A couple days ago, I went out on a whim and played some amps at a couple different local guitar stores. One of them was a B-52 AT112. I thought the tone was killer. It was a 60-watt tube amp, and it sounded pretty awesome imo. It sounded better than the Krank Rev Jr. I tried out. So I went home and did some research on it and found out that people have MAJOR reliability issues with this amp (and I thought that might have explained its $700 CAD price tag). I was wondering if anybody here had any bad experiences with their B-52 amp and if the customer service was helpful.

If you guys seriously think that purchasing this amp is a bad idea, please let me know. I play almost all styles of rock, but my band is hard rock/metal. I've got a modified JEM guitar right now with EMG 81/85 p'ups. I wouldn't want to spend much more than $700 on an amp, but I would like it to be tube. If I can find it used, then used is fine with me. I'm looking for a tube amp with great distortion and fairly good cleans; no on-board effects are necessary, and I would like the amp to be giggable and good for recording as well. A lot to ask for in a $700 amp, but I'm sure you UGers can give me some advice - you have before.

Thanks ahead of time guys! Cheers!
As far as I know, the reliability issues were quite some time ago and have been cleared up?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Get it. An OD will push it more if it needs to be.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
I've had mine for...2 years, in a few months I believe? I haven't had a problem with it at all. It's SS, but still. I think the customer service is good from what I've heard, but I have no personal experience with them. If you like it, I say get it. You can always return it, right?
My gear:
Schecter C-1+ w/ Seymour duncan Jazz (neck) and Full Shred (bridge), with Sperzels
B-52 LG-100A 4x12 half stack
Rogue LX405 Bass
Yamaha classical
Some sort of acoustic Squier
Boss Flanger
Lyon Chorus
The b-52's had really bad quality control on the first run of the at's, but they have since then fixed that. Such as the overheating, they now have fans in them

And they are pretty good amps
Quote by Ghold125
The b-52's had really bad quality control on the first run of the at's, but they have since then fixed that. Such as the overheating, they now have fans in them

And they are pretty good amps

Thanks very much!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I've considered the B52.

Where at in Canada exactly? You might be able to find a used Laney that would be a great value, well built and probably do most of what you want to do.

Guelph, it's Southwestern Ontario an hour outside of Toronto.
Quote by SchecterC-1+Man
I've had mine for...2 years, in a few months I believe? I haven't had a problem with it at all. It's SS, but still. I think the customer service is good from what I've heard, but I have no personal experience with them. If you like it, I say get it. You can always return it, right?

Oh ok cool. I believe that SS, from everything I've known, will have far fewer issues because tubes have heating and maintenance issues, but seeing as how you're satisfied, I may be too. Thanks!
Quote by thrashing moles
you can modify a JEM?!

Definitely! lol
Whether or not you should is another question. Mine is technically a counterfeit; hence all the mods I've put in it. After another one or two changes though, I'm thinking it will run better than an actual JEM (at least, that's the hope). It sounds better to me right now anyways.
Quote by MatrixClaw
As far as I know, the reliability issues were quite some time ago and have been cleared up?

That's what I've heard as well, but I was just checking. Thanks!
I love my B-52. Absolutely love it. One thing i always though was it was a bit darker sounding. A little to much for my ac/dc fascination... lol. But after i through an eq pedal into the effects loop I have no more complaints.

People use to have heating problems with their b-52's but to my knowledge they have fixed these, and even installed fans on some of their higher powered amps. But I have yet to have a problem with mine.

it can do metal on its own, although it really needs to be cranked in order to reach those more extreme levels. But my attenuator helps with that. I do use my tubescreamer to push it on the dirty channel, but this is only for some pretty extreme gain... and theres not a lot of bands that i listen to that use THAT much gain...

the clean channel is pretty decent. But this amp is definately suited for more clasic rock to metal, not a lot of cleans. But like i said the cleans are still pretty decent souding, but I found that my combo starts breaking up kinda early, but its not bad. If i need the cleans that bad I can always turn off my attenuator and turn down the volume, or lower the volume on my guiar a bit...

but if you like the tone, its definately a great amp, esp for the price
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Quote by ICANSEEYOU7687
I love my B-52. Absolutely love it. One thing i always though was it was a bit darker sounding. A little to much for my ac/dc fascination... lol. But after i through an eq pedal into the effects loop I have no more complaints.

People use to have heating problems with their b-52's but to my knowledge they have fixed these, and even installed fans on some of their higher powered amps. But I have yet to have a problem with mine.

it can do metal on its own, although it really needs to be cranked in order to reach those more extreme levels. But my attenuator helps with that. I do use my tubescreamer to push it on the dirty channel, but this is only for some pretty extreme gain... and theres not a lot of bands that i listen to that use THAT much gain...

the clean channel is pretty decent. But this amp is definately suited for more clasic rock to metal, not a lot of cleans. But like i said the cleans are still pretty decent souding, but I found that my combo starts breaking up kinda early, but its not bad. If i need the cleans that bad I can always turn off my attenuator and turn down the volume, or lower the volume on my guiar a bit...

but if you like the tone, its definately a great amp, esp for the price

Great! Thanks so much man! That was a big help!
yeah b-52 is pretty awesome, and if you have 750 bucks extra to spend i would suggest getting the 2X12 combo 60 watt with V30's. it would be god like. its supposed to get the mesa rectum frier tone and it does it pretty good in my ears.
Quote by Nathan_393
Guelph, it's Southwestern Ontario an hour outside of Toronto.

i was shocked just now at how many cities were added to craigslist.org for Canada. This site is growing I tell ya.

http://guelph.en.craigslist.ca/msg/

i know i keep bringing it up but it is worth a check. Here is a listing for Guelph alone. Nothing really except that Marshall Valvestate. I bet you would find tons of stuff in Toronto if you looked. Otherwise, a new B52 AT would work well.
The wiring was faulty on mine and I had to send it in to an authorized dealer and wait a few weeks for it to be fixed. It was inconvenient to say the least. No other problems since then.
12 fret fury
Quote by convictionless
yeah b-52 is pretty awesome, and if you have 750 bucks extra to spend i would suggest getting the 2X12 combo 60 watt with V30's. it would be god like. its supposed to get the mesa rectum frier tone and it does it pretty good in my ears.

The speakers make that much of a difference? :S
I'm really big into guitar modding, but amp tone is something I've never really looked into. I know what I like it to sound like and that's about it...
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
i was shocked just now at how many cities were added to craigslist.org for Canada. This site is growing I tell ya.

http://guelph.en.craigslist.ca/msg/

i know i keep bringing it up but it is worth a check. Here is a listing for Guelph alone. Nothing really except that Marshall Valvestate. I bet you would find tons of stuff in Toronto if you looked. Otherwise, a new B52 AT would work well.

That's awesome man.
I'm going to keep Craigslist in mind; don't have to deal with bidding on eBay. Thanks!
Quote by Punk Poser
The wiring was faulty on mine and I had to send it in to an authorized dealer and wait a few weeks for it to be fixed. It was inconvenient to say the least. No other problems since then.

Just out of curiosity, did you play your amp before you purchased it or was it shipped to you? I'm curious if the amp worked at all before you noticed the bad wiring.
Question. I'm thinking of buying a AT-112 off of Craigslist. I'm going to be testing it and everything before buying, but long term reliability IS a concern. He says that this one was made in 2008.....was that after the first run of faulty AT-112's were put on market?
Quote by Always-Ben
Question. I'm thinking of buying a AT-112 off of Craigslist. I'm going to be testing it and everything before buying, but long term reliability IS a concern. He says that this one was made in 2008.....was that after the first run of faulty AT-112's were put on market?

This thread is 2 years old man.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
This thread is 2 years old man.

And that prohibits him from being able to get an answer to his question?
Quote by patriotplayer90
And that prohibits him from being able to get an answer to his question?

Yes, necrobumps are against the rules and a new thread should be made if the thread is that old.

The AT series is no longer made as far as I know, if it's made it this long without dying, chances are, it'll be fine.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Yes, necrobumps are against the rules and a new thread should be made if the thread is that old.

The AT series is no longer made as far as I know, if it's made it this long without dying, chances are, it'll be fine.

Much better response.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Much better response.

Cool?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com