This is purely hypothetical, I just want an answer. Thank you.

1) The head has 2x 8ohm jacks. It's 150w @ 4ohm and 100w @ 8ohm. (These numbers are specifically listed on the head.)

2) The cabinet(s) have 1x 4ohm jack and 1x 16ohm jack.

Is the head intended to have 1 speaker cable from each of the 8ohm jacks it has running to either the 4ohm or 16ohm slots on the cabinet?

Thanks for your help, again this is hypothetic and I'm just trying to understand this head/cabinet/ohm business.
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
I hate to bump after only an hour but I'm second page and this is something I've been curious about for months upon months.
Quote by sargasm
it depends.

the two speaker jacks are in parallel with each other so if you connected two 16 ohm cabinets, you'd get a total impedance of 8 ohms. If you're running just one cab right now, you can plug it from the 8 ohm jack to the 4 ohm speaker out or 16 speaker out. If the amp is made to put out 150 watts at 4 ohms then it is safe to run a 4 ohm cab. You don't have to worry so much about mismatching impedance with a solid state head as long as you don't drop below the minimum.

what it seems to me is that the cabinet that is designed to be paired with the amp has an impedance of 8 ohms so that plugging in a full stack (1 cab per input) would give you the full 150 watts.
I think I gotcha. But that's not quite the answer I was looking for. Thank for a response however!

If the cabinet has a 16 and 4ohm jack, would you plug 1 jack from the 8ohm jack in the head into the 4ohm slot on each cabinet, would that have the whole stack running 150w @ 4ohm? Or would the cabinets be running at 2ohm since each of the cabinets are at 4?

Would the other option have to be the 1 jack in each 8ohm on the head, to both of the 16ohm jacks on the cabinet for the whole stack running at 100w @ 8ohm?

Hope this all makes sense.
Quote by sargasm
Quote by `digitaL.braVo
I think I gotcha. But that's not quite the answer I was looking for. Thank for a response however!

If the cabinet has a 16 and 4ohm jack, would you plug 1 jack from the 8ohm jack in the head into the 4ohm slot on each cabinet, would that have the whole stack running 150w @ 4ohm? Or would the cabinets be running at 2ohm since each of the cabinets are at 4?

If you plug both into the 4 ohm jack, you'd be running at 2 ohms, which is bad.

Would the other option have to be the 1 jack in each 8ohm on the head, to both of the 16ohm jacks on the cabinet for the whole stack running at 100w @ 8ohm?

Hope this all makes sense.

This is what should be done.
Awesome. Thank you for the clear direct answer. That's exactly what my curiosity was about!! Now I gotta figure out why the cabinet was made with 4 & 16ohm jacks and not 4 & 8 lol.

Ok, it wasn't so hypothetical. Sue me lol.
Quote by sargasm