So I have this vintage shortscale bass, circa 70s (we think) when I got it appraised, the guy told me it was probably by a company called Lero (now defunct). When I got it it was pretty beaten in the paint department, so i stripped off the shitty black paintjob and revealed the previous aqua blue one it had, which i decided to take off as well, than sanded it thoroughly. The neck is a beautiful rosewood, that existed before that shitty particleboard that passes off a rosewood nowadays. In all it's a good bass, and I can't wait to finish it (It has a near black pickguard, and im gonna polish that, replace the nut, the tuners are still in great condition, but I need to replace the tone pot, as well as the nobs (probably with dice) and I'm gonna give it a dark cherry stain and maybe add a decal to the headstock.)

Enough of that.. Can you tell me what kind of wood this is? I'm thinking alder, but I've never had much experience in the matter. Plus it seems to be bound, so

Last edited by Mr. Hand at Sep 13, 2008,
Definately plywood. You can easily see the different layers of wood on the side pic's.
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
Quote by mogar
Definately plywood. You can easily see the different layers of wood on the side pic's.

yeah thats what im thinkin BTW Plywood = not the best tone
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100
Honesty is the best policy!

...Unless your trying to get a job. In which case, lie like you just got pulled over with a dead body and some shovels in the back seat.

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
that sucks dude, tis is plywood

oh well, look at bright side, you have some fire wood now!
"My jedi powers are far more superior than yours"
Plywood is not a species of tree, it's a process. The crap you find in cheap desks is not the same kind of wood I'm seeing here.
This space foreclosed, due to the ailing economy.
Quote by Free to Guitar
Plywood is not a species of tree, it's a process. The crap you find in cheap desks is not the same kind of wood I'm seeing here.

plywood is a shit load of layers of wood glued together, thats what this is..
Quote by RabbidWolf
plywood is a shit load of layers of wood glued together, thats what this is..

Yes, and? Mr. Hand asked what kind of WOOD it was made of, not whether it was glued together. Plywood isn't any tree I ever heard of.
This space foreclosed, due to the ailing economy.
Quote by Free to Guitar
Yes, and? Mr. Hand asked what kind of WOOD it was made of, not whether it was glued together. Plywood isn't any tree I ever heard of.

Ah I see what your saying now. I gave you a kind of dumb answer because I thought you were being dumb lol. Well I would think that even if it was made of a rare, high quality exotic wood, it would count for nothing being glued together like that with all kinds of other layers.. Just my 2 cents

I had to because I have nothing productive to add to this thread...
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
Quote by gorkyporky
some kind of plywood?

yep. Ply.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.