wanting to play bass. i started playing bass about a year and a half to two years ago on and off, whenever i was in the mood. now that im more into bass ive been wanting to get one for myself. right now im spoiled and am playing this my dads vintage gibson eb3. i wouldnt say im a noob at bass, im actually decent. what is the best bass in my price range which is 200-300$ i would also like a bass amp because i dont have one.

suggestions?

edit: i would play death metal and blues so versitility would be good. 5 string suggestions would be best
Last edited by necroscience13 at Sep 13, 2008,
hmmm. save up a little more- only like 350, bass and amp- and get the stuff in my sig. it's clear, it's wonderful, it plays well, it looks good- and most importantly, it sounds good.
I know you have a cord, do you need a gig bag? that one's a little expensive, but it's really good.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
As good as you may think your stuff is, humanity, others may not have the same sentiment. In that light TS, make sure you try anything and everything out. And there's no need to go OTT on an amp if you're just going to be a "bedroom player" for now. If that is the case, then you really don't need much over 50 watts, which won't burn a hole in your pocket.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
As good as you may think your stuff is, humanity, others may not have the same sentiment. In that light TS, make sure you try anything and everything out. And there's no need to go OTT on an amp if you're just going to be a "bedroom player" for now. If that is the case, then you really don't need much over 50 watts, which won't burn a hole in your pocket.
true i would only need a practice amp
Well, if it is just going to be a practice amp at a small wattage, I really can't tell much difference between different amps at say... 20 watts or so. I'm not going to lie to you- they don't sound great. I started with a Kustom KBA10 (I believe Anarkee has one as well) and while it's an acceptable and passable practice amp, you aren't going to blow away stadium audiences :p But why bother getting a 1000 watt tube amp if all you need is a practice amp? It's like breaking a nut open with a sledgehammer
You'll like this better:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Affinity-Active-5-String-Jazz-Bass-V?sku=512618

Find one with a nice straight neck and you'll be all set. Very versatile, excellent tone.
I love my...

Parker Nitefly Mojo - custom
Schecter 006 Hellraiser
Ibanez S470QS

Mesa / Boogie F-50
Vox AD50VT

Seagull Artist Studio cutaway I-beam

Ibanez ATK700
Ibanez Soundwave 35
Quote by tasty licks
You'll like this better:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Affinity-Active-5-String-Jazz-Bass-V?sku=512618

Find one with a nice straight neck and you'll be all set. Very versatile, excellent tone.

i am keen on getting the one you just showed me or the one i posted earlier. what about an amp? i wont need anything big at all, just a practice amp really. im guessing less then 50 watts should do it. suggestions?
I play that squier 4 string, but i also used the 5 string model in the store and i really liked it.

I would suggest the active one as the guy before me did, because it has a much nicer sound.
Quote by necroscience13
i am keen on getting the one you just showed me or the one i posted earlier. what about an amp? i wont need anything big at all, just a practice amp really. im guessing less then 50 watts should do it. suggestions?

Well, considering that is $300, you aren't leaving much for an amp.

For $140 you could get this - http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Nemesis-N8-40W-1x8-Bass-Combo-Amp?sku=488215

Fantastic little amp with Eden speakers. 40W, and I bet it'll sound better than most other practice amps at your price range too.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Deliriumbassist

if I could, I'd put the whole FAQ in my sig.
indeed, he should try everything out. I know someone will say that though.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Both of the squiers suggested would be good. Neither of them have bad wood, (a problem with many lower end basses), meaning that they'd be worth upgrading someday (it's been said a million times, but you can change pickups, electronics, hardware, etc, but you can't change tonewoods). Squire pickups (or those on virtually any entry-level basses) aren't very good, but if you're not even playing bass in a band yet, that won't be a problem. But above all, go to a music store and play EVERYTHING. Especiall because, if you've been playing guitar for 5 years, you will probably have a pretty good idea of how you like your guitars, and a lot of that can be applied to bass.
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.