on the right side of the pickguard, above the pickup. i have seen these on many basses, and i was wondering what is for. mine doesn't have one.

EDIT: i used the t-bird picture because it was because its the only picture i could find with the thing on it.
oh. i have always been told to not use my thumb, because "i look silly". lol
question about that rest here, could u put it on the other side and use it to rest your thumb on? because i have serious trouble keeping my thumb anchored.
Quote by cwl
oh. i have always been told to not use my thumb, because "i look silly". lol

Haha on the rare occasion I play bass (that WILL change) I use my thumb quite a bit. Comes of playing fingerstyle guitar.
Is that considered bad technique in the bass world?
Quote by Les Paul57
question about that rest here, could u put it on the other side and use it to rest your thumb on? because i have serious trouble keeping my thumb anchored.

yes you can, but you could also rest your thumb on your pickups
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Quote by sonsie
yes you can, but you could also rest your thumb on your pickups

yeah i'm tryign to do that too but i always end up resting it on the e string because it's more comforatable there so if i get a thumb rest maybe it'll stay; thanks.
question about that rest here, could u put it on the other side and use it to rest your thumb on? because i have serious trouble keeping my thumb anchored

what i usually do i use my thumb to mute all the strings im not playing.
Quote by Nightfyre
Haha on the rare occasion I play bass (that WILL change) I use my thumb quite a bit. Comes of playing fingerstyle guitar.
Is that considered bad technique in the bass world?

It depends, do you consider Sting a bad bassist?

Sting and Frampton's bassist John Regan use the thumb technique quite a bit.

For those who are interested, when the rest bar is above the pickups its a thumb rest; below, its called a tug bar.
Quote by anarkee
It depends, do you consider Sting a bad bassist?

Sting and Frampton's bassist John Regan use the thumb technique quite a bit.

For those who are interested, when the rest bar is above the pickups its a thumb rest; below, its called a tug bar.

errrr....
Quote by Deliriumbassist
errrr....

It was meant as a rhetorical question, lol.

I've never been a huge fan of the Police myself though I love Stuart Copeland and Andy Summers as musicians.

Plus after two glasses of chardonnay, he's unfortunately the first one that came to mind.
Ok--

"Ben that charming British bass player and manly. handsome and studly mod also uses this technique!"

Quote by anarkee
Ok--

"Ben that charming British bass player and manly. handsome and studly mod also uses this technique!"

Lol

I went and looked at Delirium's profile pic for a reference image against what I had in mind.

Nice Swedish impression.
Thanks for your help, I didn't want to start off with a bad habit.