Ahh, I just recently bought a used Budda SD 18 II. After playing it, I turned it off and took out the rectifier tube cause I thought it was loose since there was considerable tube rattling when i turned the volume up. Couldn't detect any problems so I put it back in. Later, I turn my amp on. I let it warm up for a minute, and then I turned the standby switch off, then the amp shuts down.. Now it won't work. Any advice? It's most likely the tubes, but should a rectifier tube do that to an amp? Just hoping that the tubes are the only problem. Thanks
...the amp probably can't function properly without all its tubes in place.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
ermm, the tubes are in place.. I put the rect. tube back in place. But out of curiousity, what would happen if there was a tube missing and I turned it on? Although I am almost certain that wasn't the problem
Preamp tubes aren't too important, I take mine out the amp while its on all the time. I do flip the amp on standby so I don't hear destructive noises when I pull the tube and replace it.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Ok, when you say the amp shuts down, do you mean that NOTHING turns on? (ie. indicator light, tube heaters)
yep, NOTHING turns on. Indicator, tubes, nothing. I saw the tubes warming up when I turned the amp on, although I am not sure about the rectifier tube. I think it wasn't glowing. Anyway, I turned the standby switch off, them the amp completely turned off. Now it won't work at all
Probably blew a fuse. After you check the fuse, make sure the rectumfrier is in all the way since that could've blew the the fuse.
You should take it to an amp tech if you haven't already thought of that... you don't wanna be messing around inside an amp unless you know how to fix it (in which case you probably wouldn't have created this thread in the first place)
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
As long as he doesn't have to get in the chassis swapping a fuse would be pretty simple.
Quote by Kevin Saale
As long as he doesn't have to get in the chassis swapping a fuse would be pretty simple.

Really? I always thought the fuse would be inside the chassis. Just goes to show how much I know about amps.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
I guess it could be, many amps have more than one. The main fuse is usually a screw out deal on the back or front of the chassis on the outside.
There are two, if the indicator lights are not turning on, the mains fuse is blown for sure, switch that out first, and if things are still not working, take it to the tech unless you know how to change the HT fuse under the chassis.
i checked out my fuse, and it's definitely blown. I am assuming replacing it will be efficient in fixing my amp? Also, if I replace the power tubes (el 84), do I still need to rebias them even if I use the same type of tubes?
^It would be best, though the amp should still work even if you don't rebias.