Page 1 of 2
Okay, so i'm in search for a Spider Line 6 III Hd150 head. And.. A Line 6 4x12 Cabinet

I've checked Guitar Center, Ebay, Amazon, Craigs List, and Daddys Junky Music.

The cheapest for the cabinet i found - 299.99
cheapest for head 299.99

and the cheapest all together - 649.99

Any other places i should check?
Now i know everyone is going to say this, but listen please. Do not waste your money on not only a Half Stack, but a Oversized practice amp at that.

What is your max budget?
What style of music do you play?
What country do you live in?
Quote by thellamaking
Now i know everyone is going to say this, but listen please. Do not waste your money on not only a Half Stack, but a Oversized practice amp at that.

What is your max budget?
What style of music do you play?
What country do you live in?

I play mostly Metal music. My budget is around $400-500.
If you want a metal tube amp for that price, look for a used Peavey XXX combo. I got mine for $450. Also look into the Bugera tube amps, they're based on Peavey's amps (5150, XXX, and I think the JSX), all of which are great for metal.
Well you could try a Peavey Valveking, which has quite a bit of gain to it. You could also have a look at the new Vyper Range that they've introduced. I've never tried one so don't take my word on it but there's a lot of hype about these amps so you should see what they're like. Bugera's are also worth a look at, they're insane wattages though, tubes too.

To be honest, it's quite hard to find an excellent metal sound with such a little price range but i assure you they'll be better than the spider.
Last edited by thellamaking at Sep 13, 2008,
Would it work for me to use the line 6 spider iii hd150 head with a Bugera cab? lol

Please keep the suggestions going guys, this is helping me alot.
Quote by TDCGuitar
Would it work for me to use the line 6 spider iii hd150 head with a Bugera cab? lol

Please keep the suggestions going guys, this is helping me alot.

Well it would work, you can mix and match different companies for heads and cabinets. But it's the Spider that is the problem. The Cabinet is just speakers, but the majority of the sound is from the Head. And the Spider is a horrible amp, quite frankley. You don't need a halfstack either, a combo amp will sound just as good and you'll get better value for your money.
Hmm hearing you guys talking about the Spider head being bad is like wicked shocking to me. I've played the half stack many times. And i'm in love with the tones you can come up with it. Can someone explain to me like, why it's bad?

You guys probably have more experience than I do. Maybe i'm missing something.
The main thing is the head is an oversized practice head. At $650 you can score a used Mesa, JSX, 5150 - a lot of better amps for metal than the spider III. What major city do you live near, what craigslist are your checking?
If you go play a nice high gain tube amp, you'll know what we're all talking about.
Quote by TDCGuitar
Hmm hearing you guys talking about the Spider head being bad is like wicked shocking to me. I've played the half stack many times. And i'm in love with the tones you can come up with it. Can someone explain to me like, why it's bad?

You guys probably have more experience than I do. Maybe i'm missing something.

Well i know how you can be impressed with the Spider amp, but if you spend the same amount of time with other amps you'll notice how the Spider amps don't sound very good. With experience you'll find the Spider to sound very fizzy and digital.

And on the half stack note, the Spider was orignally made for practice use, like a 15watt amp that will sit in your bedroom and have not that much use. But buying it in a half stack form that you could possibly use for gigs is just wrong. Just go to a guitar centre and spend a few hours with a worker and just try, try, try. To be honest that's the only way you'll find the perfect amp for you.
TheLlamaKing, okay, i'll go and try out other amps.Thankyou, but What's a few of your favorite halfstacks, so i can keep them in mind?

Try to keep them around my budget please. lol
Quote by TDCGuitar
TheLlamaKing, okay, i'll go and try out other amps.Thankyou, but What's a few of your favorite halfstacks, so i can keep them in mind?

To be fair, i can also see why you want a halfstack But for that price range they wont be very good. If you bought a combo then you'll get better value for money, and probably a better tone.

And i'm trying to stay to your budget but it is quite tight to be fair, but i am trying my best
Quote by TDCGuitar

Your asking him to pull a rabbit out of his *ss. The Randall is a great amp at $400. Why are you wanting a half stack? Please don't say because they look cool, please don't...
Quote by Ghold125
b-52 at112
randall rg50tc

Aren't they both over his budget?

If you looked at Craigslist/eBay for one used it should be in your price range, but it would have to be used.
haha yeah. i agree with you, about the combo amp. But i'd rather get a halfstack. Simply because im 13 and dumb. And want something big that looks sweet to show off to my friends, But i also want it to sound good. Lol, atleast im honest...

But, at what price do halfstacks actually become better than a combo amp?
Quote by gregs1020
Your asking him to pull a rabbit out of his *ss. The Randall is a great amp at $400. Why are you wanting a half stack? Please don't say because they look cool, please don't...

Sorry. lol
Quote by TDCGuitar
haha yeah. i agree with you, about the combo amp. But i'd rather get a halfstack. Simply because im 13 and dumb. And want something big that looks sweet to show off to my friends, But i also want it to sound good. Lol, atleast im honest...

Well i know Halfstacks look cool and stuff, i used to But surely better tone comes before the look?
Quote by TDCGuitar

When you spend about $1300 on the head, used.

I posted a used RG50tc for $400? Are you reading your own thread? And yes, buying a half stack at 13 is pretty much the definition of dumb, especially for what you want to use it for.

Edit: Show off to your friends by being awesome on guitar.
Quote by thellamaking
Well i know Halfstacks look cool and stuff, i used to But surely better tone comes before the look?

haha yes it does =]

Do you have an AIM to make this conversation go a lot quicker? lol

and yes it does, but can't i have both? =D
Quote by gregs1020
When you spend about $1300 on the head, used.

I posted a used RG50tc for $400? Are you reading your own thread? And yes, buying a half stack at 13 is pretty much the definition of dumb, especially for what you want to use it for.

Okay i've been playing guitar for 3 years. playing shows with my band. and doing everything you can do with the guitar. don't tell me buying a halfstack at 13 is dumb. you obviously dont know what i really want it for. I'm getting sick of using my friends amp to use for shows. and stuff, since my amp is too little to compete with the drums,singer and everything. even with his. they still need to mic my amp sometimes..
how big are the gigs youre playing?
out of a tube amp and a solid state amp of the same wattage, the tube will sound louder too (check the stickied threads, great tips)
if youre not playing huge arenas a 30 watt tube amp would probably be plenty
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
Lol. Get a used Marshall Vintage Modern lol. Or maybe a used JSX lol. I would also consider getting a used Peavy Windsor (lol) or maybe getting a used Mesa Boogie lol.

Lol.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Quote by TDCGuitar
don't tell me buying a halfstack at 13 is dumb. you obviously dont know what i really want it for.

You said you wanted it to show off to your friends, and because it looks cool. Why didn't you post your original intentions?
Quote by gregs1020
You said you wanted it to show off to your friends, and because it looks cool. Why didn't you post your original intentions?

Those are another part of my intentions.. Lol, there a lot of reasons why i want a halfstack and you keep posting me combo amps. I know they're good, alot of people has been telling me to get them. And i don't think they're wrong. I think all you guys are right, and IM wrong. I just want a halfstack because i know if i dont get one. In a month or so after using a combo amp im ganna be like, damn i shoulda got a halfstack or something. Just don't attempt to make fun of me.
Quote by TDCGuitar
Okay i've been playing guitar for 3 years. playing shows with my band. and doing everything you can do with the guitar. don't tell me buying a halfstack at 13 is dumb. you obviously dont know what i really want it for. I'm getting sick of using my friends amp to use for shows. and stuff, since my amp is too little to compete with the drums,singer and everything. even with his. they still need to mic my amp sometimes..

Micing up an amp doesn't mean you're amps pathetic or anything People use 30watt tube combos for large gigs mic'd, Brian May uses AC30s and he plays stadiums, obviously he mic's them. But because it's mic'd you don't need an amp that is an insane wattage, or a half-stack.

And sorry i don't have AIM, i do have MSN though
Last edited by thellamaking at Sep 13, 2008,
Quote by thellamaking
Micing up an amp doesn't mean you're amps pathetic or anything People use 30watt tube combos for large gigs mic'd, Brian May uses AC30s and he plays stadiums, obviously he mic's them. But because it's mic'd you don't need an amp that is an insane wattage.

And sorry i don't have AIM, i do have MSN though

true,true. but he still gets mad at me, cuz like i've had it for a month now. lol

if you had 500-600 what would you buy for an amp.

Give me what halfstack youd buy

and what combo amp

that will probably help me out the most.
Quote by TDCGuitar
Those are another part of my intentions.. Lol, there a lot of reasons why i want a halfstack and you keep posting me combo amps. I know they're good, alot of people has been telling me to get them. And i don't think they're wrong. I think all you guys are right, and IM wrong. I just want a halfstack because i know if i dont get one. In a month or so after using a combo amp im ganna be like, damn i shoulda got a halfstack or something. Just don't attempt to make fun of me.

Lol. You asked for our help lol. You're going to get the opinion of the people you asked lol. They are going to suggest something based on what they think your needs (lol) are lol.

If you don't like it; close your thread and GTFO, please lol.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Quote by Weeping_Demon7
Lol. You asked for our help lol. You're going to get the opinion of the people you asked lol. They are going to suggest something based on what they think your needs (lol) are lol.

If you don't like it; close your thread and GTFO, please lol.

I made it clear on what i wanted. So please stop posting on my thread.
Combo wise i'd probably see if i could find a used Randall RG50tc, lots of gain there. Very good amp.

If i were to get a halfstack... um... i'd probably save another $100 and buy myself a Krank Rev. Jr but i stress that without really going into upwards of $1000 you wont get a very good halfstack.

That Krank is a good amp though but you'd have to save another $100 if you could.
Quote by thellamaking
Combo wise i'd probably see if i could find a used Randall RG50tc, lots of gain there. Very good amp.

If i were to get a halfstack... um... i'd probably save another $100 and buy myself a Krank Rev. Jr but i stress that without really going into upwards of $1000 you wont get a very good halfstack.

That Krank is a good amp though but you'd have to save another $100 if you could.

I'll sell my bed. hahah then i can get any halfstack i want!

Bob-O-Pedic, Ebay you go!

Lol, thankyou for your suggestions. You helped a lot. I'll see what i can do.
If i have any other questions can i message you?
If its image your more concerned with then check out the marshall MGs. They are even cooler they say "MARSHALL". Your 13 maybe someday you will understand there is more to life than image.
Quote by Tackleberry
If its image your more concerned with then check out the marshall MGs. They are even cooler they say "MARSHALL". Your 13 maybe someday you will understand there is more to life than image.

GTFO please, we've resolved his problem already.
dont get a halfstack. get a fullstack
Quote by Julz127
I don't actually use toilet paper, I use sweet chili sauce and sandpaper, cause I'm a man.
Page 1 of 2