As the title says, im thinking of getting a Ricky for christmas While im going to go try one at the local Sam Ash store fairly soon, id like to ask a few questions here first.

For one, i tend to be playing alot of Deathcore (im not particularily fond of the genre, but bands like Winds of Plague and All Shall Perish are huge in my area =P) which consists of alot of HEAVY drop C. And ive been led to believe that a Ricky might sound thin in heavy music, especially drop tuned. Will i be able to make myself audible? and before anyone asks, yes i will be fiddling around with my EQ to try and fix the problem if it occurs. Im just curious if anyone has knowledge or experience with this.

And second, are Rickenbackers flexible tone wise? While i understand they tend to focus on the trebly, punchy side of the bass spectrum, can they be used for multiple genres? I love practically every style of music from jazz, classical, various forms of rock, to various styles of metal and everything between those, and would like to exercise a variety of influences in my playing if i ever get a chance to be a part of a non-hardcore group =p

thanks a bunch in advance! =)
Riks tend to have a higher frequency response that other basses, if your gonna play alot of Deathcore I wouldn't try something else that has a bit more flexible, like a Fender or a Musicman
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
You're getting a rickenbacker for Christmas! rich mofo...anyways you're aware tha ricks cost about $2000USD so there are plenty of other options you could get like a MIA Fender, Warwick, Lakland, high-end Ibanez. A ricks tone is love-or-hate. I personally don't care for the rick's tone. They aren't for everybody like a P bass or J bass is. What kind of amp do you have? That'll be a whole lot of the quality of your tone.
Fender FSR Standard Jazz Bass(Sapphire Blue finish!!)
Squier VM TB Bass
Squier Precision Bass(heavily modified)
Behringer 180 Watt Combo<--My EQ pedal made this sound decent O_o until I get my Gallien-Krueger half stack
Quote by ChemicalFire
Riks tend to have a higher frequency response that other basses, if your gonna play alot of Deathcore I wouldn't try something else that has a bit more flexible, like a Fender or a Musicman

I know, but im not really looking to, for lack of a better phrase, "blend in" like most of those who call themselves bassists in the genre do. Sure i dont want to sound out of place, but i dont want to sound typical, if that makes any sense =p I really love what i hear from the ricky, and i want to add my own spin to my own spin (style/tone) to whatever genre of music i play. And besides, im not really going to be into this music scene for long, its more of a social thing =)

thanks for the input! =)
Listen to the Jam or very early Pink Floyd--that's the classic sound of a Ricky. Rickys sound like no other bass--they're punchy and almost twangy but in a good sense of the word. They're not a versatile bass like a J bass, but they have a great vintage sound. I don't think of Ricks as being heavy sounding basses but they do cut through the mix.
To be honest, I wouldn't recommend a Rick for that kind of music. It doesn't really do too well when it comes to tunings that low.

Also, they definitely aren't for everyone. Despite the fact that I might get flamed for this, I'll go ahead and say it. I had a Rick for about a year, but I had come to find that they weren't my thing.

Also, why does everyone say they are $2000? Vintage Ricks go for $1200-1600 or so on eBay.
Quote by anarkee
Listen to the Jam or very early Pink Floyd--that's the classic sound of a Ricky. Rickys sound like no other bass--they're punchy and almost twangy but in a good sense of the word. They're not a versatile bass like a J bass, but they have a great vintage sound. I don't think of Ricks as being heavy sounding basses but they do cut through the mix.

knights of cydonia is a good example of ric
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
it might as well be 2000. if he can get one by christmas...
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by FenderAmpeg93
You're getting a rickenbacker for Christmas! rich mofo...anyways you're aware tha ricks cost about $2000USD so there are plenty of other options you could get like a MIA Fender, Warwick, Lakland, high-end Ibanez. A ricks tone is love-or-hate. I personally don't care for the rick's tone. They aren't for everybody like a P bass or J bass is. What kind of amp do you have? That'll be a whole lot of the quality of your tone.

haha, my family is very generous and supportive of all my music endeavors, and not lacking in cash haha =) im going to offer to pay a fair portion of it myself, as im not fond of being completely dependent on my family for such things, even though theyre more than happy to do so.

Yeah its not a done deal - im gonna look around and put alot of thought into it. Im just in love with the ricky tone, look, and well everything! Either way, im not completely decided on this. Im gonna head to Sam Ash when i have free time and take a look.

Certainly =)

Cab: Gallien-Krueger Neo 410 800w
head: Gallien-Krueger 1001RB Mark - II

Ill be looking into various effects and gimmicks as i go on, i love bass players like Chris Wolstenholme, Justin Chancellor, and Timmy with their well crafted tones =)
Quote by ele1122
To be honest, I wouldn't recommend a Rick for that kind of music. It doesn't really do too well when it comes to tunings that low.

Also, they definitely aren't for everyone. Despite the fact that I might get flamed for this, I'll go ahead and say it. I had a Rick for about a year, but I had come to find that they weren't my thing.

Also, why does everyone say they are $2000? Vintage Ricks go for $1200-1600 or so on eBay.

The whole "heavy music" thing is very temporary - im in it for the social aspects really, since its a big genre around here. If it comes to it, ill just stick with my Ibanez 5-stringer for shows and such, and use my higher quality bass (whatever it ends up being) for other genres. While i like flexibility, im not necessarily looking for a tone that fits into any genre in particular. Id like to try to make my own style of doing things, and i dig the ricky sound. Doesnt mean ill end up with one, im just here seeking opinions/answers
Quote by CBurtonIsKing
haha, my family is very generous and supportive of all my music endeavors, and not lacking in cash haha =) im going to offer to pay a fair portion of it myself, as im not fond of being completely dependent on my family for such things, even though theyre more than happy to do so.

Yeah its not a done deal - im gonna look around and put alot of thought into it. Im just in love with the ricky tone, look, and well everything! Either way, im not completely decided on this. Im gonna head to Sam Ash when i have free time and take a look.

Certainly =)

Cab: Gallien-Krueger Neo 410 800w
head: Gallien-Krueger 1001RB Mark - II

Ill be looking into various effects and gimmicks as i go on, i love bass players like Chris Wolstenholme, Justin Chancellor, and Timmy with their well crafted tones =)
Wow! You have a very nice rig. Disregard my statement about getting a new amp. A new bass is a better choice. Gallien-Krueger will get you pretty much any tone you want. My parents only give me $80 a month for allowance and I'm only 15 so I can't get a job, so I have to wait till Christams or my Birthday for amps or basses. I spend my allowance on strings, effects, pickups, etc. I love Jazz basses and they're very versatile. I just have a Fender FSR Jazz Bass. It's like a Mexican Standard except with Transluscent Sapphire Blue finish and Ash body. Mexican fenders play very nicely and are a great value-to-money purchase, but since you have $2000 to spend, you could look into 2008 Am. Standards, 2008 Am. Deluxes, or with $2200 you could get a Fender Custom Classic Jazz Bass!

EDIT: sorry for the rant on Jazz Basses. Seriously, just try out a whole lot of basses. Not everybody loves the traditional fender. If you get a Rick make sure you really love the tone because you dont' want to get a $2000 bass and then, in a couple of months, get tired of the tone and want a jazz or precision.
Fender FSR Standard Jazz Bass(Sapphire Blue finish!!)
Squier VM TB Bass
Squier Precision Bass(heavily modified)
Behringer 180 Watt Combo<--My EQ pedal made this sound decent O_o until I get my Gallien-Krueger half stack
Last edited by FenderAmpeg93 at Sep 13, 2008,
I got a ricky about 6 months ago. I really don't regret it, so i'll say simply, that if you like the tone and don't mind the pickup cover (which you can remove anyway) it really is an amazing bass. the neck is incredibly fast, the tonal variation isn't huge, but it'll sound good in absolutely any situation (even, as i recently discovered, through a fender rumble 15). On top of that, it looks like a work of art and is supremely comfortable in your lap.
At the risk of sounding like a rickenbacker advert, i don't think i could possibly like any bass as much as i like it. So if it's your thing, buy it.
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.
Quote by wouldyakindly
I got a ricky about 6 months ago. I really don't regret it, so i'll say simply, that if you like the tone and don't mind the pickup cover (which you can remove anyway) it really is an amazing bass. the neck is incredibly fast, the tonal variation isn't huge, but it'll sound good in absolutely any situation (even, as i recently discovered, through a fender rumble 15). On top of that, it looks like a work of art and is supremely comfortable in your lap.
At the risk of sounding like a rickenbacker advert, i don't think i could possibly like any bass as much as i like it. So if it's your thing, buy it.

Thanks for the input! Have you ever played it in a group setting (guitarist + drummer, or something similiar)? If you have, how did you like the sound? And what kind of music do you play? Sorry if i sound probing, just trying to gather info

On another note, i went to the local Sam Ash - and no Ricky's in stock at the store =( apparently they only get 2 a year and theyre snatched up pretty quick. Does anyone have an idea of where i could go to fiddle around with a Rickenbacker? =( i know its highly unlikely, but its worth asking heh =)
Personally I don't like Rickenbacker's, I had one when I played in a Melo Death band, it wasn't quite the right tone, so I got a Fender and was far more satisfied. I didn't really like the neck on the bass either but you have to try the bass to find out if you like it or not I guess, and your opinion will be different to mine.
Quote by CBurtonIsKing
Thanks for the input! Have you ever played it in a group setting (guitarist + drummer, or something similiar)? If you have, how did you like the sound? And what kind of music do you play? Sorry if i sound probing, just trying to gather info

On another note, i went to the local Sam Ash - and no Ricky's in stock at the store =( apparently they only get 2 a year and theyre snatched up pretty quick. Does anyone have an idea of where i could go to fiddle around with a Rickenbacker? =( i know its highly unlikely, but its worth asking heh =)

i have played it in a group many times, it seems to cut through pretty well, althoug the amount of twang sometimes irritates my guitarist. That having been said, you can get a very nice round tone if you roll off the tone and use the bass pickup, so sliding underneath the guitarist is easily achievable if you have to. As a bass the pickups are relatively quiet, but with your rig, that shouldn't be a problem.

EDIT: as for the style of music, i play a bit of hardish rock (think foo fighters), a bit of jazz and funk and occasionally something more obscure like reggae. I try and avoid metal bands, but when i have played with them, the amount of treble is very helpful for cutting into the mix, as the rhythm guitar will normally overpower all but your lowest frequencies.
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.
Last edited by wouldyakindly at Sep 14, 2008,
If your looking for a versatile bass, a Ricky is not the bass to go for. And keep in mind they have a horrible lacquer finish on the back of the neck (at least the ones I tried have anyway). But if you like it, then go ahead and buy it.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
for what you want to do with it, i'd get a warwick. rickenbackers are great to play but not entirely suited to what u want it for, if u want to though, GET IT
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
get a job all off you hooligans!

but seriously i would say get the rick. i want one and if i wasn't paying for the most expensive university in canada right now i would probably get one
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
For the money, I reckon a MIA Deluxe Jazz would be better or a 3 Band EQ MM Stingray MM/S.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
wooot! Warwick! but if you are set in your ways, by all means proceed.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
..Bob Barker isn't dead.

Quote by The_Casinator
Nothing is impossible if you're on acid!

Quote by Holy Katana
What if the NES breaks? WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?
Last edited by NakedBassist at Sep 14, 2008,
yea, i think rickenbackers are very much one trick pony's. used alot for indie and pop, and they only really have that 'rickenbacker' sound and its sorta hard to get rid of.
if you get my drift?

but yea i came into so money, (lol, came) and i was considering a ricky, but i tried one and then tried a few fenders and whatnot. settled on a musicman sterling. and its absolutely fantastic for me.

but dont ask us, its up to you, try it and see what you think of how it sounds and plays (theyre very nice to play actually) and go from there. dont forget to try out a musicman and some fenders
My red is so confident that he flashes trophies of war and
ribbons of euphoria
thanks for alll the replies guys! =D

does anyone know where i can actually sit down and try one? I tried the local Sam Ash, and apparently they only gets 2 rickys a year in stock, which of course are quickly snagged =( Ive been told theres alot of musical antique stores in the Hollywood area that might have a vintage ricky, but is anyone aware of some other place a curious musician could fiddle with one for a few minutes? =)
Quote by CBurtonIsKing
thanks for alll the replies guys! =D

does anyone know where i can actually sit down and try one? I tried the local Sam Ash, and apparently they only gets 2 rickys a year in stock, which of course are quickly snagged =( Ive been told theres alot of musical antique stores in the Hollywood area that might have a vintage ricky, but is anyone aware of some other place a curious musician could fiddle with one for a few minutes? =)

find another bassist who has bought one? they turn up at gigs every now and then.

get their number and mention that you want to buy one but want to try one.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
http://www.rickenbacker.com/dealers.asp?state=CA

Check out the stores locally to you. If you click on the link for the stores, it will show what models they have shipped.

And if you're willing to drive to Hollywood from Norco--you could just head over to Santa Monica. According to Rickenbacker's site, this store just got shipped a 4003

Truetone Music
714 Santa Monica Blvd
Santa Monica, CA
Quote by CBurtonIsKing
i love bass players like Chris Wolstenholme, Justin Chancellor, and Timmy with their well crafted tones =)

I'm pretty sure Chris wolstenholme (he's the dude from muse right?) plays a rick, and from your username, I'm pretty sure you like cliff burton, another rick user. I think cliff used it because 1) it really cuts through and 2)the guy seems to have hated his low end, because he also used a lot of guitar effects. still, it will set you apart from most other bassists you'll be playing shows with. my one concern is that It won't handle super drop tunings well, both sonically and because of it's 34" scale. still, try it out and see. I might be wrong
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
Quote by kugelspot
I'm pretty sure Chris wolstenholme (he's the dude from muse right?) plays a rick, and from your username, I'm pretty sure you like cliff burton, another rick user. I think cliff used it because 1) it really cuts through and 2)the guy seems to have hated his low end, because he also used a lot of guitar effects. still, it will set you apart from most other bassists you'll be playing shows with. my one concern is that It won't handle super drop tunings well, both sonically and because of it's 34" scale. still, try it out and see. I might be wrong

Cliff Burton doesn't count, his ric was modified so much it didn't sound like one.
Quote by CBurtonIsKing
As the title says, im thinking of getting a Ricky for christmas While im going to go try one at the local Sam Ash store fairly soon, id like to ask a few questions here first.

For one, i tend to be playing alot of Deathcore (im not particularily fond of the genre, but bands like Winds of Plague and All Shall Perish are huge in my area =P) which consists of alot of HEAVY drop C. And ive been led to believe that a Ricky might sound thin in heavy music, especially drop tuned. Will i be able to make myself audible? and before anyone asks, yes i will be fiddling around with my EQ to try and fix the problem if it occurs. Im just curious if anyone has knowledge or experience with this.

And second, are Rickenbackers flexible tone wise? While i understand they tend to focus on the trebly, punchy side of the bass spectrum, can they be used for multiple genres? I love practically every style of music from jazz, classical, various forms of rock, to various styles of metal and everything between those, and would like to exercise a variety of influences in my playing if i ever get a chance to be a part of a non-hardcore group =p

thanks a bunch in advance! =)

yay. another musician that sells out to play what kind of music is popular in their area and get scene chicks all over their private parts!!! woo hoo!!

get a geddy lee jazz. or some sort of warwick.
Quote by watchingmefall
Cliff Burton doesn't count, his ric was modified so much it didn't sound like one.

Really? I didn't know that
Quote by C0_0kie

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Quote by kugelspot

im not as fond of the cliffster as i once was - i think about starting over on a new account with a different name alot lately =(. Hes really not one of my influences for the interest in ricky's. In fact, i kinda forgot he had one
Last edited by CBurtonIsKing at Sep 15, 2008,
Quote by PedRoFTWkiddies
get scene chicks all over their private parts!!!

Yes? Im sorry, im failing to see where this is some sort of insult =)

Anyways, i dont really consider it selling out from my stand point. Almost all of my musician friends are into the style, i happen to be a bass player, so obviously im going to get drawn into it. Plus, its good performing experience, its very easy to find shows in the area. And plus, is it a crime that i like the social aspect? Is there something wrong with wanting to hang out at parties? Is there something wrong with scene girls on my private parts?

And besides, if youve read anything ive posted, youd notice that im trying to get out of the genre and try something new. All im asking from this forum community is a few answers to my questions, some helpful advice and maybe personal experience. If thats a problem, well, sorry bro.
^ nothing wrong with any of that. especially scene chicks on your private parts
Quote by C0_0kie

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Quote by kugelspot

that's how you get terrible diseases.

called... children...
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by kugelspot

Anyways, thanks again everyone for all the thoughts. Ill put some more thought into the whole "to rick, or to not to rick" deal, and ill get back on the forums with a little something about whatever i decide to pick up in a few months