I've been looking around at Cloning Companies like Ceriatone, Metro, Splawn, Germino, blah blah blah and they all have their plexi, JTM45, JCM800, and bluesbreaker clones but is there a company that makes a clone of the Major?
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

1) Splawn is't quite a clone company. Not quite.
2) I'm pretty sure there isn't, but I've not heavily researched the topic.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
If there is, I want to know also.
Me wantee.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
i want to know also, it would be sweet.
Gear:

MIA Fender Stratocaster
Jackson Kelly KE3
Ibanez Universe
Marshall JCM 800
Orange Jim Root Terror
Mesa 2x12
Ovation Custom Balladeer
pedals and such in profile
Splawn makes Marshall clones?

Also, I can't say I've seen any company that has a Major clone.
Click for charity.

Pidgeot of the Pokemon Club
PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
I would send Nik at Ceriatone or George at Metroamps an email and ask if they can build one for you. There are schematics and designs for the Major around and Mercury Magnetics makes transformers and chokes that are to Marshall major spec (they're pricey, the 200 watt OT, PT and choke alone will cost you about $900)

http://www.mercurymagnetics.com/pages/mainframe.htm

Heyboer may make transformers for 200 watters as well but I'm not sure, they don't list their products on their site. What you could possibly do is buy those and ask a builder to build you a clone of the Marshall Major using those trannies. Contact the guys at Ceriatone or Metropoulos, and ask them about it. They may be up to doing the job, but it most likely won't be cheap.
Last edited by al112987 at Sep 13, 2008,
I just asked over in the Vintage and Reissue thread. Hopefully between these two threads we'll get something, I too would love to know where to get such an amp.
EDIT: AHHH! Ninja poster! Thanks for your help.
Last edited by Nightfyre at Sep 13, 2008,
Quote by al112987
Just out of curiosity, why a Marshall Major?

Yeah, 200 watts of tube power is for stadium gigs. Hell, Jimmy Page converted one of his super leads to a major ( 200 watts) and says he only used it a 3 with a pedal for distortion.
Yeah, but the clean headroom would be nice.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I don't actually know if he converted his amp to a major or not (I don't know the difference in circuits between the major and super lead), I do know that by '73 he was running a quad of KT88s* in his Marshall super leads and those are its very likely that those amps were putting out about 200 watts. I mean, a normal stock el34 super lead can put out over 200 watts when its cranked, with the headroom of KT88s, its not unreasonable to believe that his amps were running close to 200 watts. I think he did use a Major at some point early on, but the super leads with KT88s were always his main amp during the 70s. At least to the best of my knowledge.

*Ok, some people debate this, some say that its more likely he was running KT66s, others swear that he uses el34s, but I've heard a KT88 driven super lead and it nails Pagey tone so well its almost scary. No one really knows that the deal with his amps were though, whether they were modded for more gain, a master volume, whatever. All I know is that it's loud and that tone from TSRTS sounds like the voice of god, and it has a much cleaner character than a cranked el-34 amp.
Last edited by al112987 at Sep 13, 2008,
Honestly there's no proof Page was using KT88s in '73. All that's really known for sure is he first mentions in '77 that he had KT88s installed in his Marshall "100s", he never uses the term Super Lead, by Tony Franks in New York. Despite Page's own words Doug Roccaforte claims he talked to one of Page's amp techs and says Page ran EL34s and had an extra preamp tube added. Again there's a little confusion if he was talking about only '73 or the rest of Zeppelin from there. Doug seems to have no problem getting the SRTS tone though with EL34s, almost a little better than MyOpicVoid's KT88 clips.

This is one of Page's actual Marshalls from a tech in England. The extra pot is a master volume. The extra jacks are for an effects loop. The extra preamp tube is assumed to be for the effects loop. The added preamp tube backs up Roccaforte's claims. But dare I say it, KT88s in there. Most people argue though this isn't a Zeppelin head, the voltage selector is on the back, Page had the US export amps which had the selector on the front. The debate goes on.

And for what it's worth the closest Page got to using an actual Major were the PA heads which he used all of about 3 times. Read my CROTM for the rundown of his amps.

Hope we didn't hijack the thread... sorry VoodooCow
Last edited by Whole Lotta Led at Sep 14, 2008,
Quote by darkarbiter7
Yeah, but the clean headroom would be nice.

Unless your playing very large gigs, a 50 watt amp with efficent speakers will have enough headroom. 200 watts is just ridiculous.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
Whole Lotta Led:

Is this the Roccaforte clip you're talking about?

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=260473

(on post 9)?

I've heard that before, I don't know if it sounds closer than the Myopic Void clips, but its hard to tell, this one nails the Page clean tone, and the Myopic Void clip nails the Page riffing tone and lead tone. Are there any more Roccaforte clips around the web?
The clean headroom would be good, but I really think the Major sounds a little different than the other Marshalls. Plus it's (one of) the Marshalls that SRV was using for a while. Check out this vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yNwIKhneEA

I'm pretty sure he's using the Major with a Dumble Steel String singer there, with a little more emphasis on the Major for his bite.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

Quote by VoodooCow229
The clean headroom would be good, but I really think the Major sounds a little different than the other Marshalls. Plus it's (one of) the Marshalls that SRV was using for a while. Check out this vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yNwIKhneEA

I'm pretty sure he's using the Major with a Dumble Steel String singer there, with a little more emphasis on the Major for his bite.

You'd never even be able to get it past 2 at a gig, and along with running a quad of KT88s and an output section that is more likened to a hifi sound system than a guitar amplifier, you're going to get very clean for very long, unless you plan to play at Ritchie Blackmore volumes. Unless thats what you want.... I don't even think anyone is currently making an attenuator that can work on a 200 watt amp.

I don't know, if you REALLY want one for that sound, there are ways you can have one built, just think before paying $3000+ to have built for you a possibly unnecessary amplifier.

You could get a 50 watt plexi, snip the bright cap, and have enough headroom for any gig.
Last edited by al112987 at Sep 14, 2008,
Seeing as everyone had different explanations for my statement, I forgot to tell you that this was in an interview in '77 where he spoke about his 200 watt conversion.

Sorry for making you guys go up in a frenzy, I'll try to keep my idiot button turned off for the rest of the day.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably just mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Please, not John Frusciante
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
Quote by al112987
Whole Lotta Led:

Is this the Roccaforte clip you're talking about?

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=260473

(on post 9)?

I've heard that before, I don't know if it sounds closer than the Myopic Void clips, but its hard to tell, this one nails the Page clean tone, and the Myopic Void clip nails the Page riffing tone and lead tone. Are there any more Roccaforte clips around the web?

Yep that's the one. He did post other clips in another thread at TGP it was a cross between Tea for One and Since I've Been Loving You, can't find it though I might have it saved on my computer.

I don't hear '73 as much as I used to in Myopic's clips, he did post EL34 clips as well which seemed to have a little more bite and crunch. I mean I still can hear similarties especially when he's on the neck pickup, sounds No Quarter-ish from '73. KT88's definitely sounded more circa '75 to me though.
Maybe you're right. I don't know.

Page's '75 tone (I usually associate w/ the Earl's Court recordings) sound more jangly, and less saturation than the Myopic Void clips.

I guess I can definitely hear some of the '75 tone in the Myopic Void clips as well. I don't know, fundamentally, I don't really think the '75 sound is THAT different from the '73 sound, they both have that airy tone and distinct high midrange quack that I just don't hear from '72 (and prior) recordings.
Well keep in mind the guy from Myopic Void said he was running his at 7 or 8 volume wise. As mentioned Page said he only ran his at 3. He sounded tighter and cleaner in '75 than '73 in my opinion. At times I say he sound a little glassy too in '75 if that makes sense, it's more noticeable during the US tour in '75 than Earl's Court.

Everyone hears things differently I guess. On another board where he posted his clips a few guys said they heard the quack in the KT88s and another said he heard it in the 34s. I know I've changed my opinion on this more than once
Quote by Whole Lotta Led
Well keep in mind the guy from Myopic Void said he was running his at 7 or 8 volume wise. As mentioned Page said he only ran his at 3. He sounded tighter and cleaner in '75 than '73 in my opinion. At times I say he sound a little glassy too in '75 if that makes sense, it's more noticeable during the US tour in '75 than Earl's Court.

Everyone hears things differently I guess. On another board where he posted his clips a few guys said they heard the quack in the KT88s and another said he heard it in the 34s. I know I've changed my opinion on this more than once

I definitely agree. I'll probably go searching for his el34 clips now.

Both Page's 75 and 73 tones are trebley, I completely understand what you mean by "glassier", his tone in '75 overall was just thinner and less saturated, and it even had that single coil like top end, though I'm sure a lot of that came from the t-tops.

I just feel like there was a pretty big change in tone between '72 and '73, and that '73 character is preserved in '75 though it does sound very different. Funny though, I actually think '77 tone sounds completely different from the other two, more rolled off highs and an almost muddy midrange, but its hard to say because there just aren't many good recordings from '77.
Maybe the TS would be more interested to listen to how a Strat sounds like through a Major, considering that he TS has one.
TONE!!!
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
Last edited by Hultan at Sep 14, 2008,
Quote by al112987
I definitely agree. I'll probably go searching for his el34 clips now.

Both Page's 75 and 73 tones are trebley, I completely understand what you mean by "glassier", his tone in '75 overall was just thinner and less saturated, and it even had that single coil like top end, though I'm sure a lot of that came from the t-tops.

I just feel like there was a pretty big change in tone between '72 and '73, and that '73 character is preserved in '75 though it does sound very different. Funny though, I actually think '77 tone sounds completely different from the other two, more rolled off highs and an almost muddy midrange, but its hard to say because there just aren't many good recordings from '77.

'77 varied a bit in my opinion, mainly because of his playing. The LA shows actually sounded pretty good to me, sort of cross between '73 and '75. Either way though, I still much prefer his Hiwatt years. Another topic for another thread

Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss this more, nice to have another Page fanatic on here