Hey. I have an Epiphone Thunderbird (yeah, sue me), and I've been having problems with the top frets recently. First, the 14th fret on the G string just completely died, gave nothing but a metallic buzz and that was it. I thought it might have been the strings, since they were getting on for a year old. So I restrung it and the 14th fret came back, but the dead fret just moved up to the 16th-19th. I could live with that cos I didn't use those notes much anyway, but when it came round to me needing to, I restrung it again (about a week ago). The odd thing is now, every fret on the G string between the 16th and 20th all give the same note In other words, the 20th fret in standard tuning is a D#, which is fine. But then I'm also getting D# where I should be getting D, C#, C and B. Any ideas what I should do?

Thanks.
Quote by Andron17
Go away, I have an erection.

Bassist for Half My Kingdom.
Quote by TJ1991
Hey. I have an Epiphone Thunderbird (yeah, sue me), and I've been having problems with the top frets recently. First, the 14th fret on the G string just completely died, gave nothing but a metallic buzz and that was it. I thought it might have been the strings, since they were getting on for a year old. So I restrung it and the 14th fret came back, but the dead fret just moved up to the 16th-19th. I could live with that cos I didn't use those notes much anyway, but when it came round to me needing to, I restrung it again (about a week ago). The odd thing is now, every fret on the G string between the 16th and 20th all give the same note In other words, the 20th fret in standard tuning is a D#, which is fine. But then I'm also getting D# where I should be getting D, C#, C and B. Any ideas what I should do?

Thanks.

Meh, forget about the dead fret moving to the 16th-19th fret. It's impossible to reach those frets on a T-Bird (Don't take that seriously, I'm just joking with you)

I honestly have no idea what's wrong with your bass. I suggest taking it to a professional.
Fender FSR Standard Jazz Bass(Sapphire Blue finish!!)
Squier VM TB Bass
Squier Precision Bass(heavily modified)
Behringer 180 Watt Combo<--My EQ pedal made this sound decent O_o until I get my Gallien-Krueger half stack
should've bought a better guitar?

edit: oooh it's a bass. then i stand corrected, should've bougt a guitar

but srsly. no damn clue what would be causing that...
Quote by Dillona
I think I want to have sex with you.

On topic: No, I haven't met any famous artists.

ofcourse i laughed xD

Quote by CoreysMonster
yeah we're all dead now. Turns out we've been in hell all along.

About the LHC

Quote by grifff
Its probably the intonation since it moved when you put new strings on

this. try messing with the truss rod, but in the most professional manner. just a little tiny twist.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
If you actually want your guitar repaired, i'd take it to a pro.

conversely, you could always sell it on ebay as "slightly used" and buy a better bass.
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.
Quote by wouldyakindly
If you actually want your guitar repaired, i'd take it to a pro.

conversely, you could always sell it on ebay as "slightly used" and buy a better bass.

Why pay when you can do it yourself?
sorry for beng inspecific.
and really, there is only one way to learn.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
The truss rod is too tight; the neck needs more relief. I had that issue on my Squier Strat.
Quote by lexaah
should've bought a better guitar?

edit: oooh it's a bass. then i stand corrected, should've bougt a guitar

but srsly. no damn clue what would be causing that...

Glad to see someone has a clue what they're on about . If you must know I'm a guitarist as well.

Thanks everyone for the sensible answers, I'll see what I can do without going too far. Subtle turns on the truss rod, yeah. If I still can't get it right I'll take it to a pro, it's just a money issue at the moment.
Quote by Andron17
Go away, I have an erection.

Bassist for Half My Kingdom.
Quote by Arbitror
The truss rod is too tight; the neck needs more relief. I had that issue on my Squier Strat.

This would be my guess too. Too little relief and the strings can't clear higher numbered frets.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1