Ok,

So I have been playing bass for about 3 years now,

I Play a right handed bass (and guitar) upside down.

I've gotten to a point now that I feel as though i want to make that big splurge on a beautiful Fender.

But my problem is,

i don't know wether to,

A) buy a right handed Jazz bass.

or,

B) buy a left handed Jazz bass and re-string it the other way round.

I know the second option sounds crazy,

but i look like an idiot playing a right upside down.

If there's anybody who has done something similar,

i need to ask, would i need to buy a right handed knut?

or make any drastic changes to the Left hander if i got it.

All Comments would be obliged.

Thanks =]

Sam.

xxx
do you play left handed cause if so just get a left handed string it normal
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
I do play left handed in a sense,

But i flip a right handed guitar over, so that the fret would be facing like a left hander.

I play with my E string at the bottom of the fret board,

its wierd,

but thats how i've always learnt.

I couldn't afford a left handed bass when i first started,

so it was my best alternative.
i say learn to play right handed normally
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Quote by sonsie
i say learn to play right handed normally
Exactly, i'm left handed and i learned right handed in some way i find it better. Becuase all you do with your left hand on a left handed bass is use two (sometimes 3) fingers to strum when if you play right handed and your a lefty you can have your dominate hand to move around the frets, which will cause you to be a monster on the fret board.
Referring to Victor Wooten
Quote by Nutter_101
"Wa wa wa English is my first language, music is my second blah blah blah wank wank wank I rule, love me suck my dick."

That's all I heard in that entire interview.

My Band:
http://www.myspace.com/closedfortonight
^dude i love your sig

oh and yeah i agree with you aswell
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Quote by AmpleSteak
Exactly, i'm left handed and i learned right handed in some way i find it better. Becuase all you do with your left hand on a left handed bass is use two (sometimes 3) fingers to strum when if you play right handed and your a lefty you can have your dominate hand to move around the frets, which will cause you to be a monster on the fret board.

HE HAS BEEN PLAYING FOR 3 YEARS its not an easy switch to play all your notes to your left hand. not only that but the strings are then fliped. which MEANS he would have wasted! 3 years of bass playing. read the beginning of the THREAD!
well. since you have this problem....like me
1. you could always learn it left handed with your low E on top even though it doesnt make any sense whatso ever considering that the low string would be on bottom cause bottom means low. at least thats my problem with it.
2. restring a lefty even though the cost more so you can hit those higher notes and so you dont look stupid. also so you dont have strap problems.
3. play the right handed bass left handed. even though you can hit the high notes but its cheaper. and thats what i did.
4. switch to guitar(cause you say you play guitar). its alot easy cause the hardest part when your playing guitar is the chords for us left handed people playing guitar.
for bass we have to learn how to slap a different way. which is no easy feat. if you do switch to guitar. an SG is perfect because strap doesnt get in the way of the higher frets. and you can reach it both sides.

thats all can really say cause i know how you feel. i look kinda stupid too. but some people dont really notice. i suggest # 2 if you have the cash. i on the other hand. dont have the cash. but will get a bass like that one day.

GO LEFT HANDED PLAYING PEOPLE ON A RIGHT HANDED BASS OR GUITAR!!!
blemonese of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
Quote by camhussynec
Its like getting anal for the first time. It hurts like hell but eventully ull get used to it and itll feel fine

Thanks for nothing
Quote by matosh.lee
HE HAS BEEN PLAYING FOR 3 YEARS its not an easy switch to play all your notes to your left hand. not only that but the strings are then fliped. which MEANS he would have wasted! 3 years of bass playing. read the beginning of the THREAD!

There was for each of us a time when we were completely awkward holding these big hunks of wood in our hands. We all had to start from scratch and build our ways up to where we are today. For the TS, if he chooses to correct his playing style, it is the same thing.

I honestly believe that there is no point in him continuing to play incorrectly. Though somebody who loves the sound of their own pontification may argue that the "correct" playing style is subjective, my retort to that person would be "horse shit". Life is only going to be harder for TS the longer he avoids rectifying his deviation of established standards, and there's no way that's worth it. I say he start anew, right-handed or left-handed, his choice.

You're right, he's wasted three years of bass playing.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
buy a lefty and restring it the way you like it
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by skater dan0

This, with a nut suitable for the direction you string it.

He is not alone in playing with the strings the 'wrong' way round. After 3 years of learning that way, I don't think it will he any hindrance at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLyV5JLvxM0
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
this is really confusing can we get pics?
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Team Lime Green!
My video link shows a guy playing with the strings the wrong way round, and I would love to be as good as he is.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by SammyRhyno
Ok,

So I have been playing bass for about 3 years now,

I Play a right handed bass (and guitar) upside down.

I've gotten to a point now that I feel as though i want to make that big splurge on a beautiful Fender.

But my problem is,

i don't know wether to,

A) buy a right handed Jazz bass.

or,

B) buy a left handed Jazz bass and re-string it the other way round.

I know the second option sounds crazy,

but i look like an idiot playing a right upside down.

If there's anybody who has done something similar,

i need to ask, would i need to buy a right handed knut?

or make any drastic changes to the Left hander if i got it.

All Comments would be obliged.

Thanks =]

Sam.

xxx

What?
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
Quote by Woogles
What?

Buy a right handed guitar and flip it over and play it left handed, or buy a left handed bass and get a new nut so the strings are in reverse order.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
v_v

Sometimes I wonder why I keep coming back to UG.

Is there really any disadvantage to playing like he does? Is there anything that makes it "incorrect"? Any way in which it could impede his playing? It looks like a longshot.

Get a lefty and a new nut.
Buy a lefty, string it upside down.

You'll have easier access to higher frets, and you don't have to drill a new strap hole.
Ok thanks to all the replys its been great hearing the feedback,

Especially from GM Jack,

Your video of Stan seargant was great,

And i don't see why its incorrect,

there is no correct way of playing,

You just play the way you feel most comfortable,

or thats what i tell myself. haha,

Pictures here.

Quote by gm jack
Quote by skater dan0

This, with a nut suitable for the direction you string it.

He is not alone in playing with the strings the 'wrong' way round. After 3 years of learning that way, I don't think it will he any hindrance at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLyV5JLvxM0

This.

Regardless of the various arguments presented in this thread, there is no incorrect way to play bass or to make music in general. TS, just play however you feel most comfortable. Who gives a **** what other people have to say about it?

Also, here is another example (in addition to the Stan Sargeant vid) of reverse stringing "hindering" the ability of a bassist. Enjoy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TF4sJHBIYEo
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
Funky Muthafucka Of The Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 To Join.
UG Irish Clan-Póg mo thóin
Quote by Caustic
Beast Within, you're awesome.
if that way has worked for you before who cares if you look stupid
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Team Lime Green!
I agree with you on the looking stupid,

its not the main concern,

its mainly the bass playing,

but i can't get any higher than 12th fret without problems...

thats one of my main concerns.
Quote by SammyRhyno
I agree with you on the looking stupid,

its not the main concern,

its mainly the bass playing,

but i can't get any higher than 12th fret without problems...

thats one of my main concerns.

So buy the lefty, restring, and replace the nut. Either that or you could modify the upper horn on a righty to allow access to the higher frets, but that might cause some balance issues and unless you are any good at woodworking it would tend to look like shit.
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
Quote by Caustic
It's not often I do, but I'm going to go ahead and be a jerk here. In my opinion, saying "there's no incorrect way to play music" is asinine and ignorant, and an affront to music itself. As with any art, there are correct way to do things; even those who break conventions do so according to their own strict guidelines.

People are constantly improving and perfecting the musical process, both on the theoretical and instrumental levels. This has been going on for centuries and centuries. There are hundreds and hundreds of instruments developed in all parts of the world that are obsolete now because there is something that can do everything they can and more, better.

Notice all the work you're going to have to put into turning your bass into an inverted lefty? That should send up some red flags. The human race long ago decided on the lower-to-higher setup for the guitar and viol families, and has stuck with it.

I'm not saying you CAN'T do this thing to your bass. I'm just saying it is incorrect, and will cause you more complications than I think it's worth. You can strum your bass with a taco for all I care, I'm just saying it's better to learn the established norm.

We can still be friends though.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

Jeff Schmidt is an awesome bassist that plays this way, you should look into it. But even he has stated that the tuning has helped and hindered in some places.

Does this tuning afect your chords? (as in, can you pull them off easily)
I think simply buying a right handed and playing inverted would be much easier and cost effective.

I have a friend who plays bass that way and is one of the best bassists that I know, so there is nothing "wrong" with playing like that.

And if your worried about looking stupid...which I don't think having an upside down headstock would make you look stupid...just throw down an amazing bass solo or seven, that might remedy that ;p
I can play chords quite well,

i practice chords quite often cause it started off as a struggle,

but i find chords the easiest part of playing now.
Quote by WhyLater
It's not often I do, but I'm going to go ahead and be a jerk here. (1) In my opinion, saying "there's no incorrect way to play music" is asinine and ignorant, and an affront to music itself. (2) As with any art, there are correct way to do things; even those who break conventions do so according to their own strict guidelines.

(3) People are constantly improving and perfecting the musical process, both on the theoretical and instrumental levels. This has been going on for centuries and centuries. (4) There are hundreds and hundreds of instruments developed in all parts of the world that are obsolete now because there is something that can do everything they can and more, better.

(5) Notice all the work you're going to have to put into turning your bass into an inverted lefty? That should send up some red flags. (6) The human race long ago decided on the lower-to-higher setup for the guitar and viol families, and has stuck with it.

I'm not saying you CAN'T do this thing to your bass. I'm just saying it is incorrect, and will cause you more complications than I think it's worth. You can strum your bass with a taco for all I care, I'm just saying it's better to learn the established norm.

We can still be friends though.

1) There's no need to respond so aggressively to an alternate point of view. This is a discussion, not an argument and overly judgmental (as well as insulting) statements do nothing more than act as a detriment to the progress of the thread.

2) This statement makes little sense to me. Maybe I am alone in this, but I view music (and art in general) as being about expressing oneself rather than just following existing rules and guidelines. Music could not be where it is today without constant innovation and a "redefining" of rules. For example, I am sure that when Larry Graham created the style of slap bass he was told by others that his technique was incorrect. Although this is technically true, does it make "slap bass" sound any less badass? This same argument can be made for bass modification. The first fretless electric, the first thumb-rest (and by this I actually mean THUMB-rest, as in the one above the strings, not the finger-rest which Fender commonly put below the strings on many of their early basses), the first shaved-down neck, the fist piccolo bass. These things were probably all frowned upon initially, and yet they are now commonly utilized in many types of music. In some cases I have seen reverse-stringing of a bass allow an individual to play a much more "chordal" style with greater comfort. How is innovation/change an affront to music? In my eyes, it is quite possibly the biggest complement to music (and art in general).

3) Yes, people are constantly changing the musical process on the theoretical and instrumental levels. However "improving" and "perfecting" are entirely subjective.
This man (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BynUZOJc8QI) has obviously improved his picking technique to a point of near perfection, yet, to me, the music which he produces still sounds like utter shit (not that I have anything against Flight of the Bumblebee, I just hate the sound of him playing it).

4) No instrument is ever obsolete. Certain tones can only be obtained through the use of certain instruments. Using your logic, I would have to say that the double bass has become an obsolete instrument due to the introduction of the electric bass. After all, one cannot argue that a double bass is more playable, efficient, or versatile than a modern electric bass. However, the double bass will never be obsolete because there are certain tones which can only be produced through its use. In short, music is not about efficiency.

5) Many people shave down the necks of their basses in order to increase the instruments playability. There is a great deal of work involved in doing this correctly (moreso than is required for reverse stringing). Personally, I find thin necks entirely uncomfortable as I started out on a p-bass copy and developed my own playing style around the use of a rather "meaty" neck. Now, through my own interaction with other musicians I have found that my fretting hand technique is considered "correct", and this is why I am able to play comfortably on thicker necks. But, I have seen many people create beautiful music on basses with toothpick-thin necks (often with their thumb laying over the top of the fingerboard in a classically "incorrect" manner). Does the fact that they play with an "incorrect" fretting hand technique make their music sound any less sweet? No, it doesn't. If TS wants to modify a bass in order to make it more comfortable for him to play then he should be able to do so without taking a lot of shit. It's his decision.

6) Why should this be a determining factor. The human race (and more specifically smaller factions of it) has decided many, many things over the years, the majority of them stupid. TS, make your own decisions based on the advantages/disadvantages to you, not on the opinions of others?
Quote by Caustic
Quote by watchingmefall
One more question. How do you slap?

I'm not putting you down, but part of me is very curious.

I can slap,

just by following techniques from my old bass teacher,

and some youtube lessons from victor wooten,

But my only struggle is popping,

cause my finger ends are positioned towards the lower strings,

so for speed reasons im not the fastest popper,

i can't get my fingers to the right string in time.

So thats what i need to work on alot,

but my slapping is ok,

but im best with a pick,

I usually play alot of punk bass lines,

like Anti-Flag and Rancid.
Do you slap all the strings or do you pop the lower ones? B/c I have a horrible habit of slapping all the strings(even my high C). I just never really got good with popping...
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
Quote by Victory2134
Do you slap all the strings or do you pop the lower ones? B/c I have a horrible habit of slapping all the strings(even my high C). I just never really got good with popping...

Yea i slap on all my strings,

thought i'd experiment instead of just using my fingers,

get the big thumb out and slap more often cause i already had lots of knowledge in slap and pop,

but cause i cant get my hand down quick enough on the fret board i ennd up popping the lower strings.

which sucks...

cause i don't get a great sound from popping lower notes,

cause of the guage of string i use on my current bass,

but when i can pop for example during a solo i get a great funk sound.

it doesn't just buzz out.

but yea the habits good,

gives you more of attack and an agressive sound when your constantly slapping.
Quote by Beast_Within
1) There's no need to respond so aggressively to an alternate point of view. This is a discussion, not an argument and overly judgmental (as well as insulting) statements do nothing more than act as a detriment to the progress of the thread.

2) This statement makes little sense to me. Maybe I am alone in this, but I view music (and art in general) as being about expressing oneself rather than just following existing rules and guidelines. Music could not be where it is today without constant innovation and a "redefining" of rules. For example, I am sure that when Larry Graham created the style of slap bass he was told by others that his technique was incorrect. Although this is technically true, does it make "slap bass" sound any less badass? This same argument can be made for bass modification. The first fretless electric, the first thumb-rest (and by this I actually mean THUMB-rest, as in the one above the strings, not the finger-rest which Fender commonly put below the strings on many of their early basses), the first shaved-down neck, the fist piccolo bass. These things were probably all frowned upon initially, and yet they are now commonly utilized in many types of music. In some cases I have seen reverse-stringing of a bass allow an individual to play a much more "chordal" style with greater comfort. How is innovation/change an affront to music? In my eyes, it is quite possibly the biggest complement to music (and art in general).

3) Yes, people are constantly changing the musical process on the theoretical and instrumental levels. However "improving" and "perfecting" are entirely subjective.
This man (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BynUZOJc8QI) has obviously improved his picking technique to a point of near perfection, yet, to me, the music which he produces still sounds like utter shit (not that I have anything against Flight of the Bumblebee, I just hate the sound of him playing it).

4) No instrument is ever obsolete. Certain tones can only be obtained through the use of certain instruments. Using your logic, I would have to say that the double bass has become an obsolete instrument due to the introduction of the electric bass. After all, one cannot argue that a double bass is more playable, efficient, or versatile than a modern electric bass. However, the double bass will never be obsolete because there are certain tones which can only be produced through its use. In short, music is not about efficiency.

5) Many people shave down the necks of their basses in order to increase the instruments playability. There is a great deal of work involved in doing this correctly (moreso than is required for reverse stringing). Personally, I find thin necks entirely uncomfortable as I started out on a p-bass copy and developed my own playing style around the use of a rather "meaty" neck. Now, through my own interaction with other musicians I have found that my fretting hand technique is considered "correct", and this is why I am able to play comfortably on thicker necks. But, I have seen many people create beautiful music on basses with toothpick-thin necks (often with their thumb laying over the top of the fingerboard in a classically "incorrect" manner). Does the fact that they play with an "incorrect" fretting hand technique make their music sound any less sweet? No, it doesn't. If TS wants to modify a bass in order to make it more comfortable for him to play then he should be able to do so without taking a lot of shit. It's his decision.

6) Why should this be a determining factor. The human race (and more specifically smaller factions of it) has decided many, many things over the years, the majority of them stupid. TS, make your own decisions based on the advantages/disadvantages to you, not on the opinions of others?

Beast Within, you make a good person with which to pontificate! Let's see if we can't clear some of these things up.

1) I'm sorry you interpreted that statement as insulting, or detrimental. But I believe that saying "there's no wrong way to play music" is what's truly detrimental. The statement is in keeping with the modern fallacy of the same song. We live in an age of subjectivity that often goes too far. In my opinion, anyway. And, seeing as how I qualify my statements, I can't see how they harm discussion.

2) This statement goes along with the first. Honestly, the facts you listed (quite knowledgeable, by the way) don't seem to be in opposition to my statement. All these innovations made sense. They didn't take it too far. As far as art being about expression, well, here we've stumbled upon an old argument. I too believe that art should be about expressing oneself, but that's only half of it; it should also relay this expression to the audience. Again, it's too common today for people to call anything "art". However, this topic is not relevant to the TS's situation, so let's leave it for another day. To get back on topic, I'd like to note that all the advances you listed are indeed examples of unconventionality; however, inverting your string order, unlike your examples, is in diametric opposition to the established technique.

3) Now you've presented a contradiction. You assert that music, as an art, is about self-expression, and then you judge another musician's self-expression (though I agree with you, it's not too exciting to listen to). Moreover, that single instance of change does not necessarily constitute improvement - that would be like calling every mutation in a species as evolution, although the unfitting mutations of course die off. Finally, I was more talking about the theoretical and instrumental aspects anyway, as signified by the words "theoretical and instrumental".

4) You're right, the electric bass cannot get the same tones or feels as a double bass. Meaning it can't do everything a double bass can. Also, last I checked, double basses are still very widely used. I was referring to instruments that are not used at all, that you may find in museums, that probably gave birth to more efficient and practical instruments of the same vein. THESE instruments are obsolete. I would not be impressed if a man regularly played an ancestor of the clarinet (not as an exhibition, mind, but as an instrumental choice), I would think it's ridiculous. I admit, though, that this subject was a bit tangential.

5) Modifications like neck filing are parallel to the creation of the instrument, they're things that may be done in the shop, so since reversing the nut is counter intuitive, I feel it makes sense to be wary of it. And professionals playing with incorrect technique, well... that's a dead horse honestly. It's obviously possible to play with incorrect technique (see: strumming with taco), but it's more effective to play with correct technique. As far as TS's choice, I clearly said he can play any way he wants for all I care, it IS his decision. I was just giving my input, why I think it's a bad idea. By my word, good sir, I was giving shit to nobody.

6) Now you've made the human race and groups of individuals synonymous, making this point completely moot I'm afraid.

TS, I realize that you probably don't care about debates like this. So I'll say again. DO make your own decision. I won't be personally offended if you choose to play with your strings inverted. But, seeing as how this a forum and all, I decided to give you my input.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

if you end up continuing your own way, get a 2+2 headstock so it doesnt look weird

but i do agree with why later
Originally Posted by smb

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all