I was trying to explain diminished/augmented chords & scales today, and realized I don't know the right way to write the scales. The sticky says the diminished scale is 1-2-b3-4-b5-b6-6-7-1. That doesn't make a lot of sense though since the diminished chord is written with a bb7. So I was thinking 1-2-b3-4-b5-b6-bb7-7-1. Is that right?

Also, I had the augmented written as 1-2-3-#4-#5-#6-1 (with no 7th), but I've also seen it as 1-2-3-#4-#5-b7-1 as well (without a 6th, matching the '7#5' chord. Is one more correct than another?
Quote by grifff
b7 and #6 are the same thing, they are enharmonic

Same pitch in 12-edo, but not the same thing, really.

Also, I had the augmented written as 1-2-3-#4-#5-#6-1 (with no 7th), but I've also seen it as 1-2-3-#4-#5-b7-1 as well (without a 6th, matching the '7#5' chord. Is one more correct than another?

I would say the #6 would be. Going from 5 to 7 is skipping a scale degree.
So I was thinking 1-2-b3-4-b5-b6-bb7-7-1. Is that right?
Makes sense to me

With these issues, I think it comes down to how you are using the scale. The Augmented scale could (I think) be used to construct augmented sixth chords, so the #6 would be used in that case.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums