well, i play classic rock and blues and atm i have a jackson dinky dkmg. not the right guitar for me lol so i'm after a new one. i'm feeling a fender strat but i could lean towards something else. i went to guitar center today to look at what they had and play them a bit. they had three used ones i liked a bit im pretty sure the tags werent very accurate on which guitar they were. all of them were used but in 'like new' condition

~first one was an american hss strat. the tone was very clean with little background noise and was pretty nice. visual it looked good (a gold sort of color) and it played decently however i found it the neck to feel a bit odd and the body felt a bit odd as well but this could just be because i'm not used to playing a strat. price was $900 US(could probobly get it dropped about a hundred or so dollars)

~second one was a deluxe american strat. the tone sounded kind of vintage and both me and my dad thought the tone was excellent however neither of us are experts when it comes to knowing good tone. the playability was decent but slightly odd still, just less than with the hss strat. visually it looked sexy as a mofo. was like a tobacco burst or a sun burst type thing. dunno what exacty color it was but it was hot. price was $1079 us at lowest. i doubt i could get it any lower

~third one was an american fender classic (50s i believe). the tone was kind of twangy i would say. the was a lot of background noise and the tone didn't blow me away. the playability was decent and felt very similar to the deluxe strat. it looked ok with like a baby blue sort of color. this one wasn't all that amazing but it was the cheapest. price was $799 us and could most likely be dropped about a hundred or so.

in my bank account i have around $1100 and i'm in highschool so i don't need to pay bills or anything however i don't have a job currently so i have no way to replenish my money. i will be getting around $400 for the jackson so i will get an extra 400 off what ever guitar i pick basicly (if you want to buy it and live around the northern virginia area, give me a pm with any questions).

any suggestions for other guitars or which strat you think i should pick?
Last edited by madshatter at Sep 13, 2008,
Well, you don't seem to like the feel of a strat. Did you prefer your Jackson? And what kind of tone are you looking for?
You may not be an expert, as you said, but if you like it, that's all that really matters.

For Hendrix-type stuff, a strat would be the obvious choice, but there are a bunch of good guitars for blues rock. Is there a specific sound you had in mind?

If you're used to the feel of a Jackson, try the DK2
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jackson-DK2-Dinky-Electric-Guitar?sku=511668

With its HSS setup, it can do most anything. The Duncan singlecoils should be good for blues, and you've always got the humbucker in case you wanna let rip
Last edited by sashki at Sep 13, 2008,
I've got the '07 American HSS strat and I love it. It's a really versitile guitar. As for the feel I can't really say because I've always played strats, so it feels like it was made for me. I'm sure it'd grow on you after a couple hours of hard playing.
I play a lot of different kinds of music and this guitar can be set up for all of them with just a couple tweaks. Switching between the humbucker pickup and the single coils is almost like switching from a les paul to a standard strat, it's pretty awesome
highly recommended
Quote by sashki
Well, you don't seem to like the feel of a strat. Did you prefer your Jackson? And what kind of tone are you looking for?
You may not be an expert, as you said, but if you like it, that's all that really matters.

For Hendrix-type stuff, a strat would be the obvious choice, but there are a bunch of good guitars for blues rock. Is there a specific sound you had in mind?

anything with a rich, almost vintage type bluesly tone. i have a vox ad30vt amp which is a good amp imo... just not a tube... tone is very hard to describe so i honestly dunno what type of tone i want but as said, anything that will be sort of vintage and bluesy. something for small amounts of gain or completely clean.

Quote by Hawkwing_21
I've got the '07 American HSS strat and I love it. It's a really versitile guitar. As for the feel I can't really say because I've always played strats, so it feels like it was made for me. I'm sure it'd grow on you after a couple hours of hard playing.
I play a lot of different kinds of music and this guitar can be set up for all of them with just a couple tweaks. Switching between the humbucker pickup and the single coils is almost like switching from a les paul to a standard strat, it's pretty awesome
highly recommended

i don't like the tone of jackson for the type of music i play. my friend has a dk2 and it is an excellent guitar. top of the line pretty much however it is more of a metal guitar. also they look a bit odd for the type of music i play. if i get up on stage some day with a "hardcore" looking jackson, and start finger picking some clean-toned stuff, i would look a bit odd lol.
Last edited by madshatter at Sep 13, 2008,
72 RI American Deluxe Telecaster.

The only tele I've played that I liked. (not including the neck cause i dislike anything non shortsale :P)

My friend plays it through some random fender solid state, and it sounds ****ing amazing for what he plays (blues rock, Classic rock, hard rock, pop punk, reggae, ska)

It goes for 1000$ new in Montreal....I'm sure it'd be cheaper in the states and it is....a ****load cheaper

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-72-Telecaster-Deluxe-Electric-Guitar?sku=511141

the only thing bad about this guitar is the pickup switch.

but it's a really good guitar for the price.

EDIT : Get it in that sexy mahogany w/ black PG
Quote by Swap-Meet
72 RI American Deluxe Telecaster.

The only tele I've played that I liked. (not including the neck cause i dislike anything non shortsale :P)

My friend plays it through some random fender solid state, and it sounds ****ing amazing for what he plays (blues rock, Classic rock, hard rock, pop punk, reggae, ska)

It goes for 1000$ new in Montreal....I'm sure it'd be cheaper in the states and it is....a ****load cheaper

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-72-Telecaster-Deluxe-Electric-Guitar?sku=511141

the only thing bad about this guitar is the pickup switch.

but it's a really good guitar for the price.

EDIT : Get it in that sexy mahogany w/ black PG

i dislike the feel of a telecaster. i played one at gc today and the tone wasn't anything amazing either.
Quote by madshatter

i don't like the tone of jackson for the type of music i play. my friend has a dk2 and it is an excellent guitar. top of the line pretty much however it is more of a metal guitar. also they look a bit odd for the type of music i play. if i get up on stage some day with a "hardcore" looking jackson, and start finger picking some clean-toned stuff, i would look a bit odd lol.

who cares about looks?
just get the guitar you like most....I get up on stage with a JAgmaster, people probably think I'm some ****ing indie kid....until they hear the raw punk sound that my sexy Jag is capable of
Quote by madshatter
i dislike the feel of a telecaster. i played one at gc today and the tone wasn't anything amazing either.

This one looks and feels different. I tried it. It's rather unusual, but it's great. Even though it's intended for blues, I find it's more of an indie/punk rock guitar.
Quote by madshatter

did you play the American Deluxe?

if not, oh well...it was worth a try.....but if you don't like strats or tele's, if you really wanna stick with fender....check out a jazzmaster maybe....mustang & jags MAY be capable of getting a bluesy feel, but not like a Strat or Tele can.

maybe you should check out some Epi / gibsons?
Quote by sashki
This one looks and feels different. I tried it. It's rather unusual, but it's great. Even though it's intended for blues, I find it's more of an indie/punk rock guitar.

it does feel & sound different... I don't find it as twangy as most Tele's...probably cause instead of Single coils, it's got Humbuckers.... It's got a really smooth / warm tone... I think the TS should atleast give it a try... the friend I know who has it really wanted a Strat before he got the tele, but then played the tele and hasn't looked back for the past 4-5 years. He actually just told me like a week ago that he doubts he'll ever get another guitar, cause nothing can compare to what he has for his style of play.
Hmm...When I tried the '72 tele (through a marshall 30th anniversary combo), I wouldn't really say it's smooth and warm...it was certainly less twangy than a typical tele. I'd say the tone was more airy and less dense on the neck pickup. The bridge pickup was pretty tight, fatter than the average tele.
Quote by sashki
Hmm...When I tried the '72 tele (through a marshall 30th anniversary combo), I wouldn't really say it's smooth and warm...it was certainly less twangy than a typical tele. I'd say the tone was more airy and less dense on the neck pickup. The bridge pickup was pretty tight, fatter than the average tele.

Deluxe or thinline
what i'm gonna do is talk to my guitar teacher tomorrow, see what he recomends, then go to school on monday and talk to my guitar playing friends and see what they think.
We can all suggest you stuff, but first hand experience is always best.

That said, next time you go the music store, try the first guitar you see with P-90 pickups. I kinda forgot about them, but they kick ass for blues and rock.

Jackson Dk2
Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
SCHECTER JEFF LOOMIS C7 FR
Quote by madshatter
what i'm gonna do is talk to my guitar teacher tomorrow, see what he recomends, then go to school on monday and talk to my guitar playing friends and see what they think.

they'll more than likely suggest a strat or tele as well, but good luck in getting something you really like....for 1,000$+ you should find something that you will never get tired of.
Discover Metal - Problem solved.
Quote by Brunnis Jetrel, Eve-Search Forums
oh the good old days of launching strawberries at point blank range into people's faces with a ballista... brings back mammaries

Quote by SkyValley
Kick your OWN ass before he has a chance to get to it.

Clicky --->
well Im not 100% sure on the tone ur going for but with the Standard HSS I play a lot of Stevie Ray, and it pulls it off incredibly well. So if your looking for that kind of blues at least go back down to the music store and give it another try.