Not long ago I joined a band as the lead guitarist. It is going really well and our songs are sounding awsome, but now I am faced with a challenge. We are working on playing Reel Big Fish's cover of Take on Me, and the solo is incredibly fast. I ALWAYS use a pick which doesn't help me when trying to tackle this problem, does anyone have any suggestions on how to play fast?
Quote by Damon.
Not long ago I joined a band as the lead guitarist. It is going really well and our songs are sounding awsome, but now I am faced with a challenge. We are working on playing Reel Big Fish's cover of Take on Me, and the solo is incredibly fast. I ALWAYS use a pick which doesn't help me when trying to tackle this problem, does anyone have any suggestions on how to play fast?

Same as everyone else: take it slow at first, use a metronome, speed up gradually and don't speed up until you can play it perfectly at the tempo you're at.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
the secret to speed is starting out extremely slow, until you can hit EVERY SINGLE note going slow you dont speed it up, gradually speed it up, and chances are there using a pick in the song.
Yeah. Slow, accurate practice with a metronome is the best way. If you rush it you'll just end up playing it sloppy, which pretty much defeats the purpous.

Sorry, there's no shortcuts. You've just gotta develop.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Same as everyone else: take it slow at first, use a metronome, speed up gradually and don't speed up until you can play it perfectly at the tempo you're at.

Exactly what he said. If you start off slow, you have a really good chance of getting it right. And then when you ace it at the pace you are at, speed up the tempo a bit, and then when you ace that, increase again until you get to full speed.

I use Audacity to increase/decrease tempo.
<|ĐÞŞ|>
Dead Puppy Society
=When the going gets tough, the tough get going=
Quote by SunDrop
the secret to speed is starting out extremely slow, until you can hit EVERY SINGLE note going slow you dont speed it up, gradually speed it up, and chances are there using a pick in the song.

Using this method the other night, I learned Poison Was the Cure. By the time I got to 75% speed, my hand was throbbing.
You're*
Quote by Survivalism
Using this method the other night, I learned Poison Was the Cure. By the time I got to 75% speed, my hand was throbbing.

You might be trying to push yourself too hard. This method is supposed to take days weeks or even months depending on where you are and where you're trying to get to; the muscle memory has to be built up very carefully.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.