Alright, sorry if this has already been asked or if I'm in the wrong place, but here it is:

I've plenty of songwriting experience under my belt, and now have 12-14 full length songs of mine committed to memory.

Lately, however, I've really been aching to compose some sweeping 12 minute odyssey, which, in case you didn't know, is really hard to do with one electric guitar and no way to record it.

So, to the point, I need to know what the least expensive and least complicated recording setup is. Thanks in advance.
ive seen them at target
are they any good?
First Emo of the Bass Militia PM DinkyDaisy to join
Quote by metaldud536
Did your know your son likes to fap?

Quote by Minkaro
I'd rather shove a Pidgeot up my arse than spend any time with Jimmy Page.

Quote by Table Salt
You win for making me really laugh.

add that:
Myspace
cheapest? $20 logitech usb desktop mic and some freeware recording software (audacity). thats how i started... it actually worked out fairly well
Quote by sportmac49
cheapest? $20 logitech usb desktop mic and some freeware recording software (audacity). thats how i started... it actually worked out fairly well

That's what I was going to say, actually. Until my mic died- that was a sad day- that's what I used. It sounds like it'd be horrible, but it's not all that bad. Just position the mic and stuff at good ditances and you can actually get an okay sound for $20... I'm stuck now with software costing like $100 which is way worse than Audacity and my wally world mic.
The Wheel of Time turns. What was may be again, and what is may yet pass...
Quote by AwesomeDrummer
can mixer's work as proper interfaces? or if i bought a mixer, would i also need to buy a good soundcard?

a mixer wouldn't be of much use really.
get a good interface with multiple inputs if you need them, then you'll be able to record from 2 mics to 2 tracks simultaneously.

anything that runs through your computers sound-card is always gonna sound crap.
I would actually suggest a Toneport GX instead of a SP...

Mixers (analog) are not interfaces...They are useless when it comes to modern computer based recording. 99% of sequencers have mixing pages in them so you are better off using that. IF you want hands on control, get a control surface with your interface.
I just have a Line6 Guitar Port (a tone port would probably be even better) with Gearbox and Audacity. Works very nicely. Not professional quality, but far from $h!t...
Quote by moody07747
They are useless when it comes to modern computer based recording.

Careful there.... too sweeping a generalization. Mine is very useful.

-Literally *zero* latency - even when recording 10 tracks at once.
-allows for separate headphone mixes to different performers
-allows me to add effects (zero latency again) to a performer while tracking that will not appear in the actual recorded track.
-my Delta 1010 doesn't have built in preamps.

That said, my next rig will probably work something like this, and be mixer-less:
-Cubase has integrated in its last couple of versions a control room, which allows for separate headphone mixes.
-That same control room feature allows for FX on inputs that won't be recorded
-a good strong machine (mine now is 1.7Ghz!!) capable of reducing latency with that many tracks.
-probably something like the new Steinberg hardware unit, or the new one from TC Electronic, or something like that.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.