I've asked a couple of "which amp" questions on this forum, the most recent one being about the Mesa Lonestar and Kustom 36.

I always end up trying an amp, only to find that it is not what I am looking for.

Well today I realized that what I am looking for may not exist...

Here's the problem:

I looooove a good clean tone. I would actually have no problem giving up using any overdrive or distortion for the rest of my life for a "perfect" clean tone. (unfortunately/fortunately that will never happen).

I currently have a Traynor YCV-20WR, and its a great amp. Good reverb, FX loop, Good cleans (shitty distortion though, but who cares).

I had always thought though, that I needed more "headroom", because with the volume on 10, the amp starts to distort(I want it to stay clean) with the gain anywhere past 2.

Today I realized that I was wrong, and more headroom wont solve the problem of it staying clean. I always run my amp at full volume, because then I am getting the most out of the tubes.

I'm sure you guys know what I mean. If you play a nice tube amp at 1, it will sound alright, but at 10 (or 11 or 12 depending on the amp) you can almost feel the tubes come alive.

Anyway....I'm rambling now.

The point is this: I want a tube amp that I can run at 100%, push the tubes to their limit and beyond, and still have pristine clean.

Sorry if I sound like a super tone nazi, but guitar tone is seriously one of the most important things in the world to me. If I don't feel like I'm getting the "most" out of my amp, I wont even bother to pick up the guitar. If I'm not gonna have amazing tone, why bother?
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee
Oh Shit! I Have A Weird Growth On My Body!

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/tonelife/
have you tried a line 6? its a digital amp, and i love the cleans and the distortions you can get, because its digital, it doesn't get distorted when you turn up the drive/gain, plus the distortions sound badass
hold on.. so you want a tube amp that you can run full power, with more headroom (more wattage) that won't break up on full power?

I find that slightly confusing.
Only thing that comes to mind is finding an amp with amazing cleans, a shit load of headroom, and then buying an attenuator (you get the tone of having the amp on 12, but a very controlled output volume) so you don't blow your head off.
Last edited by Zeppelin_1223 at Sep 13, 2008,
You don't need it cranked completely to get great tone. Maybe change your pick attack. Tube amps are built/designed to have tube break up at some point on the dial. I think you need a high wattage tube amp and not have it dimed to get a lot of clean headroom.

Edit: YCV80 comes to mind, or a twin reverb.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
i think your concentrating to much on the idea of having it all the way up, most tube amps i've heard have the sweet spot at 9 and turning them to 10 is too much.
Quote by Undrgrndmlita
have you tried a line 6? its a digital amp, and i love the cleans and the distortions you can get, because its digital, it doesn't get distorted when you turn up the drive/gain, plus the distortions sound badass

Quote by Le_Bunny
Money doesn't fuel good music. Passion does.

Dude, not to call you a retard, but a tube amp running at 10 is going to break up no matter what . You're getting "the most" out of your amp by running your amp at like, andwhere above 4. The only way it's not going to break up is if your knob is modded so that it doesn't turn the pot to 10
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by Undrgrndmlita

Yes, this!

(GTFO)
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Quote by Undrgrndmlita

you fail... he wants a tube amp not a digital sounding ss amp(and a crappy one at that)

i'm not completely familial with them but i've herd some Fender tube amps have very good cleans, should be something worth looking into
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at Sep 13, 2008,
1) The only bad Line 6 amps are the Spiders. The rest are amazing for what they are: modellers. They are NOT what the TS is looking for, however.

2) Try a Twin Reverb.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
When you run an amp at full volume, the tubes overdrive. You like the sound of a tube amp cranked, but don't like distortion, which makes no sense at all
Yeah, I'm not getting this...

the point of running an amp loud is to get the harmonically even overdrive and compression of your power tubes breaking up.

Even the cleanest of vintage blackface Fenders will break up when you turn it to 10.

I'd suggest a Fender twin reverb, it will not start breaking up until around 6 or so, in which if you don't have an attenuator, you most likely will not be able to turn it past that anyway.
I'm with everyone else, you cant have the cranked sound and be clean, they're two different things. That's like asking for a ham sandwich with no ham, it's not a ham sandwich then.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
get a dumble steel string singer. 200 tube watts designed to not break up.

it will put you back 30 grand or so though.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Yes I realize everything you guys have said. Thats why in my original post I pointed out that what I'm looking for probably doesn't exist.

And I know amps have "sweet spots". On my particular amp, its at full volume (10). Thats when I can really feel the tubes. It gets really sensitive, and much brighter/clearer sounding (until it breaks up).

Its not like I think it sounds bad at lower levels, where I can strum really hard on it and it wont break up, it just sounds better when I'm pushing the tubes harder. Its fine if I pick very lightly, but I'm often in situations where I play my Tele almost like its a dreadnought acoustic, and I do some pretty heavy duty strumming. I want to be able to do that, but not sacrifice any of that tubey goodness.

I don't make compromises when it comes to my tone. Its now to the point where I refuse to play if I don't think I have the perfect tone for the situation.
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee
Oh Shit! I Have A Weird Growth On My Body!

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/tonelife/
volume knob or lower output pickups to lower guitar's output maybe?

/knows nothing about tube amps
.|......|....|
=--
.............|

an unsaturated fattylolcid.